mtp-server-nx - Open Source USB file transfer for Switch

mtp-server-nx

A port of https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/mtp-server.1.html for Nintendo Switch - free and open source!

Author
Gillou68310

Known Issues
  • Startup takes long with a lot of Files on the SD Card, due to scanning
  • Transfer speed can still be improved
  • Untested on Horizon < 6.1
  • Max filesize is currently limited to ~4GB
  • Version 1.1 has issues with Windows, consider it not supported right now :/
  • TBD
License
Apache 2.0

Repository: https://github.com/retronx-team/mtp-server-nx
Download: https://github.com/retronx-team/mtp-server-nx/releases

Last edited by m4xw,

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here.
I got the Switch to be detected by the PC as an MTP Device, but as soon as I clicked on the "sdcard" icon to browse the folders, the app crashed on the Switch's side.
Newer builds of the app do start loading up the folders, but upon the 10th or so folder, it crashes yet again.

This was in an Atmos 9.4 Switch, with 8.0.1 on a Windows 10 PC.

same here

im on 8.1.0 chroNX orginial is 4.1.0 with fat32 i have no problem with goldleaf with usb on win 7 i have 2 laptops one updated to win 10 i wonder what window does it require to work with mtp-sever?

Last edited by FanNintendo,

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This worked perfectly once...
Now every time I run it it says it's running and to press b to exit but b does nothing and it will not show up on my compooper.
How does one error log a Switch?
I want to open an issue on the git but there's issues with no response since September... so, any ideas??

Atmosphere .10.5 - FW 9.2.0
hbmenu 3.2.0 - nx-hbloader 2.3.0

Nothing has changed. I walked from one computer to another and it stopped working after a reboot.
It also no longer works on the original computer that it did... just so anyone doesn't think it's just a driver issue.

Update:
Updated to latest release of Atmosphere .11.1
Still experiencing the same issue.

Is this working for anyone?

Last edited by Dax_Fame,

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This worked perfectly once...
Now every time I run it it says it's running and to press b to exit but b does nothing and it will not show up on my compooper.
How does one error log a Switch?
I want to open an issue on the git but there's issues with no response since September... so, any ideas??

Atmosphere .10.5 - FW 9.2.0
hbmenu 3.2.0 - nx-hbloader 2.3.0

Nothing has changed. I walked from one computer to another and it stopped working after a reboot.
It also no longer works on the original computer that it did... just so anyone doesn't think it's just a driver issue.

Update:
Updated to latest release of Atmosphere .11.1
Still experiencing the same issue.

Is this working for anyone?

This is something to do with the mess nintendo made up on firmwares 9.x+. Atmosphere remade some code regargind input detection, and all homebrew needed to recompile with the new libraries made to get working again. Some homebrews devs did not. Look for a fork of this project, or an alternative one.

https://github.com/retronx-team/mtp-server-nx/releases

Reactions: Dax_Fame

m4xw

Ancient Deity
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
These are internal issues, we dont actively maintain it for now since the day only has 24h.
Latest release has support for recent fw's.
The exit task only accepts inputs after USB connected, if you press B and then connect it will close when u connect.
Its safe to use Home + Exit as long u didnt connect it to your PC.

Reactions: Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the depreciated input sysmodule enabled and it does nothing when connected to a PC. It just stopped working before I changed or updated anything.

Thank you for your replies though. I've gone back to doing it the hard way until this is either updated or whatever I mysteriously did fixes itself haha! I'll check out alternatives as well, couldn't hurt.

It was still the most amazing thing for the 5 minutes it was working :) I figure it's on my end and have no interest in reformatting my SD AGAIN!

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I discovered this my computer wasn't reading nxmtp for some reason. I reinstalled the driver through zadig and this works.

sev7en

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello,
In installed it on my switch with SX OS 3 on Windows 10 Home but it is recognized as Portable Devices (Switch) without mount the related letter.
How can I do? There is any Windows driver to be installed?

Thanks

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello,
In installed it on my switch with SX OS 3 on Windows 10 Home but it is recognized as Portable Devices (Switch) without mount the related letter.
How can I do? There is any Windows driver to be installed?

Thanks
I suggest you use Hekate's USB Tools instead.
It has an SD mounter so the computer detects it as a plain USB device for you to interact with.
It is fairly simpler, and easier to handle than any of the two MTP homebrews running around, and it also doesn't have any bugs when trying to loads too much folders.

Reactions: sev7en

sev7en

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I suggest you use Hekate's USB Tools instead.
It has an SD mounter so the computer detects it as a plain USB device for you to interact with.
It is fairly simpler, and easier to handle than any of the two MTP homebrews running around, and it also doesn't have any bugs when trying to loads too much folders.
Thanks, this tool is amazing!

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad it was of help :)
Ever since that thing exists, I have never gone back to either of the MTP homebrews.
It's a really good implementation for Hekate tbh, and I widely recommend it.
Is there a USB Tools NRO or do you have to return to bootloader to access this?

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hekate implements UMS, not MTP access. It is totally differtent way to work with device.

In UMS mode all logic handled on PC side, so you won't be able to simple copy big fiile to FAT32 card, or on mac you will have to fix archive bits on sd card after using.

In MTP mode all logic handled on Switch side, so no messing with archive bits, just copy file of any size to fat32 sd, no reboots, all just work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y