Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by shasta588, Mar 8, 2009.
my friends ds lite leaves blue stuff on his games contacts can anyone tell me whats wrong with it
It sounds like something was spilled in it or it could be growing some kind of mold.
he says he didn't spill anything in it
sorry if off topic. but i dont think this thread is at the right sub forum..
ya I know I acedently cliced on the wrong one
Blue stuff? Sounds like corrosion, like what you'd find on the terminals of a car battery... Are you guys in a humid area? And have you checked the battery to make sure it isn't leaking? (I've also seen the blue corrosion from AA batteries a few times, though of course AA's are different from rechargables).
Without knowing anything else, my money would be on the leaking battery acid.
Better open up the back. If it's leaking, better buy a replacement
but the battery corroding wouldn't leve blue stuff on the cartridge would it
No, if the battery was just corroding - but I'm talking about the chemicals leaking out into the DS. If those chemicals are leaking into the slot-1 area (which is pretty close to the battery compartment), then it could leave blue stuff on the cartridge, and any other metals it touches inside the system. It could destroy the system beyond repair if allowed to continue.
Corrosion happens between a power source and contact point.
I've typically seen it as green 'rust' that can mostly be cleaned off.
If that's what you have, I believe it's mostly moisture that causes it, and you could try to 'fix' it by cleaning the contacts off and spraying a q-tip/cotton swab with WD40 and coating the contacts. This has worked wonders on my rechargeable mouse.
If you open the battery compartment and you can smell something metallic or 'tinny' or you can see a foam around the battery, then the battery is leaking. Remove it immediately and clean it out. Use a q-tip/cotton swab to clean all the foamy stuff, and a wooden toothpick to 'scrub' the contacts clean. Then use a q-tip with alcohol to either 'wash' the insides of the compartment, or just polish the contacts till they are clean looking.
You will probably want to open the case as well and do the same.
DISCLAIMER: I cannot vouch for the validity or soundness of this advice.
It's possible someone with more knowledge of this matter will tell you it's bad advice and that you should not do it.
I just know what has worked for me in the past to prolong the death, or revive an electronic that had batteries leak into it.