Homebrew Mplayer-CE

vasili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys.
Need help, hope someone can clear something for me. Got a wii softmoded and with Mplayer installed, V0.77, I think and workin ok. I recently found here http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/U...dCustomizations that we can add icons (pictograms) to the text in the menus of the Mplayer, but I just can’t make it work. I already followed the instructions posted by the user that created the files but no good.
Did anybody ever try those files? If so, how did you do it?
Do I need to have the V.076 or just the r572 / r565 file in the apps folder.
Must say, I’m no expert in this. So if someone could explain to me, step by step, how to make it work, I would be much appreciated.

Skoopman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hey guys, I am playing DVD Iso's via Mplayer CE, but I can't see the subtitles. Is there away to enable them? They actually are enabled in the menu, but they just don't show up.

LonePilgrim said:
julz1 said:
alaeddine said:
I wanted to know when will it be able to play perfectly h264 mp4 ( or mkv ) 720p or 1080p files?
Its a great job thnks

Just copied this from mplayer ce page on wii brew

HELP! Some files play back choppily!

Are you trying to play an h.264 encoded video and/or high definition video? The Wii just doesn't have the hardware to handle it. For more information, see
http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/h264

Can somebody than explain to me why devices like WDTV can do it, and the wii lacks the horsepower? I'm not asking for HD but SD mkv./h.264 files would be nice (for anime purposes).
Also, has anyone experienced problems with dual audio in .ogm files (and subtitles likewise)?

QUOTE said:
Processors:
CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly† clocked at 729 MHz[105]
GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[106] reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz[105]

Memory:
88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[107]
3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.
The WD TV is a consumer device produced by Western Digital that allows users to watch videos, as well as view images and listen to music, from USB drives. It is capable of playing High-definition video through an HDMI port, in addition to standard video through composite cables. It can play videos in most common formats, including MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264), MTS, TP, TS. It can play music in MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital (AC-3), AIF/AIFF and MKA formats.

The hardware starts with a 300mhz TangoX MIPS 4KEc from Sigma Designs, which has 100MB of memory. [1][2]

The WD TV Live processor, in the other hand, features 500MHz cpu speed, a 333MHz coprocessor, a 333MHz DSP, and up to 1 GB of 64-bit DDR-2 DRAM. The WD TV Live comes with 512MB of DRAM and 256MB of NAND Flash memory installed. Western Digital has tweaked the original Sigma SMP8600 Family design slightly by including 6 video Digital to Analog Converters (DACs) which should give it the ability to handle high-def content with ease.
P.S. Forgive me for potentially stupid question , and bad english.

Actually I think the devs are wrong. I tested all sort of media files and only h264-content with MKV-container had choppy playback, depending on the resolution. Anything near 480p was choppy, low resolutions worked fine, but it could also be a problem with the encoding of the files. The other thing I figured out is, that h264 seems to play well with other containers like MP4. I am playing a DVD iso right now and it looks beautiful, like playing a normal DVD! The video bitrate is 9000 kbits and it works very good. I really can't understand what the problem with MKV's is.

Skoopman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Eddie_Brock said:
QUOTE said:
I really can't understand what the problem with MKV's is.

MKV is HD (HD= High Definition). The wii is not HD. It will always have trouble with this format.

That's just totally wrong. MKV is a CONTAINER, it has NOTHING to do with HD! Even if most HD-rips are in MKV-format, there are also low-quality videos in MKV-format.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
vasili said:
Hey guys.
Need help, hope someone can clear something for me. Got a wii softmoded and with Mplayer installed, V0.77, I think and workin ok. I recently found here http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/U...dCustomizations that we can add icons (pictograms) to the text in the menus of the Mplayer, but I just can’t make it work. I already followed the instructions posted by the user that created the files but no good.
Must say, I’m no expert in this. So if someone could explain to me, step by step, how to make it work, I would be much appreciated.

I'm using 0.76 and it works a treat.

On your Sd card/USB drive open the mplayer_ce folder within the apps folder > locate menu.conf and rename to menu.conf.bak > Locate the subfont.ttf and rename to subfont.ttf.bak.

now drag the menu.conf and subfont.ttf into the mplayer_ce folder and enjoy.

if it doesnt work, delete the files subfont.ttf and menu.conf and then rename menu.conf.bak to menu.conf and subfont.ttf.bak to subfont.ttf.

It looks awesome!

vasili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
KiiWii said:
I'm using 0.76 and it works a treat.

On your Sd card/USB drive open the mplayer_ce folder within the apps folder > locate menu.conf and rename to menu.conf.bak > Locate the subfont.ttf and rename to subfont.ttf.bak.

now drag the menu.conf and subfont.ttf into the mplayer_ce folder and enjoy.

if it doesnt work, delete the files subfont.ttf and menu.conf and then rename menu.conf.bak to menu.conf and subfont.ttf.bak to subfont.ttf.

It looks awesome!

Haven’t tested yet the way you said, but are you using a forward channel to open the mplayer or the homebrew channel?

Martomo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
vasili said:
Hey guys.

1. Extract the mplayer_ce directory located in the apps folder of MPlayerCE V0.76.rar to your desktop.
2. Copy boot.dol and fsysloc.conf from mplayer_r572.zip to the mplayer_ce folder located on your desktop.
3. Also extract from Menu_with_icons.rar the modified menu.conf and subfont.ttf to your mplayer_ce folder located on your desktop.
4. Now open the mplayer.conf in your notepad and add the following command on the bottom: utf8=yes
5. Finally copy the folder mplayer_ce located on your desktop to your apps folder on the SD/USB storage.

If you get a 'Exception (DSI) occured!' up on launching MPlayer CE, through your forwarder and/or the homebrew channel.
Try it again but replace the
mplayersmall.png
with text in the menu.conf located on line 664.

If you are editing the menu.conf make sure you save the menu.conf with UTF-8 encoding!

//EDIT
Did a few tests and it seems that it crashes when the subfont-osd-scale setting is 3 or 6 with the
mplayersmall.png
in the menu.conf, other sizes works fine for me.

So if you get a 'Exception (DSI) occured!' and want to keep
mplayersmall.png
in your menu.conf, then change the value of subfont-osd-scale in mplayer.conf (located on line 17) to anything but 3 and 6, or a value that will work for you, if it doesn't you can always replace the
mplayersmall.png
with text in the menu.conf located on line 664.

//EDIT2
Another note, if you use
mplayersmall.png
in your menu.conf, various custom loop.avi might trigger the 'Exception (DSI) occured!'.

vasili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank's Martomo. You were correct. The problem was in the subfont-osd-scale. It was set to 3. As soon as I changed to other value, in my case 4, worked right away.
bow.gif

Skoopman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I only get the DSI error when launching Mplayer through the channel, so I don't believe the OSD-size is the problem here.

Btw: I found something strange when playing Isos. I stripped out the menu of the DVD because it was kinda hard to get the movie playing. Sometimes the menu music played, but Mplayer showed me the movie images... While I had the DVD menu I could enable the subtitles, after I stripped the menu, I couldn't select the subtitles anymore! Is there a way to watch a DVD iso without menu but with subtitles?

vasili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Skoopman said:
I only get the DSI error when launching Mplayer through the channel, so I don't believe the OSD-size is the problem here.

Btw: I found something strange when playing Isos. I stripped out the menu of the DVD because it was kinda hard to get the movie playing. Sometimes the menu music played, but Mplayer showed me the movie images... While I had the DVD menu I could enable the subtitles, after I stripped the menu, I couldn't select the subtitles anymore! Is there a way to watch a DVD iso without menu but with subtitles?

But I was getting the same error, either opening using a channel or with the homebrew channel. As soon as I changed the subfont-osd-scale to 4, it started working, without any problems.
In fact, I had another issue, caused by the font size, I think. Don’t know if that was the real problem, but it appeared after changing the font size of the subtitles. After getting the icons to work I made a test and all was working fine. Then I changed the command “subfont-text-scale” in the mplayer.conf file to 4 (it is set to 2 by default) and all worked ok. But when watching a movie, if I started moving backwards in the menus, when I reached the last one the mplayer just crashed. I set the value of the “subfont-text-scale” to 3,9 and all started working just fine.

Skoopman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
RockmanForte said:
Wait a minute... MYPlayer-CE can run DVDr backup movie like a retail dvd movie ?

Yep, I am streaming DVD isos right now via SMB. But you have to throw out the menu and extra stuff (I used dvd shrink), otherwise it's hard to skip to the movie. The only thing I can't get to work is displaying the subtitles. Almost forgot you have to add in the extension file in the mplayer folder the "iso" extension, it's still missing there. Weird thing is that they included the "img" extension but left "iso" out.
lecture.gif

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.

I will skip it and use geexbox instead. I know it wont run dvdr backup but it run better on many files and subtitles better than Mplayer-CE. Anyway, I would love to see geexbox nor Mplayer-CE to play the menu and extra stuff someday.
smile.gif

skaldicpoet9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having problems with MplayerCE. Firstly, I can play movies from a USB drive just fine but when left idle for any small duration of time the app freezes and I have to do a hard-reset. This also occurs when I try to stream movies from my computer to the Wii, it'll play fine for a few minutes and then freeze and I'll have to hard-reset again. I am using MPlayerCE v0.76. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

smashdude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright guys I have a DIFFERENT question but related to this. I downloaded MP: CE and it works fine but DVDX 3.4 somehow will NOT install. It says stubs of some sort. Can someone please help me with this? Do I need cIOS 249 for this as well?

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just downloaded the new svn build "r590" featured this May 7, 2010.
Noticed that whenever I played a file, audio or video, that the Wii's blue drive-light kept sporadically blinking quickly. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm running on a softmodded Wii at firmware 4.2U with Herme's CIOS202v4 using an IOS38 base installed for USB2.0 access.

I also noticed that the volume scale which was previously between 0-100 is now 0-200. By default the MPlayer CE starts up with the volume set at 100, half volume. I couldn't find this change documented on the MPlayer or MPlayer CE sites. A quick fix was to add the line volume=200 in the mplayer.conf file.

I made an error report on the Google Code page for the MPlayer CE project: ISSUE 718.

-[]D

UPDATE: Got a response from the issue report. Darn it if I don't have my Google password on this PC, I hope metaradil reads this here.
metaradil said:
It's impossible you only updated from r574.
Also, the actual value is 110.94%
Sorry, I only update MPlayer CE whenever I see a new version announced on WiiBrew and the last version announced before r590 was r574. I couldn't find a way to download and try intermediate SVN builds; but I don't have my Google password right now (why did I make it a random alphanumeric string, d'oh) and will try again later.
I just logged on the the Google Code site and saw that all the intermediate changes were just housekeeping and the source code only changed in r590 with respect to r574, so the issue; if not restricted to my Wii alone, should of been introduced in the r590 changes. If nothing was changed codewise that could affect the Wii drive light, must be my Wii, although it does not happen with r574, or any other program like WiiMC...wierdness...

-[]D

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PPSainity said:
UPDATE: Got a response from the issue report. Darn it if I don't have my Google password on this PC, I hope metaradil reads this here.
metaradil said:
It's impossible you only updated from r574.
Also, the actual value is 110.94%
Sorry, I only update MPlayer CE whenever I see a new version announced on WiiBrew and the last version announced before r590 was r574. I couldn't find a way to download and try intermediate SVN builds; but I don't have my Google password right now (why did I make it a random alphanumeric string, d'oh) and will try again later.
I just logged on the the Google Code site and saw that all the intermediate changes were just housekeeping and the source code only changed in r590 with respect to r574, so the issue; if not restricted to my Wii alone, should of been introduced in the r590 changes. If nothing was changed codewise that could affect the Wii drive light, must be my Wii, although it does not happen with r574, or any other program like WiiMC...wierdness...

-[]D

Surfing the internet, I came across badSAM's post about the Wii's blue light drive blinking. It does seem like the drive light is blinking in relationship to the audio playback.... So the issue is not restricted to my Wii alone. I knew there where more crazy people like me out there!

Seriously though, hasn't anyone else noticed this? Don't tell me everyone else is using WiiMC only now...
tongue.gif

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.