Homebrew MSET 9.2?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we don't have the ability to run sysnand 9.2 and emunand >9.2 together unless you have a gateway cart or something. Since Gateways launcher is encrypted or whatever, would it be plausible to instead try to use the spider exploit to set up the memory in a way emulating the MSET exploit's entry? Basically this would in theory let us run any launcher.dat that works with the MSET exploit on the spider exploit in >4.5fw.
Thoughts?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I guess we don't have the ability to run sysnand 9.2 and emunand >9.2 together unless you have a gateway cart or something. Since Gateways launcher is encrypted or whatever, would it be plausible to instead try to use the spider exploit to set up the memory in a way emulating the MSET exploit's entry? Basically this would in theory let us run any launcher.dat that works with the MSET exploit on the spider exploit in >4.5fw.
Thoughts?
Probably not possible. Differences between firmware versions mean that even if you could somehow do that, a launcher.dat made for 4.x wouldn't run anyway.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apache Thunder: I more so meant mapping the ram or entrypoint to simulate it, so it would still be ran through the browser each time.
The Real Jdbye: I had a feeling something like this could make it not really work, but was still curious.

Are there any real obstacles standing in front of taking a CFW, and porting it to work with 9.2? Can a RAM dump be used to figure out if functions for ARM9 signature checks were relocated or something?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
No. When I say it was patched in 7.x. That means it's the firmware where the exploit doesn't work anymore. So no, it won't work. And besides even if it did, the original Arm9 exploit it used was patched in 5.x firmware. (thus original launcher won't boot on a 5.0 or newer firmware)

The MSETT exploit is only the entry point. Most exploits come in mulitple stages and the MSETT exploit was just the first stage of a multistage exploit for 4.x systems.

So for 5.x to 6.x firmware you could in theory modify the MSETT ROP to act as the entry point into the new Arm9 exploit used in the web browser exploit but the later stage exploit used to get Arm9 access in th original 4.x exploit won't work on 5.x+ systems. But I don't see this happening anytime soon. There doesn't seem to be enough interest in doing that. :P

Reactions: Margen67

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that 9.2 is still exploitable with the MSET DS Profile and browser exploits, so I updated the SysNAND on my o3DS from 4.5 to 9.2. Now I want to launch Gateway's Launcher.dat using MSET from SysNAND 9.2 so that I can boot it offline or without an Android device.

They have instructions for setting this up on an n3DS and someone told me that it would also work on an o3DS. As far as I can tell, it doesn't. When I follow Gateway's MSET n3DS instructions and set up using the NVRAM option with the USA MSET file on the SD card, it installs without issue but I get "An error has occurred" when I launch "Nintendo DS Profile." I installed the "bluecardfix.cia" to get the old install method working on 9.2 and ran the Gateway installer from there, which installs without issue but gives the same error when I try to launch it.

I can still launch Gateway's Launcher.dat with the browser but that's really going to annoy me as I don't have consistent access. Gateway's Launcher.dat supports MSET on 9.2 because an n3DS on 9.2 can launch it from MSET, but it doesn't look like they made a working MSET on 9.2 for the o3DS. Is there some kind of alternative I can use?

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know that 9.2 is still exploitable with the MSET DS Profile and browser exploits, so I updated the SysNAND on my o3DS from 4.5 to 9.2. Now I want to launch Gateway's Launcher.dat using MSET from SysNAND 9.2 so that I can boot it offline or without an Android device.

They have instructions for setting this up on an n3DS and someone told me that it would also work on an o3DS. As far as I can tell, it doesn't. When I follow Gateway's MSET n3DS instructions and set up using the NVRAM option with the USA MSET file on the SD card, it installs without issue but I get "An error has occurred" when I launch "Nintendo DS Profile." I installed the "bluecardfix.cia" to get the old install method working on 9.2 and ran the Gateway installer from there, which installs without issue but gives the same error when I try to launch it.

I can still launch Gateway's Launcher.dat with the browser but that's really going to annoy me as I don't have consistent access. Gateway's Launcher.dat supports MSET on 9.2 because an n3DS on 9.2 can launch it from MSET, but it doesn't look like they made a working MSET on 9.2 for the o3DS. Is there some kind of alternative I can use?

I'm interested in getting an answer to this. Is there a way to load the Launcher.dat on 9.2 sysNAND? If I had to downgrade my MSET, which version should I install? I tried the 4.x one: it works with rxTools (selecting the 4.x DG option), it doesn't with Gateway. So, I guess the 4.x MSET is not the correct one. Any clues?

Last edited by Earth97,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E