Multipe different Cart firmwares on one MicroSD?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by xist, Dec 15, 2008.

Dec 15, 2008
  1. xist
    OP

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Just wondered if you can place all the relevant firmware files for a few different flash carts on a single MicroSD and then just swap the Memory card between carts. So if i were to put the DSTT firmware and the Acekard firmware files on the root of an SD could i just swap it between the two? It would save time on constantly rewriting games...or is that a bad idea?

Yeah that is supposed to say Multiple!

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yes, you can do that. The main problem would be with save files as different flash carts use different save file formats. The DSTT and Acekard use the same format, but name the save files differently (the DSTT uses "filename.sav" while the Acekard uses "filename.nds.sav"). The AKAIO menu has an option that will allow it to use save files named "filename.sav" like the DSTT, which would make them compatible. So, yes, it's possible with those two flash carts as long as you use AKAIO instead of the regular Acekard firmware.

-Bri

3. xist
    OP

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Thanks Bri...it's for multiple other people actually who share a DS! (i'm happy with just my Cyclo) I've been buying a few different carts as Christmas gifts and wanted to ensure that they were all good, and also to save them hassle in the future. But that info about modifying the filename to match is very interesting and helpful so thanks for that too.

Glad to know that you're ever on hand to help out the less well informed.

4. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just hope you keep frequent backups if you're going to do this. You know how tricky handling those MicroSD cards can be.

5. mrSmiles

Member mrSmiles mrSmiles {^_^}

Canada
    this is something i've been wondering myself but never bothered to ask, thanks for the answer.