Motherboard Replacement?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Jordan Wessley, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Jordan Wessley
    OP

Jordan Wessley Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Canada
    I messed up and sat on my O3DS xl and broke the hinge and top screen.
    Would it be safe to replace the the motherboard of another 3ds with rhis ones? If so, what level of difficulty might I expect

2. Thunder Kai

Thunder Kai #TeamRem

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    With Rem
    >breaks hinge and top screen
    >>wants to replace motherboard
    ?

3. qq12345

qq12345 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2016
    Senegal
    Think he wants to move his current motherboard to a new body to salvage data.

4. Thunder Kai

Thunder Kai #TeamRem

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    With Rem
    Buy a new screen?

5. Ldaz

Ldaz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Why not buy a new hinge and top screen? Would you please provide pictures to see what you would need to do exactly.

6. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    It would be multitudes easier to just replace the motherboard. I sacrificed my new 3DS XL by attempting to replace the screen, and

...yeah ...

Replacing a 3DS XL board isn't difficult.

7. Jordan Wessley
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Canada
    If I were to replace the screen I would just be wasting time. Somehow the hinge on the main frame broke. I was also hoping I would be able to unbrick my other 3DS by using this motherboard. I would save myself the trouble of the A9LH install again.

8. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I'm here in need of the speaker/3D thing of an o3DS here...I think the first problem was just the top screen broken but I messed everthing :B
    and had the unlucky of buying 2 ribbons and no one worked (or I messed one, the other seens allright testing the terminals but don't work even with an healty 3DS I got from a friend to test the pieces...)

Well fi you know exatly what is brolken, get just thes epieces or another broken 3DS with the pieces you need to fix

9. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    I might have wrecked a working ribbon after being impatient in feeding it through the hinge, but I had spares! Don't be impatient!!!!

10. cravas

cravas GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    Oeiras
    As I understand it, you want to use the motherboard of the broken console on a "new" console.
    You can do that and the "new" console will be fully operational as ith was (A9LH) and every backup you have is still good since it is from the "old" motherboard NAND chip.

All you have to get is a console (O3DS XL) that is fully functional except the mainboard and swap it.

1) remove the motherboard from the broken O3DS XL
    2) remove the motherboard from the "new" O3DS XL and replace it with the step 1)
    3) power up the "new" O3DS XL and everything will be OK

This site as everything explained in detail for motherboard replacement:
    https://pt.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+XL+Motherboard+Replacement/25399

11. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    yeah I think I learned at last =3=
    The problem now is getting a new working one

12. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
  13. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    IO'm thinking on liexpress... the payment is easy , may take more time to arrive but wel... the console is there for a long time, if a bit more it can't hurt more, right? XD
    but i'm afarid about the motherboard .... if I hold this ribbon (an working one, from the healty console)on the connector when turn on , I can make it boot the system, but don't last much to give a message that there was a problem and turn off
    Other issue is the connector of the top screen got broken.. I think I can use tape or something to hold in place when I assmeble but well, not assembling until I get a good cable xD

14. Jordan Wessley
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Canada
    I got it done. Please close this thread?

Minnow likes this.