[GUIDE] How to use GW+Luma3DS+A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by zhdarkstar, Apr 25, 2016.

Apr 25, 2016
  1. zhdarkstar
    OP

Member zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Since I've seen so many threads about people having trouble using Gateway alongside A9LH, I thought that I'd finally pop my guide cherry to provide the information in a centralized location. This guide assumes that you've already followed Plailect's OTP guide up to at least Part 5, Section III.

Until Gateway comes out with their A9LH payload, there are pretty much two ways to boot into Gateway Mode while using Luma3DS+A9LH. They both involve the use of EmuNAND, so the choice really comes down to which would you like to be more convenient: booting into GW Mode (10.7 EmuNAND) or installing GBA/DSiWare (10.7 SysNAND). Make sure that "Use SysNAND FIRM as default" is turned off and "Autoboot SysNAND" is turned on in either setup for it to work properly.

1. If booting straight into GW Mode is of importance, then you will need a 9.2 SysNAND and a 10.7 EmuNAND. On the 9.2 SysNAND, set up MenuHax with Trigger 1 (no-buttons) and CtrBootManager to autoboot GW.3dsx.

The drawbacks to this setup are that you're still relying on MenuHax and GBA/DSiWare have to be double installed to work with EmuNAND. However, I find this build to be far more user-friendly for everyday use. Want to boot into GW Mode? Insert GW card and press the power button. Want to play GBA/DSiWare? Hold L while turning on the console.

2. If ease of installing GBA/DSiWare is more important, then you will need a 10.7 SysNAND and 9.2 EmuNAND. On the 9.2 EmuNAND you can either use MenuHax+CtrBootManager as above or the GW Launcher cia file. If using MenuHax+CtrBootManager, you should use Trigger 1 (L) for your MenuHax trigger and set the CtrBootManager recovery to any button other than L. Regardless of method chosen to launch GW.3dsx, you have to access the Gateway Menu by holding L at launch or not having the GW card inserted. Then, you have to hold B to bring up the Gateway SysNAND option and press X to confirm.

The tradeoff here is having to install GBA/DSiWare once in exchange for steps added to launching GW Mode each time you power on the system. With this setup, you'll have to hold L while booting to get into GW Mode. To boot into Luma3DS to play GBA/DSiWare, just turn on the 3DS.

Regardless of which method you choose, I recommend installing Quick Reboot to make switching between GW and Luma3DS easier. It saves you from having to turn the 3DS off and on whenever you're switching.

Last edited by zhdarkstar, Apr 27, 2016

2. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'm really stuck. I have 4.2 FW and 9.7 emunand, and there's so many steps.

Would be great if there was a non cart based exploit for HBL for 4.x ofw to get things rolling.

Normally I jump into cfw and things of that nature, but al9h looks like a huge amount of steps compared to GW.

3. zhdarkstar
    OP

United States
    Start with this before Step 1 of the OTP Guide. This will get you from 4.2 to 9.2 without the use of a cart exploit, as long as you have a browser. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

Just be forewarned that any games that use the 6.x save encryption key will need to have their saves decrypted before you update to 9.2 and then encrypted after the update. See this guide for more information about decrypting save files. http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/

KiiWii likes this.
  4. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Thank you for your info, I'll have to wait until my next day off to go through the process. I have 1 O3DSXL and 2 N3DSXL's to do :)

5. dragon_from_iso

Newcomer dragon_from_iso Advanced Member

any chance for some video proof as i have tried both the ways you have listed to no avail?

6. zhdarkstar
    OP

United States
    My phone's camera is shot, I'll shoot a video later, once my tablet is done charging.

Here are some questions that should help me get a better picture of what's going on:

Are you using a N3DS or O3DS?
    If you've used a downgrader on the 9.2 NAND, have you ever run Downgrade Check on it?
    Do you have all necessary files, including Launcher.dat?
    Which set up are you trying to achieve?
    Is your *hax installation working properly?
    Is your 3DS having trouble loading any non-CFW homebrew?
    If using a boot manager, is it properly configured?

7. leonmagnus99

Member leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Iraq
    i only use updated sysNAND OvO with LumaCFW , so .. i guess my only option would be to wait for a GW A9LH payload yeah?

8. zhdarkstar
    OP

United States
    There's option 2 for those who have 10.7 SysNAND. You need to set up a 9.2 EmuNAND in order to load GW.3dsx. If you still have the unlinked 9.2 NAND backup from the A9LH installation process, you can easily use that as your EmuNAND. Just create an EmuNAND and then restore it.

The other way to create a 9.2 EmuNAND is to make a EmuNAND of your current SysNAND, then unlink and downgrade it.

9. leonmagnus99

Member leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Iraq
    hm, i think i dont need it.. as i use CIA only.
    so my GW card is sleeping. (i only use my blue card at times to play ds games)

i'll just wait for a gw payload .

10. dragon_from_iso

Here are some questions that should help me get a better picture of what's going on:

Are you using a N3DS or O3DS? n3ds
    If you've used a downgrader on the 9.2 NAND, have you ever run Downgrade Check on it? it came with 9.0
    Do you have all necessary files, including Launcher.dat? yes have all files
    Which set up are you trying to achieve?boot 10.7 emunand
    Is your *hax installation working properly? yes
    Is your 3DS having trouble loading any non-CFW homebrew? no
    If using a boot manager, is it properly configured?[/QUOTE] yes

11. zhdarkstar
    OP

United States
    yes[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Got a few more areas to check for troubleshooting purposes.

1. Load up EmuNAND9, preferably the A9LH version. Near the bottom of the top screen, does it say "EmuNAND: GW EmuNAND"? If it says RedNAND, you have to convert your RedNAND to EmuNAND for this to work.

2. Run MenuHax Manager in EmuNAND and hold X while selecting Delete. This will remove any MenuHax ext-data from the EmuNAND without affecting SysNAND's MenuHax setup. This only works if your NANDs are unlinked.

3. Try the following settings in boot.cfg: timeout = 0 and autobootfix = 2.

dragon_from_iso likes this.
  12. dragon_from_iso

Hmmm... Got a few more areas to check for troubleshooting purposes.

1. Load up EmuNAND9, preferably the A9LH version. Near the bottom of the top screen, does it say "EmuNAND: GW EmuNAND"? If it says RedNAND, you have to convert your RedNAND to EmuNAND for this to work.

2. Run MenuHax Manager in EmuNAND and hold X while selecting Delete. This will remove any MenuHax ext-data from the EmuNAND without affecting SysNAND's MenuHax setup. This only works if your NANDs are unlinked.

3. Try the following settings in boot.cfg: timeout = 0 and autobootfix = 2.[/QUOTE]

it says gw emunand and does it matter that im on 9.0 instead of 9.2?

13. Timburpton

Member Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Is there anyway to just use sysnand directly? Without having to use emunand?

14. zhdarkstar
    OP

United States

it says gw emunand and does it matter that im on 9.0 instead of 9.2?[/QUOTE]
    It shouldn't matter. I'm on 9.0 as well, and I'm having no issues. Tablet is finally charged, so I'm going to shoot the video that proves that autobooting via this method does work.

If your SysNAND is 9.0-9.2, sure.

If you're using an Updated SysNAND, then not until Gateway releases their A9LH payload. Until then, GW.3dsx will only load with a 9.0-9.2 NATIVE_FIRM. Unfortunately, you cannot load a 10.x NAND with a 9.0 NATIVE_FIRM

dragon_from_iso likes this.
  15. dragon_from_iso

im going to remove a9lh till gw release there fix. thanks for your help.

16. zhdarkstar
    OP

United States
    OP updated with video proof that it should work.

17. Timburpton

United Kingdom
    So the best method would be to use 10.x emunand for both GW and Luma3ds?

18. Ericjwg

Member Ericjwg GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    a9lh + gw loader(cia format)
    around 7s + something shouldn't be long.
    should still faster than menuhax:)

but it's not "auto" though

is the auto loading really important for gw users? menuhax sometimes froze at debug screen

Last edited by Ericjwg, Apr 27, 2016
  19. zhdarkstar
    OP

United States
    I think so, but others may say differently based on their personal needs. It's really all about the choice of autoboot vs GBA/DSiWare single installation. I barely use GBA/DSiWare anyway, so having autobooting GW mode is my priority.

That's pretty much the Option 2 that I listed above. I prefer being able to push one button to get into GW mode, even if it takes a few seconds longer.

20. Timburpton

United Kingdom
    So unless I have any use for GBA/DsiWare there's no benefit on using sysnand only?