GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had an issue with this program running for a while now. It usually runs for about 15 minutes each day, and it slows down my computer during the process. I tried using this process: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346 to fix the problem, but the program persists. I'm fairly certain it's related to a botched security update for my MS Office suite (legit software I own), as the updates have failed to installed for literally years now.

Anyone know of another tact to take for resolving this issue?

Thanks

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So far, that process install *.msi windows installer packages. Be sure you have windows updates disabled.

Also, you should clean your reg. Sometimes ghost app will try to install things which doesn´t exist. I highly recommend Tuneup´s clean registry utility.

Gamer4life

I am the Orange Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have an old computer and i kill stuff that runs that slows my computer down just start task manager find that program in processes and right click on it and stop it now it may come back a couple times as some stuff does on mine but just keep killing it and also that program is what runs when it installs something.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
No, Windows Updates slow down "fixing" most things.

You should always disable Windows Updates unless you work at a Corp. which requires a more secured system. Otherwise, always disable it (or you can also download important patches through WU then disable it)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Coto said:

You should always disable Windows Updates unless you work at a Corp. which requires a more secured system. Otherwise, always disable it (or you can also download important patches through WU then disable it)
I'm going to have to ask you to not post on this forum anymore if you don't understand security basics.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Rydian said:
Coto said:

I'm going to have to ask you to not post on this forum anymore if you don't understand security basics.

Ahahahaha, who is this guy?

No really, that made me laugh. So much authority over there. Believe me, even a mod wouldn´t have said something like that.

-

Disable Automatic Updates.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually, Rydian's right. Security updates are needed also for the medium computer user.

You do not want your Windows XP to be chock-full of potential exploits and entry-points for viruses, trojans and malware, right?
Then use the Automatic Updates features, or enjoy your full-with-viruses-to-the-brim PC.

Oh, and remember that the worst thing that might slow-down your PC are _actually_ trojans, viruses and malware running 99% of the time in the background, hidden, and stealing all your Idle CPU time
wink.gif

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
wink.gif
Oh yeah, but remember. Windows XP´s exploits have already been found long time ago, so, even with those WU there will still be troyans appearing. I´ve come fixing those problems for ages even with Windows Updates enabled.

That´s more like a Antivirus Issue since Windows XP´s security level has been flawed years ago.

Windows 7 on other hand has a better security branch, considering Windows Defender and its internal kernel rewritten .

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sure, but most of the old known exploits have been fixed, and even if new flaws appear every now and then, it's not like there's a certainty of always getting those before a WU fix comes around.

Instead, if you don't EVER update, there's something like 100% of possibility that you're gonna catch something you're actually unprotected for.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
That´s why I said AT LEAST do some important updates, from WU.

And of course, considering at least to have XP SP3. SP2´s fulfills the full pokedex once you connect to internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.