Hacking MW3 on NTSC-J wii problem.

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an NTSC-U copy of MW3, however it's not working how it should on my NTSC-J wii. Basically, I can get into campaign mode just fine, but if I try to load multiplayer or spec ops, I get a loading screen loop. I have tried every backup loader there is and I have made sure that my cIOSes are updated. The cIOSes I am using are the following:

202[60]v5.1 rodries mod
222[38]v4
224[57]v5.1 rodries mod
249[56] d2x v6
250[57] d2x v6

As per joostin's recommendations.

I AM able to get into spec ops or multiplayer if it set it as the default, restart the wii and go back into the game. However, if I do that, I cannot get the patch that was just released to fix some of the online issues. I had the same problem with black ops, basically I couldn't even get black ops to load. I have a feeling that this is directly related to my wii being an NTSC-J wii, so no comments about how it "just works" unless you are using an NTSC-J wii please. Does anyone have any ideas? At the moment my only ideas are to try a PAL version or to switch the region of my wii. Thoughts?

Another question, if I do switch my wii's region, can I have it completely switched and update firmware (from nintendo) without issue in the future? I have read about people saying that you can brick your wii if you do a region switch. I am on 4.3J at the moment, so I don't see any updates happening in the near future, but I have to ask. Thanks in advance guys.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an NTSC-U copy of MW3, however it's not working how it should on my NTSC-J wii. Basically, I can get into campaign mode just fine, but if I try to load multiplayer or spec ops, I get a loading screen loop. I have tried every backup loader there is and I have made sure that my cIOSes are updated. The cIOSes I am using are the following:

202[60]v5.1 rodries mod
222[38]v4
224[57]v5.1 rodries mod
249[56] d2x v6
250[57] d2x v6

As per joostin's recommendations.

I AM able to get into spec ops or multiplayer if it set it as the default, restart the wii and go back into the game. However, if I do that, I cannot get the patch that was just released to fix some of the online issues. I had the same problem with black ops, basically I couldn't even get black ops to load. I have a feeling that this is directly related to my wii being an NTSC-J wii, so no comments about how it "just works" unless you are using an NTSC-J wii please. Does anyone have any ideas? At the moment my only ideas are to try a PAL version or to switch the region of my wii. Thoughts?

Another question, if I do switch my wii's region, can I have it completely switched and update firmware (from nintendo) without issue in the future? I have read about people saying that you can brick your wii if you do a region switch. I am on 4.3J at the moment, so I don't see any updates happening in the near future, but I have to ask. Thanks in advance guys.
Just to be clear, you have an NTSC-J Wii that hasn't been region changed, and you live in the US?

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi joostin, thanks for the reply. Sorry for not making that clear in the original post.

I have an NTSC-J wii that has not been region changed and I currently live in Japan. What do you suggest?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi joostin, thanks for the reply. Sorry for not making that clear in the original post.

I have an NTSC-J wii that has not been region changed and I currently live in Japan. What do you suggest?
Oh, well then you almost certainly need to use an NTSC-J copy for online play.

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The game does not exist in Japan on Wii. It plays online just fine. I need to get the patch and I presume that is what you are talking about. Can I region change my wii to get around this? I am moving back to the states soon enough anyhow, so region changing is something on my mind already. Also, any idea why the game doesn't work properly? I tried a "region free" version as well, just to be sure that it wasn't my copy, it seemed to work but everything was in French.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

The game does not exist in Japan on Wii. It plays online just fine. I need to get the patch and I presume that is what you are talking about. Can I region change my wii to get around this? I am moving back to the states soon enough anyhow, so region changing is something on my mind already. Also, any idea why the game doesn't work properly? I tried a "region free" version as well, just to be sure that it wasn't my copy, it seemed to work but everything was in French.
My guess is that there is some link between the download and what region the game is, but I can't say for sure. I suggest you wait until you get back to the US and use mauifrog's Softmod ANY Wii guide to region change it.

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My guess is that there is some link between the download and what region the game is, but I can't say for sure. I suggest you wait until you get back to the US and use mauifrog's Softmod ANY Wii guide to region change it.

thats what i was figuring, everyone else kept saying "it just works with cios 57" but i am pretty sure they werent using NTSC-J wiis. Thanks anyway.

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey joostin, any thoughts as to why the other modes black screen though? Not so worried about the online mode anymore.

I was also reading something today about how you can region change isos with a program, do you think that would work?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey joostin, any thoughts as to why the other modes black screen though? Not so worried about the online mode anymore.

I was also reading something today about how you can region change isos with a program, do you think that would work?
I'm surprised Spec Ops is giving you a problem, I didn't notice that until now. This is starting to sound more like a bad dump. Region changing it wouldn't do you any good since it wouldn't change anything that matters in-game.

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can only get the update if the game is the same region as your console. Thats how it worked with black ops, i'd say its the same with mw3. you could region change your wii, but you'd have to delete your shop account and make a new one on the region to changed to. i remember seeing a guide about this on another website (of course that was for black ops).

Also spec ops is completely online in mw3, so its probably the same issue with multiplayer.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Region changing a .iso is not doing any good if you use a loader. Also, IOS are region free, if the game needs IOS57 on PAL or NTSC-U Wiis, you need IOS57 on NTSC-J Wiis as well. So if you launch the game from the disc channel, the IOS is not an issue, if you use a loader, set it to use IOS250 for this game. Also if the game has some kind of region protection, then you might want to try to patch the country strings(loader option).

rip-it-up

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure if you can do this without bricking your wii! but could he install the american wii shop channel on his wii? (this its whats needed to download the patch as his game is a american game.)

If not

Can you find the patch online and download it, then copy it via a sd card?

Or just region change your wii.

Reactions: 1 person

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm surprised Spec Ops is giving you a problem, I didn't notice that until now. This is starting to sound more like a bad dump. Region changing it wouldn't do you any good since it wouldn't change anything that matters in-game.

It's strange. The single player mode loads fine, but the only way for me to get into multiplayer or spec ops is to set one as the default and restart the game. When I do that I can't get back to the main menu without deleting my save. I have tried multiple dumps, the only one that worked perfectly was the one that was completely in French. I don't know of that's a dump problem, a problem with my wii itself or a problem with the fact that my wii is an ntsc-j wii. Is there a way to verify if a dump is good?

You can only get the update if the game is the same region as your console. Thats how it worked with black ops, i'd say its the same with mw3. you could region change your wii, but you'd have to delete your shop account and make a new one on the region to changed to. i remember seeing a guide about this on another website (of course that was for black ops).

Also spec ops is completely online in mw3, so its probably the same issue with multiplayer.

I don't use the shop for anything so I don't mind deleting my shop account. There are steps out there for those using an NTSC version of the game on a pal wii to do the patch, but I have seen nothing for NTSC-j. It seems like that's what this really is all boiling down to.

Region changing a .iso is not doing any good if you use a loader. Also, IOS are region free, if the game needs IOS57 on PAL or NTSC-U Wiis, you need IOS57 on NTSC-J Wiis as well. So if you launch the game from the disc channel, the IOS is not an issue, if you use a loader, set it to use IOS250 for this game. Also if the game has some kind of region protection, then you might want to try to patch the country strings(loader option).

I will check my settings, but I am pretty sure I have the default set to patch them. I will get back to you on that though.

I'm not sure if you can do this without bricking your wii! but could he install the american wii shop channel on his wii? (this its whats needed to download the patch as his game is a american game.)

If not

Can you find the patch online and download it, then copy it via a sd card?

Or just region change your wii.

I like the idea about using an SD to patch it, but I won't hold my breath for that to happen

ricweb2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Satanishere

I've got the NTSC-J ( I live in Japan) and had the same problem, I fixed this problem by setting the region of CNF USB LOADER to FORCE PAL60, and apparently it works on any USB loader.

The only problem is that it makes the screen turns black and white, but according to what I hv read, changing the AVI cable to D-terminal between the Wii and the TV makes it colored again. I just bought the cable but did not arrive yet. So I cannot comment if it really gets colored or not so far . But for sure I can play MW3 multiplayer and its possible to update via special ops (despite I haven't done it yet).

I hope it helps you !

Other problem I found is that in multiplayer mode I can only play with people in within Japan and not with the rest of the world, so its take time to find a match because few people have this game installed in the jp Wii :(

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just tried this suggestion and it worked. I don't know why it works, but it does. Forcing PAL60 lets me move through the game modes just fine. It didn't prompt me to do the update, not sure why, but it allowed me to move through the modes without it black screening.

ricweb2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Very nice! I'm glad you could made it work! :)

and other good news is that I just got the D-Terminal cable, I tried it, and it really works fine !!! (colored) B-)

I played multiplayer with no problems at all, despite it take some time to find a match. I was wrong, the players are from other countries as well. So it's just perfect, but I think the game is just a kind of heavy for wii, sometimes it does not work as smooth as it was supposed to. :(

I've also installed the Black OPS (pal version), and it also works just fine. But could not play multiplayer (can not find other players on the list), if you could help to solve this issue, would be very glad too ! ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/pro/scientists-design-super-battery-made-with-cheap-readily-affordable-...