Moto Racer DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, May 23, 2008.

May 23, 2008

Moto Racer DS by Hadrian at 4:56 PM (1,627 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yet another Motorbike game is coming to the DS. See the trailer here. The DS footage is in the second half. Looks like a nice variety in tracks and huge city tracks (for the DS) too.

Features include:
    Four different modes: Moto, Supercross, Traffic & Freestyle.
    Race six players via WiFi (WFC?)
    Gameplay is used with the stylus (eek? Hopefully there will be d-pad and button controls.)

It looks alright graphically, better than the three PSX titles and should look better on the DS screen & I hope that the framerate in the video isn't representative of the game. Previous Moto Racer games have been real good but they were done by Delfine and they stopped making games in 2004.

The other bike game is Ducati Moto.

Lets wait and see if either of these games improve the racing on the DS.

2. incognito54

Newcomer incognito54 Advanced Member

Portugal
    It looks so sluggish! Seems it is running at 16fps or something. The fact that most of the video is sped up doesn't give me much hope...

3. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    wifi will be interesting :]

4. Athang

Newcomer Athang Member

Denmark
    Got 0 out of that vid....

5. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Hmm,looks ok-ish.

I havent played any in the series,so i might see what its like.

What we -really- need is motocross madness 2 for DS....

6. BoosLee

Newcomer BoosLee Member

Australia
    Looks ok, but seems to be a bit sluggish...

7. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    looks amazing and 6 players online will rule

8. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Looks interesting.

In response to the frame-rate worries, I won't assume it'll be perfectly smooth when it arrives, but I have one theory about it.

You know the difference between official trailers and homemade cam-videos, right? Even when the video has a picture of a real DS and seems to be recording the footage by taping it in action ON THE DS' SCREEN, the makers of the video actually taped two separate videos to show the footage: 1 video of the DS, 1 of the gameplay footage (recorded using a video capture as opposed to taping a video of the game playing strait off the DS screen). Here's an example of the differing ways of capturing game footage:

Here's one official promotional pic where they took a picture of a DS and later edited the picture in to include the gameplay:
    [​IMG]

Here's a fan-made pic of the actual game being played in real time:
    [​IMG]

Where am I going with my ranting? The MotoRacer DS footage was recorded with 2 separate videos (or maybe more, but for the sake of keeping it basic). 1 for the DS and it's background. Another totally different video of the game footage edited ON TOP OF the other video. The game footage could have been recorded at a lower frame-rate (whether intentional or accidental is not known). This happened with the footage of Dementium. The game ran at 60FPS when you played the real thing. Normal video usually goes at less than 30FPS. The videos of games often make them look less smooth than they are. However, IGN videos of Rayman DS (among some other DS games) actually made it look SMOOTHER than it really is.

Did anyone manage to understand what I'm attempting (badly) to explain (poorly)? Just know that videos are usually not a good indication of what a game will look like. Don't trust them. Any number of misrecordings could have affected how it looks.

9. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    @granville: I understand what you try to say, but I'm not looking forward to this game based on video, I never take trailers too serious..Some games look really great, and you go play it, and it turns out like crap..

I was waiting for some good moto game on DS..And Moto Racer really looks good..They had some great games in the past..I hope this won't turn out as a mess..

10. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I think its the opposite, a lot of games look bad in trailers and screens but on the DS in motion looks a lot better.

11. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    Looks good. My Guess is that the video is from a emulator!

12. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    yummy another racer [​IMG]. Now if they just decided to make other type of games online (fps 3rd person *chough**chough*)

13. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I wanted to write this, but it sliped away somehow.. [​IMG]