Music Discovery Thread

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Helpful Corn, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Helpful Corn
    OP

Helpful Corn GBAtemp Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    United States
    this is a "hipster" unknown bands/music discovery thread. there are no rules. post stuff that is unknown/unusual or whatever, just make sure it's good shit. tell us about the artist and try to post applicable links.

I'll start:

Bandcamp

facebook

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Ooh, I've been waiting for such a topic.

Wiki Page

To be fair, the band's not super obscure, and anyone who's watched Moral Orel all the way through will definitely remember them. Still, it's a great band, and John Darnielle deserves a lot more exposure than what he gets.

....Guild McCommunist

Helpful Corn likes this.
  3. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Let's get some Metal up in this joint! Power Metal, to be more specific. Up-tempo, melodic, and clean vocals.
    I'm actually kind of curious how "obscure" my bands actually are according to members in Europe. Most folks here in America wouldn't recognize the bands I listen to, but maybe the Europeans will be more familiar with them.

Here we have Dream Evil, from Sweden

Edguy from Germany

Heavenly from France

Rhapsody of Fire from Italy. They're a Symphonic Power Metal Band. They've been known to use a full 72 piece orchestra.

Warmen from Finland. The band leader here is a keyboardist who apparently was a big fan of Salieri. A lot of big keyboard solos in this band.

Kamelot from The United States. An Epic/Symphonic Power Metal band. Original vocalist Roy Khan was a classically trained Opera singer from Norway.

Galneryus from Japan with some neoclassical metal. Any fans of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Minor? (this is the cut-down music video version. Full version is 15 minutes). The band actually has a lot of range in their music. Look at their first few albums too see just how much they've evolved their sound.

And now a couple repeat countries since I have a lot of bands from Germany and Sweden.

At Vance from Germany

Reinxeed from Sweden

Helpful Corn likes this.
  4. Domination

Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 28, 2008
    Senegal
    Your Mum
    Well since someone else did themed recommendations. Some classical/contemporary classical/soundtrack music. My selection is not really that obscure, people who already like the kind of music would have heard of them before (i.e. Olafur is a big name). But this is mostly for people who don't. Plus I have been listening to a lot of anime soundtracks, and I realised that there are some anime soundtracks that are simply amazing.

Of course I won't recommend Beethoven, Vivaldi or Hans Zimmer or something, everyone ought to know them already.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Yumi and Helpful Corn like this.
  5. Domination

Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 28, 2008
    Senegal
    Your Mum
    Here are some other random recommendations (anything ranging from Folk to Electronic to Metal) since I have nothing else better to do. I try not to recommend anything well known but I don't really know what is well known in each scene since I just listen to every genre out there.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. Helpful Corn
    OP

Helpful Corn GBAtemp Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    United States
    FYI this thread isn't just for unknown music, i'ts also for underappreciated music

THERE ARE NO RULES