hale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT:Problem solved!
rofl2.gif
Turns out my G6 had some disk errors that the maintainence utility didn't find/fix. Windows Disk Error Checking solved the issue. If anyone else has or develops a similar problem, here's how to fix it.

Directions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
check both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

Thanks to cubin', Glacius0 and everyone else who helped me save my G6 Lite, cheers
yaynds.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've had my g6 lite for about a year now and it's been working great. I've been using the safely remove hardware feature to disconnect it, being really careful with it, but just the other day I inserted it into the uburner and connected it to my pc only to find that the uburner software loaded fine (recognizing the drive), but displayed nothing in the card.

Windows also recognizes the drive, but when I try to explore it, says "The disk in drive H is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

** Now the problem is windows/u-disk manager won't write to the card or explore the file tree inside it (like i used to be able to). If I could, I might be able to put a FW update in there, but windows still wants me to format the thing.

When I say yes, it changes its mind and says "There is no disk in drive H. Insert a disk and try again."

At first i thought this was a fluke so I tried it on another computer, getting the same response.

Logically, the next step was the Maintainence Utility, but when I try that it checks the write protected state and moves on to "initializing the device" then immediately tells me "access denied", then my computer proceeds to beep at me through the mobo speaker, as if it were laughing at me
hate2.gif

Amazingly though, it works great on my DS. I can load an play games perfectly. Maybe there's something wrong with the burner?

So windows recognizes a new drive, but can't explore it. I can't format it. Udisk manager can't see the data, but sees the drive. And it works in my DS.

Does anyone have any advice, theories or links? I'm out of ideas and desperate
wtf.gif

HellShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well reboot in DOS mode, you need a boot disk for that, and see if DOS can format your G6. (use format *:\ whatever your G6 usually shows up as)

have you tried using different USB ports?

I'm not sure, but does the G6 Lite have a DS-controlled format function?

hale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well reboot in DOS mode, you need a boot disk for that, and see if DOS can format your G6. (use format *:\ whatever your G6 usually shows up as)

have you tried using different USB ports?

I'm not sure, but does the G6 Lite have a DS-controlled format function?

Yes, I've tried different USB ports. In fact, that's sometimes the only way I can get the little blue light to go on, but I'll give the dos thing a try. Thanks.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Assuming it's not your PC (make sure the light on the burner is glowing blue, and try it on a different PC as well) you can do the following: Start your g6 lite in GBA mode, while holding L + R + start + select. It will now ask you if you want to erase main memory. Say yes. This should fix it.

This solution should be stickied or put in the FAQ. I was surprised that it wasn't in there.

hale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
okay, here's what I've done:

1) formatted in GBA mode (thanks Glacius0!) finally allowing windows to format the card.
3) tried formatting via maintainence utility (didn't work)
2) formatted in windows (FAT mode, NOT FAT32)
4) formatted in maintainence utility (worked!)
5) attempted writing a game in U-Disk manager (didn't work)
6) cried like a baby (worked!)

kay not really 6, I'm not in touch enough with my femanine side to do that.

Now the problem is windows/u-disk manager won't write to the card or explore the file tree inside it (like i used to be able to). If I could, I might be able to put a FW update in there, but windows still wants me to format the thing.

Now I'm stumped
blink.gif

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
scan for errors using that windows error fixer tool or whatever it's called. tick the box that says fix problems (or something) hopefully you know what I mean because it will work.

edit: it's called error checking,

click the box saying automatically fix file errors.

hale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
scan for errors using that windows error fixer tool or whatever it's called. tick the box that says fix problems (or something) hopefully you know what I mean because it will work.

edit: it's called error checking,

click the box saying automatically fix file errors.

That did it!
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif

Works great now! I guess it was that the stick had some disk errors on it. Window's error checking may make a good addition to the FAQ.

Thanks everyone for your help.
bow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh