Hacking My External Wiikey install (PICS!)

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all your props guys!

It looks like the two areas which I messed up on are

1- Making the hole in the Wii casing to mount the port - I melted it with a soldering Iron, not the best way as the messy hole shows. The only way to fix this is to use proper tools but its done now and it works and I never see the back of the wii so its ok.
cool.gif

2- Stripping too much wire off at the ends I soldered to the wii. - I know I did this wrong. There is far too much exposed. I tried doing it with 1/4 of a centimeter exposed but I found it difficult to strip the wires this tiny amount (i used small scissors to strip it as I have no wire strippers) and the 30AWG kynar was way smaller than I expected. Also, I struggled to tin the wires when there was only a bit exposed. When I stripped them back to about a centimeter I found it waaaaaay easier. I think the only way to improve on this is with practise.
ph34r.gif

And I didnt consider which port (male or female) to install. Just the first one I grabbed! I've not had a shock off it but I did try to flash my 360 last night and I grounded it to my PC case, then accidentalyl touched the ground wire and that gave me an electric shock like mad! Felt like I'd been bitten by a snake. Oooops
wacko.gif
haha.

I wanna do this install again but cleaner. I showed my buddy the flickr set and he wants me to do his so Im gonna make a proper job of it this time. I am also gonna make him sign a disclaimer to say if I bugger his Wii, he wont make me pay for it. I've told him Im no professional but he trusts me.
wink.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jesus christ you used your soldering iron to make the hole
biggrin.gif
. Hmmkay, well all I can say is keep things in mind that I have stated in my guide like;
QUOTE said:
REMEMBER WHAT WIRES ARE WHAT POINTS AS THAT IS PARAMOUNT IN USING IT LATER. YOU CAN NOT GO BACK AND CHECK WHAT WIRES WERE WHAT! THE BEST IDEA IS TO USE MY NUMBERING SYSTEM (SEE IMAGE ABOVE) AND NUMBER THE WIRES ACCORDINGLY. ASLO TRY TO USE A DIFFERENT COLOUR WIRE FOR EVERY LINE.
Other then that, goodluck
wink.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
I wish i thought of an external install. The main point is probably so that if you ever need to remove it, say for future updates (even though they are supposed to be stealth invisible). I dont think they are too worried about current chip users, just trying ways to combat the ease of install for future purchasers. I know 4/5 people who all have a wii simply because once they saw mine with wiikey then rushed out to get one!

With regards to the question above about explaining to nintendo about a broken wii, ive had plenty of nintendo machines, in fact every single one over the years and all still work, never had to return a machine as faulty.

360's on the other hand.... LOL

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice job, but I'm thinking... if your Wii breaksdown, how are you going to explain the big hole cut into the back of your Wii to your retailer/Nintendo repair?
If my Wii breaks down, there is no way I'd send it to nintendo. I took a deep breath and swallowed my Warranty-pride as soon as I opened the case
smile.gif

I did an external install cos I didnt want to mount the Wiikey next to the board or even inside the case - If the Wiikey breaks/has bad flash/becomes detected by nintendo in a future update I can just remove it without opening my wii up again.

I also intended to be able to change modchips if a better one comes out, however I only soldered 6 pins as-per the standard wiikey install procedure, so if a new one comes out with the 7/9 pin config like the Cyclo or Wiinja I will have to open the console to solder the extras in (reset button & update swithc & ground etc)

And yeah Scorpei, I did melt the hole with an old soldering iron and yes, It was a bit of a "jesus Christ" moment. But I dont care! Im not a pro modder and I do not claim to be! Im just a noob who has no tools! ANd this is my console so there is only me to be dissapointed by the shoddy work. But Im not!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮