My PC doesn't recognize my primary Hard Disk anymore

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Vipera, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Vipera
    OP

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    ////

Last edited by Vipera, Nov 14, 2015
  2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Try to connect your SSD to different SATA port, what SSD is that?

Luckily (or unluckily), BIOS didn't pick up SSD. That makes troubleshooting a lot faster.

3. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Your SSD's firmware might have been corrupted. Unlikely, but possible.

4. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Maybe "Clan Wars" deleted your entire hard drive.

5. Vipera
    OP

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    ////

6. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Your SSD failing likely caused the BSOD, not the other way around.

Fishaman P and Originality like this.
  7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If the SSD's death caused the BSoD (e.g. if a system call could no longer read the system files due to IO error with the drive), it's very possible. Some of the earlier generation SSDs had a lower life expectancy than the current generation, so if it's an old SSD (meaning more than a few years) then that could be your answer. It's also possible the PCB/controllers got fried, but from what I've seen in the past that is less common.

8. Vipera
    OP

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    ////

9. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    This may sound rather biased, and other members of the forum may jump in and disagree with me, but insofar as reliability goes, SSD's are not the best.

I'm currently a Ph.D. student in Computer Engineering, and after studying flash technology and how it works in regards to SSD's, I am, quite frankly, amazed that they got any of those fuckin' things to work in the first place. They are such incredibly complex pieces of equipment, with such a huge amount of control logic, there are an incredible number of ways something can go wrong.

This has been reflected by the sheer number of controller issues with the devices. Combine that with the fact that flash cells of the size they are currently wear out relatively quickly, and it's a recipe for disaster.

You can probably swap out your drive for a new one from the manufacturer, as it probably had a warranty of more than 4 months. If you want a truly reliable SSD, you need to pay a premium for it. Only large companies like Intel or Samsung even have the resources to debug the things properly.

10. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Yeah, 4 months is too quick for a SSD to die and will definitely be covered by the manufacturer.

Cheaper SSDs use cheaper flash modules that wear out faster (I've heard some are only rated for 2000-3000 read/write cycles, and use over-provisioning to compensate). Average lifespan for those is 1-2 years. Premium SSDs use better components and, now that firmware revisions have fixed the problems with SandForce controllers, should last 3-5 years (still a far cry from the 5-8 year average lifespan of a HDD, with some lasting over 15 years). Some extremely expensive SSDs are rated for 1-5 million read/write cycles, but most are rated 50k-100k cycles.
    Reliability isn't the best in SSDs, but it is improving. Personally, I have a backup runtime set up that regularly dumps an image of my boot SSD to one of my HDDs so I don't lose anything older than a day (2 SSD, 4 HDD setup). My Steam SSD is unprotected because it's just games and the saves are stored on my boot SSD and the game files can always be re-downloaded.

11. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    SSD at this point is still not quite as mature as HDD. RMA that SSD and swap it to Crucial, Plextor, Intel, or Samsung.