Hacking Multiple Pokémon roms = MultiSave?

night_hawk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, I have retail copies of Pokemon Y and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and as you know they allow only 1 save per cartridge. The problem is that my two bros wish to play them too, but i won't to lose my saves obviously.
I don't have a gateway or mt-card, but i'm planning to buy one in the near future, maybe with the launch of the new 3ds.
From what i read i cannot backup my save from the card and then reinject inside, correct?
So my only option will be to dump my cards into a roms (3dz or cia), correct?
If i will dump pokemon AS twice, renaming them as pokemon AS1 and pokemon AS2, will they have separated save files?

Thank you

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I have retail copies of Pokemon Y and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and as you know they allow only 1 save per cartridge. The problem is that my two bros wish to play them too, but i won't to lose my saves obviously.
I don't have a gateway or mt-card, but i'm planning to buy one in the near future, maybe with the launch of the new 3ds.
From what i read i cannot backup my save from the card and then reinject inside, correct?
So my only option will be to dump my cards into a roms (3dz or cia), correct?
If i will dump pokemon AS twice, renaming them as pokemon AS1 and pokemon AS2, will they have separated save files?

Thank you

Since both Pokemon games use the card2 save type, then yes, you are correct - the saves are contained within the ROM, and you need only dump it once and create a copy with a different name. The resulting two .3DZ/.3DS files will both have individual save files. However, because you must launch Gateway mode to play them, and Gateway cannot decrypt saves that have been encrypted with the 6.x encryption key, any existing saves on the cart will not be available to you after dumping it to Gateway.

In short, all you have to do is make the copies like I said, and you will have separate save files just like that. But just be aware that you will not be able to take your existing save over to Gateway like this - you will need to make new saves on both ROM copies of the game.

night_hawk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since both Pokemon games use the card2 save type, then yes, you are correct - the saves are contained within the ROM, and you need only dump it once and create a copy with a different name. The resulting two .3DZ/.3DS files will both have individual save files. However, because you must launch Gateway mode to play them, and Gateway cannot decrypt saves that have been encrypted with the 6.x encryption key, any existing saves on the cart will not be available to you after dumping it to Gateway.

In short, all you have to do is make the copies like I said, and you will have separate save files just like that. But just be aware that you will not be able to take your existing save over to Gateway like this - you will need to make new saves on both ROM copies of the game.

Thanks for your answer.
So, I'll have to dump my cartridge once (AS1) and make a copy (AS2) in .3ds or .3dz. The two resulting roms, when launched, will create an AS1.sav and an AS2.sav, correct? will gateway multi-rom (select button) show me the two renamed roms, or will be them named as generic "Pokemon alpha sapphire"?
Can i convert the two dumps to .cia? I think would be easy to create two folders on my home menu for each my bros and keep them organised, but i dont know how .cia will save.
For my retail card and save, if i read correctly, i'll just need to play it in gateway classic mode and my save will work, right?
Sorry for all noob questions

MisterPantsEyes

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

So when I downgrade for Gateway, there's no way to use my Pokemon saves anymore?

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your answer.
So, I'll have to dump my cartridge once (AS1) and make a copy (AS2) in .3ds or .3dz. The two resulting roms, when launched, will create an AS1.sav and an AS2.sav, correct? will gateway multi-rom (select button) show me the two renamed roms, or will be them named as generic "Pokemon alpha sapphire"?
Can i convert the two dumps to .cia? I think would be easy to create two folders on my home menu for each my bros and keep them organised, but i dont know how .cia will save.
For my retail card and save, if i read correctly, i'll just need to play it in gateway classic mode and my save will work, right?

GW multi rom menu won't show you the file names, it'll only show you the game names, in this case they'll be identical.
cia games will save to your SD card if I'm not wrong and theres no way to delete them unless you literally delete them yourself. You can convert, but you'll need a 4.5 console to do so. Just have a look around for the pokemon cia files, that'll be much easier as you pointed, for sorting purposes.
I'm not sure how your bros will find this solution but why not one play ruby and the other play sapphire?
With regards to your last question, yes that's correct.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for your answer.

No .sav files. Card2 games save directly into the .3ds/.3dz file. As for the names, they will both show up as "Pokémon Alpha Sapphire", but always in the same order (the order you added them), so you just have to memorize which is first.

night_hawk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GW multi rom menu won't show you the file names, it'll only show you the game names, in this case they'll be identical.
cia games will save to your SD card if I'm not wrong and theres no way to delete them unless you literally delete them yourself. You can convert, but you'll need a 4.5 console to do so. Just have a look around for the pokemon cia files, that'll be much easier as you pointed, for sorting purposes.
I'm not sure how your bros will find this solution but why not one play ruby and the other play sapphire?
With regards to your last question, yes that's correct.
Uhm i see, well its not a big deal.
I have alpha sapphire and Y, i dont have omega ruby
No .sav files. Card2 games save directly into the .3ds/.3dz file. As for the names, they will both show up as "Pokémon Alpha Sapphire", but always in the same order (the order you added them), so you just have to memorize which is first.
Oh i see, what can you tell me about .cia? Will I be able to have 2 cias of the same game with separate saves? (Due to the fact that cias saves to the SD card). In this way i could put them in specific folders on the home menu.
Thank you

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yes you could install 1 to the gateway card and one as a cia file, each would have separate saves and then they could really confuse which one belongs who

you cant install the same game twice to the home menu though unless you do some rebuilding and change the titleID....bit complex for a beginner, i would just suggest either 1 on the gateway card and one installed as a cia file, or just both on the gateway card and get them to memorize which one belongs to who

or ofc the one play sapphire one plays ruby would save the confusion too

or if your really feeling adventurous you could repack them and change the games title to their names, so it shows in the gateway menu their name.....again just confusing matters and making it more complicated, but there is ways and means to set it up however you prefer

night_hawk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@gamerquest1
Thanks, now the stuffs seems more clear :).
Just for curiosity what's needed for repacking and changing titles in gateway menu?
Anyway as suggested i think i'll go with one in gateway card and one as cia, while i would play mine through my retail card.
Just to clarify, as I said in the op, i only have pokemon Y and Alpha Sapphire, I don't own Omega Ruby.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
@gamerquest1
Thanks, now the stuffs seems more clear :).
Just for curiosity what's needed for repacking and changing titles in gateway menu?
Anyway as suggested i think i'll go with one in gateway card and one as cia, while i would play mine through my retail card.
Just to clarify, as I said in the op, i only have pokemon Y and Alpha Sapphire, I don't own Omega Ruby.
well, tbh the process of changing the games internal title would be a bit daunting for new comers, just look into repacking roms, once you have that figured out its as simple as editing the icon.bin file during the re-packing process to use a different name, pretty sure every file explorer can edit the icon.bin....pretty sure it would still show just as pokemon on the console as the console has a icon cache (which also contains the games name), but afaik gateway reads the games name from the internal icon file so in gateway it could say for example "gamequest1's PKM", but once loaded up it just uses the cached info and displays as the normal pokemon X title

as i said that routes a bit complicated, just a cia and .3dz would serve you fine

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have a powersaves 3ds, there's a method to decrypt your X/Y save which you could then use in conjunction with gateway or whatever your preference and it would work on any version (I extracted my save from my X retail cart and use it with my gateway now, I played it on v9.2 and now play it on v4.5)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s