My paper's getting boring

Licardo7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, i've been doing a research paper and decided to do it on Buddhism. The problem is that I'm getting bored by it. I've run out of things to right about without it sounding boring and washed down. I'm now talking be the Gautama Buddha but his personal life is sorta boring. If you wanna read it then here:

(The religion I’m going to write about is called Buddhism. I chose this religion because I’ve always been curious about what exactly Buddhist do. There’s always the stereotype that Buddhist always pray and meditate but I don’t believe it. There should be more death into show Buddhism came to be. Also, Buddhism sounds interesting and looks like I can learn a lot of stuff I don’t know. Maybe it will be fun to find out more about this religion.

Buddhism is a group of believes and practices that people say are a religion. Buddhism is teachings given by Siddhartha Gautama who is called “The Buddha” which means “the Awakened One”. He lived northeastern region of the Indian subcontinent. Siddhartha died at around 400 BCE. A lot of Buddhist know a teacher who helps sentient people stop their pain by “understanding the true nature of phenomena” and escape suffering and be reborn into Nirvana.

Buddhism is recognized of being two major branches; the Theravada and Mahayana. Theravada is widespread in Southeast Asia and Mahayana is found throughout East Asia. Although These branches are even more popular in parts of Asia, they are spread through out the entire world.

Buddhists believe in Karma. Karma is “the cycle of suffering and rebirth for each being”. Other wise, what ever you do, a consequence will come back at you. So if you do a deed, you will get good karma and come back and reward you. If you do a rude or mean action, you’ll get bad karma and something bad will happen.

Gautama Buddha was the founder of Buddhism, his clan name was Gautama and also known as “The Buddha”. )

Does anyone have any ideas to 'spice' it up a little and not let it become boring.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make up stuff like Budda could fly or something like that.
smile.gif

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was always able to BS my way through essays and get great scores on them even if i had no idea what i was writing about. I once wrote a 6 page essay on a war I'd never heard of using only the essay question as an information source and got 100% and some extra credit.

My theory on paper writing that's always served me well is write like the narrators of cheesy history or nature documentaries talk. Keeping that in mind you can spice up a paper that sounds too boring by throwing in random extra facts pertaining to the subject, using large and unusual words and trying a different writing style. All of these things can make a paper that's extremely dry sound a lot better.

Let me make an example by re-writing the intro paragraph:

"I have chosen to write about Buddhism because I'm interested in learning more about its religious beliefs and practices. The commonly believed stereotype is that Buddhists are constantly praying and meditating peacefully, but the reality of the history of Buddhism is much darker than people think, and the story of how Buddhism came to be isn't as peaceful as you would expect."

Trimmed down to two sentences and it sounds better.

See what I mean?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more you research, the more you have to add to your paper. How long does this have to be? If you need to lengthen it a little, increase the size of certain punctuation marks (i.e. the period, comma, quotation marks) a little. It's a trick that works well.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I always just do double spaces after each period so that it adds a bit, but isn't noticible. Then I increase the sizes of the margins by a bit (Some teachers check so I make it close but if you put a ruler to it its like 1/8 off. Then I just increase the spacing between characters by a bit. Its noticible but you can just say its the program you use (Say you use something they've never heard of so it counts but its still a real program). I've done this to add full pages sometimes. I 4 apges and needed over 5 and it hit the spot.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
I always just do double spaces after each period so that it adds a bit, but isn't noticible. Then I increase the sizes of the margins by a bit (Some teachers check so I make it close but if you put a ruler to it its like 1/8 off. Then I just increase the spacing between characters by a bit. Its noticible but you can just say its the program you use (Say you use something they've never heard of so it counts but its still a real program). I've done this to add full pages sometimes. I 4 apges and needed over 5 and it hit the spot.

Dude, everybody uses double spaces after each period, question mark, and exclamation point. It's what they teach you to do in school.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
m3rox said:
Dude, everybody uses double spaces after each period, question mark, and exclamation point. It's what they teach you to do in school.

My teachers all require only single spaces after periods because of some parents that complained that people were cheating to lengthen their papers and their kids got worse grades.

Licardo7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
He didn't say he needed to make it longer he said he needed to make it sound more interesting
lecture.gif
Actually, I do need to make it longer. It's suppose to be 3 pages, double spaced (I mean the spaces in between the sentences not the words) and in 14 font. I liked the way you rewrote my paragraph. Sounds way better. So far I got 1 1/2 pages doing everything.

Ok, I'll try to make stuff up. And if my teacher catches it I'll just say my source was a bitch and lied
gbasp.gif

Edit: I got 2 1/2 pages but I'm soooo lazy that I'll take that and just play CS:S the rest of the day
nyanya.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, you didn't even write about the differences between the kinds of Buddhism, and there are also other kinds too, the third main type, Vajrayana, also called Tantric Buddhism is probably the most interesting too (two words, sexual yoga).

CRXsi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
My teachers all require only single spaces after periods because of some parents that complained that people were cheating to lengthen their papers and their kids got worse grades.

I call B.S. That is the most riduculous thing I've ever heard. You expect us to by that pile of stink? Show me the printed guidlines your school issued.

Licardo, where do you attend school? I want to make sure my kids are getting a better education than the grammar deprived curriculum you seem to be getting.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah, Vajrayana and Zen Buddhism are both endless sources of both information and entertainment.

Koans are important, maybe Discordian Buddhism. And you've entirely forgot to mention the three different types of Buddha, handling of gods in (various different sects) of Buddhism...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans