Multiple consoles occupying same IP address

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by NekoMichi, Apr 29, 2016.

1. NekoMichi
    OP

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Currently I have a N3DS and a N3DS XL, both of them have been configured to connect to the same router and both have the same Wi-Fi device name (but not MAC, of course). I have only ever connected one of the two to Wi-Fi at any given moment and never left both turned on at the same time, and it appears that both consoles use the same internal IP address on the wireless network.

Internet functions work just fine on both devices, as do networked homebrew functions such as video mirroring. I was just wondering if this is normal, and if there are any risks of this or not?

Last edited by NekoMichi, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Docmudkipz

Docmudkipz Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Staring at my computer case's window
    DHCP IP assignment being weird is the only thing I could think of, if you're really feeling worried about it just reserve two different IPs for the consoles. Shouldn't be any problem for the most part

NekoMichi likes this.
  3. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Worse case scenario, your router will hang.

Pip'

NekoMichi likes this.
  4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yep, if you never actually tried them at the same time, your dhcp server probaby doesn't have pseudo-static addresses and just selects the lowest unused number!

NekoMichi likes this.
  5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    This is totally normal.

If you use DHCP, your router provides an IP from an available IP range (set the range from your router settings). For example from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.15, allowing you to connect 6 devices at the same time.
    Each time, it assigns the first available IP to the newly connected device.
    if you connect both 3DS at the same time, they will have different IPs. if you connect them at different times, it will re-assign the free'd IP to the next online device.

If you use manual Fixed IP, you can also set the same IP to multiple devices, but you can't use them at the same time.

NekoMichi likes this.