Hacking My opinion on Wii Version 4.0

games2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To anyone who cares,

Well, yesterday I updated to 4.0 with high hopes.
It's a good thing I used a specific guide offered by a member of gbatemp.
If I didn't use it, I'd be in trouble...

Well, here's how it went...
After 4.0U was installed, I was thrilled to see the SD card image and button on my system menu, along with my homebrew browser.
I anticipated these things, but I was prepared for the worst. Seeing these, rather than a permanent black screen seriously calmed my nerves.
I tried to play Super Smash Bros. I thought, "Hey, now that I've updated, maybe I'll just play a great classic game while I relax on my bed."
When I loaded the game, I came to a black screen.
The guide said that this game should work, even launched from the SD card. (with a copy still existing in the Wii menu)
Now I'm thinking, "Hey, let me go play some Paper Mario. Nothing like a good old RPG game with a funny-looking plumber."
I launch Paper Mario, which is a non-pirated game, and it doesn't load.
I then tried to install Wads. I was able to successfully install back World of Goo with the WAD Manager after removing it.
I did this for test purposes only. I chose this game simply to test the Wad Manager. I didn't mind losing it in the event of the WAD Manager not functioning correctly.
I then copied World of Goo to my SD card and deleted it from my Wii menu, again unafraid of losing the game.
The game was able to be launched through the SD game launcher. At this point, I grew very happy.
I tried copying Super Mario Bros. 3 (non-pirated) to the SD card and deleting it from the Wii menu, and it was successful.
Here I thought, "Hey, I can copy tons of VC games and apps excluding N64 games, which I can just use PC emulators for."

So, everything's pretty fine now right?
WRONG!
I can no longer play games through the Disk channel. Once I updated, it had overwritten the hacks installed through Softmii.
I expected this. I was still able to play games through either of the two Backup Launchers I installed, 0.3 Gamma and Beta.
So, I figure there's no problem.
Then, I tried to install a WAD...
Out of Memory.
I say, what the hell?
I deleted most of the games from the System Menu and didn't install anything.

Here's how Nintendo's new SD "Soulution" works.
Games are stored on your SD card, but have to be copied to the Wii in order to play.
I do not understand this.
I guess Nintendo hasn't figured out how to load games directly from SD cards.
Even if the games need to occupy some of the Wii's System memory, they should be removed once the game is shutdown.
The saves should be able to be stored on the SD card, but aren't.
They are instead stored on your Wii, leaving you with less space.
So basically, you can hold games onto your SD card, but if you want to play them, they need to be copied to the Wii's system memory.

I don't understand why this is so.
People unaffiliated with Nintendo were able to port emulators to the Wii that load straight from an SD card, or even flash drive.

The 4.0 update is definitely not worth it.
The update is hardly considered beneficial to both pirates and legitimate Virtual Console users.

If you updated, you're better off downgrading back to 3.2.
This is what I ultimately ended up doing.

If you're at version 3.2, I highly recommend you to stay at the version until Nintendo realizes how epically they failed with this update.
I had high hopes for this update, silly me.
Even the ability of having 4 of my legit apps on my apps completely accessible solely through my SD card would be great. It'd save me a relatively high amount of space, considering the Wii's storage capacity.

Hope you enjoyed my review and learned more about the 4.0 update through my review.
Thank you for reading, and please reply with your thoughts about the update.

amzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm...I have vc games and wiiware on my PAL console working fine....I am on a D2PRO chipped console but SD card issues are not a problem for me?...did u install the patched IOS60 as I was having issues with mario Kart not working until I applied that patch...everything is working fine now for me...got all functionality as before apart from starfall hacks (get rid of health and safety screen etc) not working.....WADs install fine....and copy to SDcard and working including N64 games.....

D-Jay

High rulez
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree.

Just stay at 3.2 and be happy. Be patient and wait a few days if you really cannot live without 4.0...

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just used waninkoko's firmware upgrader. No problems at all, can load Super smash bros 64, wii ware games, vc games through the sd card menu no problem. The only problem i have with 4.0 is, is there anyway to get trucha discs to work again? Wad Manager disc won't work anymore
hate2.gif

aml435

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your iso60 did not patch properly.
The same thing happened to me at first.
Try installing one of the many iso60 installers on these boards and see if you can get it to install and patch properly & everything should work.

For some reason, I could never get any of the installers to work for me. They would all freeze up toward the end.
If you have the same problem, or if the VC games still won't work on the SD card, search around for a pre-patched ios60 wad.
That's what I finally had to install to get it all working properly.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
old news are old. Everything the topicstarter found out was written by marcan on hackmii.com weeks ago (why the wii wont get any better). Totally useless topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol