Hacking MP3s on EZFlash IV. Is there a program for that? plus sd card size?

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title suggests, is there a decent program for music on my GBA flash cart?
Also does the EZflash IV have a size limit for Micro SD card? Like can I use a 4GB card, or does it have to be 2?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
2GB limit.

If you can afford it, buy a Play-Yan.

Play_Yan_Micro.jpg

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not that I know of.

If it is for a DS Lite, you can use Moonshell on a slot 1 card.

If it is for a GBA, you need a dedicated player. Or M3 cards may be able to play MP3s, although I suspect the sound quality would be bad.

I have a Play-Yan, I love it. Best thing ever with a GB Micro.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
M3 can play music. I used to use it as a music player. It sounds ok but not great. Not something an audiophile would like at all.

You CAN play WAV files but that would take a lot of space.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA is not powerful enough to decode MP3 files in real time. In fact, it was a struggle to get them decoded on purely the ARM7 of the DS which had twice the clock speed. Thus, you must compress it into a different format first.

Your only two real options are Music Player Advance and GBA GSM Player. Both of them use their own internal filesystems, so they pack all your music into a *.gba file that cannot be larger than 32 MB.

Music Player Advance requires you to convert to a specific type of PCM WAV file (Audacity would work for this) and then convert each WAV file to a *.MPA file using the included tool, then manually add each converted file into the *.gba ROM file. On the plus side, MPA supports higher quality audio and can even do stereo audio as long as you're not using the highest quality possible.

GBA GSM Player is my personal preference even though it's only in mono. For this one, you use Audacity to convert to the highest-quality WAV file you can, then put the WAV files in a specific folder, run the "go.bat" file, and it pops out your completed *.gba ROM file. The audio quality on here isn't quite as good as the higher options in MPA, but you can fit up to 150 minutes of audio into a single 32 MB *.gba file.

That said, Moonshell on a DS is a much more capable MP3 player. You get actual filesystem support, enough horsepower to actually play the MP3 files, useful button shortcuts, etc.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The GBA is not powerful enough to decode MP3 files in real time. In fact, it was a struggle to get them decoded on purely the ARM7 of the DS which had twice the clock speed. Thus, you must compress it into a different format first.

Your only two real options are Music Player Advance and GBA GSM Player. Both of them use their own internal filesystems, so they pack all your music into a *.gba file that cannot be larger than 32 MB.

Music Player Advance requires you to convert to a specific type of PCM WAV file (Audacity would work for this) and then convert each WAV file to a *.MPA file using the included tool, then manually add each converted file into the *.gba ROM file. On the plus side, MPA supports higher quality audio and can even do stereo audio as long as you're not using the highest quality possible.

GBA GSM Player is my personal preference even though it's only in mono. For this one, you use Audacity to convert to the highest-quality WAV file you can, then put the WAV files in a specific folder, run the "go.bat" file, and it pops out your completed *.gba ROM file. The audio quality on here isn't quite as good as the higher options in MPA, but you can fit up to 150 minutes of audio into a single 32 MB *.gba file.

That said, Moonshell on a DS is a much more capable MP3 player. You get actual filesystem support, enough horsepower to actually play the MP3 files, useful button shortcuts, etc.

Remember to put the MP3 bitrate at a reasonable rate. 128 is good. I tried playing 320kbps and it played in slomo.

I got a phone now so I've been using that over my M3, I will say it was very useful to listen to music with though. Quality wasn't too bad, but after getting a phone, what's the point? I'm not much of an audiophile despite doing music myself, but you might just want to get a designated mp3 player.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...