Gaming My friend has problems running a game

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. My friend is having a problem running the game 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent'. He has to set all the settings to low so its 75% playable. I just don't understand why he has so many lag problems when his hardware is so much better than mine. Could the problem be the motherboard? Here is a scan of his PC hardware:
PC scan here

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Weren't we dealing with an almost idential system in another thread?

The CPU is low end. CPU isn't quite so important in gaming anymore, but you'd need a powerful graphics card to take most of the workload so the CPU doesn't have to. Personally I hate the Athlon series because of how much weaker they are compared to any Intel chip.

The graphics "card" (as omgdaniel pointed at) doesn't exist. You're using an Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP), which is the lowest of the low end, from five years ago (the nForce 430 is from 2005). Adding ANY graphics card will greatly improve gaming performance. Naturally, the newer the graphics card, and especially the higher up the scale it is, the better it will perform. Beware though that I don't think your system has PCI-express 2.0, which all modern graphics cards use, so you won't be able to get the full potential out of any modern graphics card without upgrading the motherboard. You can still use them, it just won't go at full speed, but it will still do much better than the IGP you're currently using.

I recommend upgrading pretty much the entire system - the motherboard (and subsequently RAM, although 6GB of DDR2 RAM is still kinda impressive), CPU, Case and the Power Supply Unit (PSU). Of course, that does also depend on your budget, which I get the impression is either low or non-existent. Without more details, that's all I can really say.

Oh, and in everything I said, replace "you" or "your" with "your friend". I'm too lazy to edit all of that to address your friend instead of you
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Beware though that I don't think your system has PCI-express 2.0, which all modern graphics cards use, so you won't be able to get the full potential out of any modern graphics card without upgrading the motherboard. You can still use them, it just won't go at full speed, but it will still do much better than the IGP you're currently using.
AFAIK only the highest-end cards saturate 1.0's bandwidth.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
He has 5 year old integrated graphics which was slow 5 years ago. New graphics card, new PSU, probably new CPU because this sounds like a prebuilt PC so you can't overclock the CPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.