Hardware Motherboard Swap Gone Wrong??

GhouIie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a N3DSXL and a N3DSLL

I tried swapping the motherboards so I can have a white New 3DS ll running US firmware with a working Eshop, but when putting both systems back together, I get a backlit top screen, with no image or anything on both devices.

I figured that because one model had an IPS top screen that they need the original motherboards connected back. So I redid them.

The ribbon cables were handled carefully on both, and the ZIF connectors are all in working order. A metal set of tweezers were used, and there is only SLIGHT scratches on the cables. No crimps or bends, aside from the factory ones.

Does it matter if I have CFW on them? Is the SD card that was formatted needing the files for Luma, etc. to make the top screen work correctly?

I've tried a system format on each one, and everything BUT the top screen works.

Booting into Godmode9 also only displays on the bottom panel, with the top panel being backlit.

There is sound, there is a backlight with no image, and all buttons/touch functions work properly.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a N3DSXL and a N3DSLL

I tried swapping the motherboards so I can have a white New 3DS ll running US firmware with a working Eshop, but when putting both systems back together, I get a backlit top screen, with no image or anything on both devices.

I figured that because one model had an IPS top screen that they need the original motherboards connected back. So I redid them.

The ribbon cables were handled carefully on both, and the ZIF connectors are all in working order. A metal set of tweezers were used, and there is only SLIGHT scratches on the cables. No crimps or bends, aside from the factory ones.

Does it matter if I have CFW on them? Is the SD card that was formatted needing the files for Luma, etc. to make the top screen work correctly?

I've tried a system format on each one, and everything BUT the top screen works.

Booting into Godmode9 also only displays on the bottom panel, with the top panel being backlit.

There is sound, there is a backlight with no image, and all buttons/touch functions work properly.
IPS or not doesn't matter, people swap out their TN screens for IPS (especially if they have a limited edition with TN screens), but anyway, if everything works except the top screen and you have double checked the ribbon cables are inserted all the way, it has to be hardware damage to the connector or cable itself. The "slight scratches" you mention might actually be hairline fractures, it can be difficult to tell without a microscope, or at least a powerful magnifying glass.

GhouIie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure you didn't connect one of the cables from the top part upside down? I heard that it's a common mistake.

Yes, when I tried it the other way around the screens refused to power on and a slight pop was heard.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

IPS or not doesn't matter, people swap out their TN screens for IPS (especially if they have a limited edition with TN screens), but anyway, if everything works except the top screen and you have double checked the ribbon cables are inserted all the way, it has to be hardware damage to the connector or cable itself. The "slight scratches" you mention might actually be hairline fractures, it can be difficult to tell without a microscope, or at least a powerful magnifying glass.

I'll have to take your word for it, as I don't have any way of inspecting any closer than my eyes bummer. I will keep these systems as practice, and continue to work on them over time until I get better with repairs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill