Hacking Moving my Wii's HDD to vWii problem?

FrozenKetchup

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
293
Reaction score
102
Trophies
1
XP
1,157
Country
United States
I have a 1tb HDD with a GameCube and WBFS partition that work just fine on my Wii console when I run USB Loader GX and Nintendont. However, when I move my HDD to my vWii it doesn't even work. Nintendont just gives the error "No FAT device found" and USB Loader it stays stuck on "Initializing USB device" for a minute or two and then it says "No USB device detected". How do I fix this?

I managed to install The Homebrew Channel on vWii today so I'm new to vWii hacking since its very different than what the Wii modding was.
 
I have a 1tb HDD with a GameCube and WBFS partition that work just fine on my Wii console when I run USB Loader GX and Nintendont. However, when I move my HDD to my vWii it doesn't even work. Nintendont just gives the error "No FAT device found" and USB Loader it stays stuck on "Initializing USB device" for a minute or two and then it says "No USB device detected". How do I fix this?

I managed to install The Homebrew Channel on vWii today so I'm new to vWii hacking since its very different than what the Wii modding was.

Sounds like you need a Y-Cable. Is your HDD externally powered?
 
No its just a single usb cord for external harddrives and it works perfectly on my Wii. Doesn't work on my Wii U though.
 
Ah so having the Y cable is mandatory? Is that basically the only thing I need? I've basically did all of the necessary software work needed.
 
Ah so having the Y cable is mandatory? Is that basically the only thing I need? I've basically did all of the necessary software work needed.

Yes, a Y-Cable should be good. :) If you have further questions, feel free to read my stickied guide, The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide.
 
I read through it and it seems I've did all I did with my software part. Just needed the cable apparently. Also I've used all 4 USB ports and it didn't work. USB Loader seemed to detect my HDD but it didn't actually detect my backups. I already ordered a Y cable anyways.
 
Good suggestion. I doubt sincerely this will work, if he isn't already using them. But it's worth a shot.
in my case if I connect my HDD (with Y cable) in any other port fails....
I read through it and it seems I've did all I did with my software part. Just needed the cable apparently. Also I've used all 4 USB ports and it didn't work. USB Loader seemed to detect my HDD but it didn't actually detect my backups. I already ordered a Y cable anyways.
maybe is a dumb question, but you have in your SD the vwii version of usb loader?
 
Ya if you've used the back ports, then you just need the Y-Cable. I wish you good luck on waiting times. You should be good to go after it arrives.
 
I've had a few 2.5" HDDs attached to my Wii U without a Y cable and they all worked but as stated only on of the back USB ports is working.
I don't know which one it is (I'm not at home now) but it's not the one like it was on the Wii.
On one device it was the port nearer to the case's edge, on the other device vice versa.

However, since you already stated that you tried every single port I just wanted to contribute the information that there are a few HDDs which are working without Y cable.
 
for the compatibility while inside USBLoaderGX, the port you use depends on the cIOS you installed.

if you use a slot with d2x v10 (r52), then only USB Port 0 will work for the DATA line. (connect the data cable of your Y-cable to port 0, power cable to any other port)
if you use a slot with d2x v10-alt (r53), then you can connect the HDD to either USB Port0 or USB Port 1. (not port 3 or 4)
if you use the slot with IOS 58, then you can connect to any ports (but I didn't test front port inside USBLoaderGX). Front port will work on nintendont. You won't be able to play wii or emuNAND games, only gamecube will work on front port.

On WiiU :
Port 0 = back top
port 1 = back bottom

on wii, it was the contrary, port0 was on the bottom.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted