My internet is borked

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, Windows XP Service Pack 3 came out today, so I install it on our 4 computers. My computer was the first to finish, so I began browsing the internet. Then, it just stopped working.

At first we thought maybe SP3 screwed something up. But one of the computers hadn't begun installing it yet as it was still verifying the download and my computer had worked for awhile after it had finished.

So we hook up my computer straight to the internet. It works fine. Any other computer hooked straight to it doesn't though. Just mine.

Trying to go through the router makes my internet stop working. So we thought maybe something happened to our Linksys router or it wasn't compatible with SP3. So we got out our Microsoft router that we used before this one. Nothing changed.

We went and removed SP3 on one of the three computers that couldn't get online at all so that it was on SP2 again. Again, nothing changed.

WTF is going on? Any ideas?

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It came out today?! I thought they'd forgot about XP now that Vista is out.

No ideas but have you tried system restore? I'm not an expert. Can you try your Internet plugged in instead of wireless and see if it works?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jumpman17 said:
So, Windows XP Service Pack 3 came out today, so I install it on our 4 computers. My computer was the first to finish, so I began browsing the internet. Then, it just stopped working.

At first we thought maybe SP3 screwed something up. But one of the computers hadn't begun installing it yet as it was still verifying the download and my computer had worked for awhile after it had finished.

So we hook up my computer straight to the internet. It works fine. Any other computer hooked straight to it doesn't though. Just mine.

Trying to go through the router makes my internet stop working. So we thought maybe something happened to our Linksys router or it wasn't compatible with SP3. So we got out our Microsoft router that we used before this one. Nothing changed.

We went and removed SP3 on one of the three computers that couldn't get online at all so that it was on SP2 again. Again, nothing changed.

WTF is going on? Any ideas?

Ugh. For the love of god, don't call into your ISP about this...chances are I work for them and chances are I've taken a million calls about this particular issue. Basically, this is an MS issue and should be treated as such but no one understands that and continue to call us and bitch about it. For the time being, a direct connection is all that will work for you jumpman. This new SP basically makes your PC believe that a router is a virus and as such will not allow the internet to operate whilst running thru one. At this time, we have no fix for this and chances are you'll need to call MS to get more clarification.

If your router has a reset button, hit it and set up a new network complete with new WEP key and network name. That may fix the issue but I can pretty much guarantee that unless you are using a router from the ISP itself, they will show no pity if you call in with a direct connection working and you're unable to connect to the router's network.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
offtopic84 said:
Call ISP and ask for line check
Yeah, they said everything was fine from what they could tell on their end. They are going to come out tomorrow morning to try to find what's wrong, but if it's nothing wrong on their end, we get charged.

wilddenim said:

No ideas but have you tried system restore? I'm not an expert. Can you try your Internet plugged in instead of wireless and see if it works?
Yeah, the only computer that was running wireless was the laptop. I haven't tried a system restore. I'll try it but I don't think it'll do anything. But hey, I'm out of ideas.

QUOTE(JKR Firefox @ May 6 2008, 11:02 PM)
Ugh. For the love of god, don't call into your ISP about this...chances are I work for them and chances are I've taken a million calls about this particular issue. Basically, this is an MS issue and should be treated as such but no one understands that and continue to call us and bitch about it. For the time being, a direct connection is all that will work for you jumpman. This new SP basically makes your PC believe that a router is a virus and as such will not allow the internet to operate whilst running thru one. At this time, we have no fix for this and chances are you'll need to call MS to get more clarification.

If your router has a reset button, hit it and set up a new network complete with new WEP key and network name. That may fix the issue but I can pretty much guarantee that unless you are using a router from the ISP itself, they will show no pity if you call in with a direct connection working and you're unable to connect to the router's network.
Have you actually received a bunch of calls about this because of SP3? Also, why does only my computer work with a direct connection and not any of the other 3? I even downgraded one of them to SP2.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sorry but everything you guys are suggesting will NOT work...can't you see the connection here? He downloads SP 3 and all of a sudden, the only way he can surf is with a direct connection to the modem. Is that an ISP issue? No. The only thing I could remotely suggest that could work, is to either contact MS for a workaround or reset the network to defaults using the reset button and establish a new network and see if the PC's can connect to that. If you're using ethernet connections from the router, then you could still try the reset but most likely you'll need to contact MS to find out what's gone wrong.

Also, if you're connecting the modem straight to other PC's, powercycle and then try the connection. Anytime you're going straight to the modem, you need to unplug the pwrcord and then plug it back in each time.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I seem to remember something similar happening when I used System Restore once, the internet just died. When you installed a new OS, I guess the same sort of thing happened. I suggest reformatting, then installing SP3, then installing the internet.

Edit: Do this with the "core" computer, the one the internet's hooked up to.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jumpman17 said:
offtopic84 said:
Call ISP and ask for line check
Yeah, they said everything was fine from what they could tell on their end. They are going to come out tomorrow morning to try to find what's wrong, but if it's nothing wrong on their end, we get charged.

wilddenim said:

Yeah, the only computer that was running wireless was the laptop. I haven't tried a system restore. I'll try it but I don't think it'll do anything. But hey, I'm out of ideas.

QUOTE(JKR Firefox @ May 6 2008, 11:02 PM)

Have you actually received a bunch of calls about this because of SP3? Also, why does only my computer work with a direct connection and not any of the other 3? I even downgraded one of them to SP2.

Well, after taking 20 calls in a row, all of them having updated to the latest SP, we figured it out after a while
tongue.gif

When you direct connect to other PC's, reset the modem each time. It will work.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, so thats why I couldn't use SP3 with my router. Although my router didn't completely fux up in my case, it stopped after I reformatted back to SP2 Windows.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Wow, so thats why I couldn't use SP3 with my router. Although my router didn't completely fux up in my case, it stopped after I reformatted back to SP2 Windows.

Hmm, I wonder if reinstalling Windows will fix it. I don't want to format, that takes too much when you have data to transfer around. What do I lose by reinstalling? Anything?

Also, it seems quite clear now that this is Microsoft's problem. I wonder how long until they release a patch to fix this major screw-up?

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Flooded said:
Why not just uninstall the Service Pack? You don't have to reinstall Windows or format just uninstall it and it will go back to SP2.
QUOTE(jumpman17 @ May 6 2008, 10:47 PM) We went and removed SP3 on one of the three computers that couldn't get online at all so that it was on SP2 again. Again, nothing changed.
We did
frown.gif

Flooded

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just read some where that (SP3 by default is giving a bad I.P. range) to the proper I.P. and DNS. So try altering your IP/DNS/Subnet Mask/Standard Gateway/Firewall.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Flooded said:
I just read some where that (SP3 by default is giving a bad I.P. range) to the proper I.P. and DNS. So try altering your IP/DNS/Subnet Mask/Standard Gateway/Firewall.

How would I do that?

Flooded

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Get to the Microsoft Windows desktop.
2. Right-click on My Network Places or Network Neighborhood and click Properties.
3. Right-click on Local Area Connection and click Properties.
4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. If this is not present, you'll need to install this protocol.
5. In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window, select "Use the following IP address" if not already selected and specify the new IP address you wish to use. While entering this data you'll also need to specify the subnet mask and default gateway.

Flooded

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also after that open the start menu click run then type "cmd" then in command promp type "ipconfig /release" then press enter. After that type "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and you should be set. May take a few minutes to reboot your router.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Flooded said:
1. Get to the Microsoft Windows desktop.
2. Right-click on My Network Places or Network Neighborhood and click Properties.
3. Right-click on Local Area Connection and click Properties.
4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. If this is not present, you'll need to install this protocol.
5. In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window, select "Use the following IP address" if not already selected and specify the new IP address you wish to use. While entering this data you'll also need to specify the subnet mask and default gateway.

Only problem with doing that is, his ISP doesn't allow static IP addresses to be used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over