Moving from Gateway to CFW - how to?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by redion1992, May 13, 2016.

1. redion1992
    OP

redion1992 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2011
    I've been using a Gateway card for games and saves on a New 3DS, SysNAND 9.2, EmuNAND 10.7, using MenuHax to auto-boot. Is there a way to keep all this data and move to a CFW using A9LH? I've already grabbed the OTP, etc. but don't know where to go from here to keep as much as possible, due to the amount of CFWs out there with slightly different feature sets.

2. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
  3. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    Just follow the above guide, get Luma3DS and load emuNAND instead of sysNAND at startup, all your stuff will be there.

4. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
  5. Luanking

Luanking GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    And its important that you read everything twice and ask questions if there are any things you didnt understand.

6. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    Or make a NAND dump of emunand and flash it to sysnand using the (keep a9lh) option in decrypt 9 once he has it installed. That way he can have updated sysnand and all his stuff back with no messy emunand

Ziefer846 likes this.
  7. Luanking

Luanking GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I would suggest to do a Backup on several SD cards and save them somewhere you can find them again easily.

8. redion1992
    OP

redion1992 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2011
    OK, about to go ahead with the Part 5 of the guide, or rather the first three steps and following on from http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-use-gw-luma3ds-a9lh.424117/ - for now, anyway, until things are "stable" enough that I can move off the GW cart. However, I'm wanting to keep online access, and thus update to 11.0 - is there any further tricks I need to pull off to get this going, while still having access to work with things like .cia files?

Last edited by redion1992, May 14, 2016
  9. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    There's no harm in updating your emuNAND to 11.0 while keeping access to all your cia files.

10. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Mind elaborating on this a bit? I'm currently in more or less the same situation as OP - I have my OTP file, a 3DS on 9.2.0 and a whole bunch of NAND backups. Preferably I want my old Gateway emunand to become the new CFW sysnand. Is there anything extra that needs to be done for that, like convert it to some other format? And at what point in the guide would I install my old emuNAND backup to sysNAND? I don't want to randomly try installing stuff to sysnand for obvious reasons.

11. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    Once you have arm9loaderhax installed and your able to boot into a sig patched sysnand. You make a dump of your emunand(or take the already made dump you have) run decrypt 9 and restore your emunand dump to sysnand using the option (keep a9lh)

No modification needed.

Once done backup your nintendo 3ds folder then use emunand9 to format sd use the (without emunand) option so that it'll format it optimally and wipe the old emunand for your 3ds then copy your Nintendo 3ds folder back

Last edited by 4gionz, May 15, 2016
  12. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    You should always switch to Updated SysNAND.
    If you want to keep using Gateway just keep a 9.2 EmuNAND+firmware90.bin for Luma3DS on the SD card.
    From the EmuNAND you can launch into SysNAND in the Gateway menu.

13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Thanks, seems like it's working now. However, I get error 022-2634 whenever I try accessing the eShop. Any suggestions?

14. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Run Tinyformat

15. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yeah, but then I would lose all my installed games and saves, which is the whole reason I wanted to use my old emuNAND in the first place.

16. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    You don't lose anything they just are removed from the home menu. If you attempt to install the same game with BBM it will say the title already exists and will appear on the home menu as a gift.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If your paranoid about it just backup your saves with JKSV.

17. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Oh, tinyformat doesn't actualy delete anything? I was under the impression that it actually formatted stuff.

18. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    TinyFormat is a small utility to format Sys/EmuNAND using FS:InitializeCtrFileSystem but without formating your SD card.

You can format SysNAND or EmuNAND without internet connection/format SD.
    Very useful to unlink SysNAND or EmuNAND.

19. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    It tells the nand to initialize itself. It doesn't delete anything, but whichever nand you tinyformat will no longer be able to read the games on the sd.

20. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Ah. The problem now is that the games on it were almost all actual eShop games that I don't have cia's for, and it looks like I can't redownload them from the eShop anymore after formatting. I tried using Shameless to get back one of them (smash), but it redownloaded the whole thing, and my save file is gone.
    Edit: And even after installing some tickets that way, the eShop shows nothing in the "redownloadable software" list and nothing in the "installed software" either, even though Smash is installed.

Oddly enough, after the format, Zelda: Four Swords instantly appeared without me installing or downloading anything, and the save file for that still works.

Last edited by Arras, May 15, 2016