My HD died :-(

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by G0dLiKe, Aug 28, 2009.

Aug 28, 2009

My HD died :-( by G0dLiKe at 7:05 PM (1,557 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. G0dLiKe
    OP

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    This is the most horrible thing happened to me in the last years.

Bought a new Iomega 1TB external drive to back up my data and games and stuff...

I bought it 6 months ago and today, I turned the power on and the drive was making this weird noise trtrtrtrtrtrtrtrtrtr klack continuos...

So this is really painful because this was my backup drive. Argh.

Hate it when stuff like this happens.

2. AbraCadvr

Member AbraCadvr GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  3. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    oooo
    tough luck

4. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    It's really dead then? you could try taking the HDD out of the enclousure maybe and trying it internally in the PC, try some professional tool for getting data back from struggling HDDs, try google.

And when you've backed up your important data to another HDD, you could send it in for warranty (If you could get the data back without taking it out of the enclousure, or if you're careful enough when you took it out.)

5. G0dLiKe
    OP

United States
    I actually did that, took it out of the enclosure(Iomega uses Seagate drives^^) and put it into my computer but still nothing, could not be detected, just starts up and then making this noise like described in first post, like when the head isnt finding data and tries to go parking...

I´m desperate, really I mean there where almost everything on this drive... music, movies, progs, data, games... OMG.

6. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Welcome to 1TB hard drives, a world of extremely high capacity at the cost of extremely high failure rate. Seriously. Look it up sometime :|

7. testatura

Member testatura GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    hmmm trtrtrtr klack.. is like really bad sign,i had in office 2 months back same situation and that sound continuosly.. disk was full of work data,so we were like really depressed ,there are people that can retrive data but here for 1tb disk recovery si moreless 2000€,so we decided not to do that.. 

but maybe in your case its not like that,fingers crossed   [​IMG]

8. G0dLiKe
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I know, I looked for some professional data rescue but the prices are insane...

Guess I have to suck on it and well, at least I have copied my games with WBFS manager onto my 500GB HD which I´m using with my Wii(Unbelievable but true, 718GB converts to 330GB when using USB Loaders).

9. ozguy

Member ozguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As a last resort.....
    Yes, I know it sounds silly, but try this....

Put the drive in a press-seal (aka ziploc in the US) bag in the freezer overnight, then let it thaw for 12 hours.
    If the head in the drive is unable to move, or the drive platters are not rotating, this will sometimes unstick them.

Note: this is usually only a temporary fix. It may work for a few mins then die again. So use that time to grab the most important stuff you need off the drive rahter than just trying to dump everything.

Here is an article that discusses this method:
    http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/f...cover-data.html

I have personally used it myself with success on old drives. I see no reason why it should not work with newer drives.

(woohoo, 100th post!)

10. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Seriously, that could work? That's awesome.

11. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    ouch that sucks. anyone have SSDs? apparently its rally better tha normal hdds. SSDs have NO moving parts and is flash based memories. they are VERY expensive though. are they supported with usbloaders?

12. bula

Member bula GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 4.3.6 it saved my but ......

13. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    If the drive is making the noises he has described, it has suffered a 'head crash'.

This is when the arm that reads the platters, imagine something like the needle arm on an old record player, has collapsed and is contacting the platters.

The freezer trick or software data recovery tools will not work. The old option in this case is professional data recovery, where they remove your platters in a clean room and install them into the shell of another hd. This can cost hundred of dollars.

Sorry man, I'd say your data is gone forever unless you are willling to pony up some serious cash.

14. Matt93

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You might want to go with a RAID setup next time, you'll never lose your data then. I'm planning on getting a RAID1 enclosure once I've got the extra money.

15. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    christ 1TB aswell, maybe you could send it back with the warrenty and express how much you would like to keep your data and how there malfunctioning device is at fault, then maybe they can save your data for FREE [​IMG]

16. ViciousXUSMC

Newcomer ViciousXUSMC Advanced Member

United States
    1TB drives do not have a really high fail rate, atleast not the good ones.

1.5TB is doing pretty good now too, but 2TB I wouldnt touch. Very high fail rate and very high cost.

All I can say is expect a HDD failure always because it will happen. 1 Week, 1 Month, 1 Year or even 1 Decade.

For your computer and its files programs like Acronis are great to keep backups of all your files incuding an actual image of your drive so you can easily recover to exactly where you left off if you have a failure.

If you want to take it up a notch get or build a windows home server to both backup and serve your files.

For wii games since they do not use a windows partition you could extract the .iso and then back it up, or I noticed my wii game manage has a clone option, so I guess it clones everything to another drive.

When you have over $1000 of games on a disk, $80 or so for a hard drive is not asking much to protect it.

17. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's not a backup unless you've got the data stored somewhere else as well.

18. G0dLiKe
    OP

United States
    Nah, I dont think so, I bought it on Amazon and they don´t care about what one wants... I just send it back and get a new one.

Have almost all data recovered online, especially all the hacking stuff, games are on my USB drive next to my Wii^^ and all my movies and music are gone, this hurts the most...