Gaming Mother 3 on 3DS VC?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EnigmaXtreme said:
Guys i'm sorry it appears the report of Advance titles on the 3DS VC was a mistake

I apologize

we've already addressed this, its almost definitely just going to occur a little later on in the 3DS lifecycle, much like how the wii has added consoles to its virtual console over time.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
_Chaz_ said:
Midna said:
how_do_i_do_that said:
Mother 3 was never released for NA. The only way your going to see Mother 3 on a 3DS is on a japanese version of the 3DS.
Ever played Sin and Punishment or SMB Lost Levels from the Wii Shop Channel?
Pwn't.
Lolno.

1 - Sin and punishment already had the english voices and shit in the japanese game. They just needed to translate some menu graphics.

2 - The Lost Levels is not nearly comparable translation-wise to an RPG like Mother 3. Not nearly. Not at all. If you think so, you've either never played both, or you're flat-out retarded.

sponsorship of toMato?

Toader

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wad injection anyone?
biggrin.gif

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
NO chance. Reggie has explained his disdain for the Earthbound (Mother) series and he said he wanted nothing to do with Mother 3.

I could always dream but at this point (and for the last few years) it's a 99% chance of no.

I mean, they won't even put Earthbound on Virtual Console for the Wii. and Starmen.net had a petition with over 100,000 signatures...

NOA localization just does not like Earthbound. too big of a flop for them when first released and they don't want anything to do with it now. It is a shame, really.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
NO chance. Reggie has explained his disdain for the Earthbound (Mother) series and he said he wanted nothing to do with Mother 3.

I could always dream but at this point (and for the last few years) it's a 99% chance of no.

I mean, they won't even put Earthbound on Virtual Console for the Wii. and Starmen.net had a petition with over 100,000 signatures...

NOA localization just does not like Earthbound. too big of a flop for them when first released and they don't want anything to do with it now. It is a shame, really.

And we shall request a new NOA president!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
Rydian said:
2 - The Lost Levels is not nearly comparable translation-wise to an RPG like Mother 3. Not nearly. Not at all. If you think so, you've either never played both, or you're flat-out retarded.
sponsorship of toMato?
No, I just realize the substantial difference between a few lines of text, and a few thousand lines of text.

Patcheresu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vgfantasy.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
SHUT THE FUCK UP. NONE OF YOU GET IT. Why would Nintendo keep Ness AND PUT LUCAS in Brawl when they could remove both of them? Simple. Earthbound is loved by Nintendo. Same as Mother 3.

Would you like to know why the Mother trilogy will never be released again in America ever again?

Here's a clue.

In Flint's Chapter in Mother 3, Chapter 1, THE FIRST BATTLE THEME IS A RIP-OFF OF THE Adam West BATMAN THEME. The name of the song? "Mr. Batty's Twist" Fair Use Laws vary in countries.

Japan:There is no piracy. Only people who acknowledge that they don't own it and people who lie about owning it. GESU WICHU WONSU ESU GOIN TU PURISANU? (Guess which one is going to prison?)

USA:HOW DARE YOU USE MY SONG IN YOUR THINGY? ROYALTY TIME, BITCH.

Do you really want the GOVERMENT suing Nintendo of America for using the song Jackie's Cafe, which has riffs from "The Star-Spangled Banner" EarthBound has around 200 or so song tracks. And more than 3/4 of them have references to American songs in them. MOTHER is a line from a Beatles song. Do to that pro bono law or whatever, Nintendo is off the hook. But if they use the song again, AFTER the new laws have been made, then imagine over 150 licensing fees. Nintendo loves Ness and Lucas. Just not as much as they love the money they can spend furthering the 3DS. You call yourself Mother 3 fans and ooze about the fan translation YET YOU ARE IGNORANT OF THE MAN WHO ABLED YOU TO PLAY IT. Tomato did research, you didn't.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/01/analy...s-battle-music/

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earth...d-legal-issues/

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/08/some-...c-similarities/

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/01/possi...other-3-for-ds/

Also, TWO BOSSES THEMES ARE MEDLEYS OF FAMOUS CLASSICAL WORKS.

THERE IS NO WAI THAT IS LEGAL IN AMERICA. NOT AT LEAST WHERE I STAND IN VIRGINIA.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Way to bump a half-month old thread with anger and assumptions.
tongue.gif

I suggest you actually READ the laws before you tell a forum what's what.
[*]http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/hourei/data2.html
http://www.cric.or.jp/cric_e/csj/csj.html
Japan has copyright laws. Their laws may differ when it comes to derivative works, but saying there's no piracy is just plain stupid.

[*]You're not aware of copyright dates or lengths, it seems.
Famous classical works... Let's see, when was the classical period? Late 1700's to early 1800's (say, 1830 at the latest)?
http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Date of Publication
Before 1923
Conditions
None
Copyright Term
None. In the public domain due to copyright expiration

[*]Now, the majority of the music is considered derivative works.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/101.html
QUOTE said:
A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.Okay, so the music is a derivative work. Well, can it be copywritten?
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf
QUOTETo be copyrightable, a derivative work must be different enough from the original to be regarded as a "new work" or must contain a substantial amount of new material. Making minor changes or additions of little substance to a preexisting work will not qualify the work as a new version for copyright purposes. The new material must be original and copyrightable in itself.
Okay, so we all know the majority of music in Mother 3 pays homage to or contains snippets of copywritten music... will a decision be made to take those snippets out?

We can't tell.

Patcheresu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vgfantasy.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Fair Use laws of THE NEW MILLILENIUM. I don't think I lied
tongue.gif
, Also, I was talking on the issue of enforcement and piracy was stuck with me. I should have substituted it with a word that made sense in the context but I didn't wanna. Also, DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY FEES NINTENDO WILL HAVE, LAWSUIT OR NOT JUST TO CLASSIFY THEM AS DERIVATIVES. It's just not worth the time and effort. Yes, they are all derivatives except for mainly those three songs I listed, "Mr. Batty's Twist", "Family Matters 2nd Movement", and "Ode To Ancestors 8th Movement". YOU CAN NOT AVOID HEARING THESE SONGS. Why?

Mr. Batty covers an opening which Flint barely fits through, and since that is the first battle of the chapter, he's not turning around running. You gotta EARN your Chuck Norris street cred.

The second is the mid-boss of Chapter 2. Unavoidable in all ways.

The third is the same concept as the song above and you fight the advanced version of said mid-boss. To get? The ULTIMATE weapon for the guy who had to fight that annoying prick Mr. Passion in the first place.

Also I hate furverts like you. Telling you why later in a PM.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
How is that remotely related? You make good points, but if you really feel the need to get personal like that, do it straight to PM, you don't have to announce it in a thread. And you're messing with me too, pal.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patcheresu said:
Fair Use laws of THE NEW MILLILENIUM. I don't think I lied
tongue.gif
, Also, I was talking on the issue of enforcement and piracy was stuck with me. I should have substituted it with a word that made sense in the context but I didn't wanna. Also, DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY FEES NINTENDO WILL HAVE, LAWSUIT OR NOT JUST TO CLASSIFY THEM AS DERIVATIVES. It's just not worth the time and effort. Yes, they are all derivatives except for mainly those three songs I listed, "Mr. Batty's Twist", "Family Matters 2nd Movement", and "Ode To Ancestors 8th Movement". YOU CAN NOT AVOID HEARING THESE SONGS. Why?

Mr. Batty covers an opening which Flint barely fits through, and since that is the first battle of the chapter, he's not turning around running. You gotta EARN your Chuck Norris street cred.

The second is the mid-boss of Chapter 2. Unavoidable in all ways.

The third is the same concept as the song above and you fight the advanced version of said mid-boss. To get? The ULTIMATE weapon for the guy who had to fight that annoying prick Mr. Passion in the first place.

Also I hate furverts like you. Telling you why later in a PM.

Caps doesn't make your point any less wrong.

Everything Rydian said spells it out to where if Nintendo really wanted to translate it and bring it stateside, they could. He posted sources for everything he said, unlike you who's just spouting off things you think you know. Have you personally been there when Nintendo had a situation like this? Do you work in their legal office? Do you even know somebody that works there that knows this stuff? If they run into any legal issues, that THEIR problem. Not ours. Got a problem with it? Then get a GBA Emulator for your favorite system and download the patch and stop wining. It really is silly to be arguing over speculation though, isn't it?

The fact is that we don't know what to expect from 3DS VC. You, Patcheresu, turned this topic from wishful thinking and hope into legal jargon and anger. If you love Mother3 like the rest of us, then just calm yourself down, step off your soap box, and stop trying to make yourself look cool by yelling on a forum where its easy to forget about you. (I know the things you said won't keep ME up tonight. I took my kids trick-or-treating. NOTHING is keeping me up...Lol.)

Also, your last comment, completely uncalled for. I'm not into the furry stuff personally, but even I was offended by your blatant disregard for tact and tolerance. If you've been here long enough to post 18 times (at the time I'm writing this), then you should have read a rule topic or two by now. Think, man!

Now, to bring this topic back to where it should be, I think that Mother3 would be a delightful edition to the stateside library. I think that it would take some work, since Nintendo would have to translate it first, but if it never happens I'm not too torn up. Granted, it would be neat to see how accurate the fan translation is, but playing the fan translation on my Wii on a big screen TV is enough to make me happy.
happy.gif

Patcheresu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vgfantasy.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you misunderstand. I AM right about the song debate. THat is why Mother's never coming back. I'm pissed because everybody says Nintendo hates Earthbound when that's bullcrap. And do you know why Reggie doesn't like Mother 3? How would you feel if you already had your daily shit for being the representaton of Nintendo of America when it's really the board who makes the decisions. But, NO. You just had to keep Lucas in Brawl and now you have to deal with people asking you to translate and release a game about murder, torment, sadness, depression, and lots of license disputes. President says NO.

I'm yelling because most of you can't seem to grasp that this stuff isn't easy. Nintendo of America's localization team has had it up to here with no one ever being satisfied with anything. And a game that depicts a little boy kissing a grown man mermaid to stay alive IS. NOT. COOL. Not cool at all. Suffice to say, it ain't happening. I love the games, I've downloaded all the songs, but I know when to admit that it's emulator and ROMs or nothing at all. This applies to all 3 Mother games.

So Mother 3 has some strikes.

1. So many licenses and disputes I could have to kill a tree just for those contract papers themselves.

2. Sane people don't design oxygen tanks as grown male mermaids asking small children if they want oxygen with the blush obviously showing that they don't like the idea of it but it is necessary to advance in the game. Ooh, Pedophilia is a double whammy.

3.Do you want people to look at Lucas, think that's gonna be the sun-shiniest game ever and see his family massacred, his home ravaged, his people torn apart, the wildlife distorted, mutilated and reforged, and worse of all, that bastard Porky will NEVER die. Yep. A real shoo-in for an E rating. There's only: Violence, Suggestive Themes, Language, Fantasy Violence, Partial Nudity, Character Death and would you look at that? It just needs lotsa blood and it has the same qualifications of a Shin Megami Tensei game. Which are always rated M.

So with that, I suggest WE ALL get back on the true topic of not why Nintendo's at fault but if it's a possibility. Don't look at me like that I only responded like this because you people were wrong. I'm only half the problem. Now you have to apologize.

Do I think Mother 3 will ever be in America? NO.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let me piece this apart and shed some light on how you're talking...

Patcheresu said:
Maybe you misunderstand. I AM right about the song debate. THat is why Mother's never coming back.

Firstly, you state this as if it is a solid fact. The only possible way you could be right is if you can provide evidence that solidly states that this is the case. You would need a direct statement from Nintendo themselves that this is the exact reason they would not bring the game stateside. Thus, you are portraying your personal opinion as fact, and that makes you immediately wrong.

QUOTE said:
I'm pissed because everybody says Nintendo hates Earthbound when that's bullcrap. And do you know why Reggie doesn't like Mother 3? How would you feel if you already had your daily shit for being the representaton of Nintendo of America when it's really the board who makes the decisions. But, NO. You just had to keep Lucas in Brawl and now you have to deal with people asking you to translate and release a game about murder, torment, sadness, depression, and lots of license disputes. President says NO.

http://www.1up.com/news/reggie-metroid-sto...sues-earthbound

That article right there debunks anything you could possibly say about Reggie's opinion on the Mother series. You want to know what I Googled to find it? "Does Reggie like Earthbound?" That simple to find. Sure, its three years old, but he's a professional doing his job. Unless you've personally spoken to him on this matter, then this (yet again) is opinion as fact. Strike 2.

QUOTE said:
I'm yelling because most of you can't seem to grasp that this stuff isn't easy. Nintendo of America's localization team has had it up to here with no one ever being satisfied with anything. And a game that depicts a little boy kissing a grown man mermaid to stay alive IS. NOT. COOL. Not cool at all. Suffice to say, it ain't happening. I love the games, I've downloaded all the songs, but I know when to admit that it's emulator and ROMs or nothing at all. This applies to all 3 Mother games.

Here, you're blaming us for not admitting you're right. We apparently can't grasp your opinion and accept it as your own, and this frustrates you. That's really smart. Blame the people who don't agree with you so you can feel better about yourself. And yet again, you are speaking as if you know Nintendo's people. Followed by, what's this? More opinion as fact. Strike 3. Should I continue anyway even though your out before your "list of reasons I'm right?" Sure, why not.

Oh, and Earthbound on SNES says hi, btw. (In response to your last sentence in this block.)

QUOTESo Mother 3 has some strikes.

1. So many licenses and disputes I could have to kill a tree just for those contract papers themselves.

2. Sane people don't design oxygen tanks as grown male mermaids asking small children if they want oxygen with the blush obviously showing that they don't like the idea of it but it is necessary to advance in the game. Ooh, Pedophilia is a double whammy.

3.Do you want people to look at Lucas, think that's gonna be the sun-shiniest game ever and see his family massacred, his home ravaged, his people torn apart, the wildlife distorted, mutilated and reforged, and worse of all, that bastard Porky will NEVER die. Yep. A real shoo-in for an E rating. There's only: Violence, Suggestive Themes, Language, Fantasy Violence, Partial Nudity, Character Death and would you look at that? It just needs lotsa blood and it has the same qualifications of a Shin Megami Tensei game. Which are always rated M.

1) You know this for a fact? Again, are you part of their legal offices? Have you seen the paperwork? Do you really care THAT much about trees?

2) If you really want to get technical, just what is sanity? We all know the Japanese make games that push some personal limits over here in the states. Has that stopped everybody in the US from playing Cho Aniki, or putting the game down when fighting Mr Gold and Mr Silver in God Hand (now THAT'S an obscure reference if I've ever seen one)? I don't think it has, or ever will.

3) Everything you list here just sounds like good plot development to me. Has anybody ever said this would have to have an E rating? Are US companies only allowed to bring over E rated games now? Will it have any other rating stop people from playing it? Nope.

So with that, I suggest WE ALL get back on the true topic of not why Nintendo's at fault but if it's a possibility. Don't look at me like that I only responded like this because you people were wrong. I'm only half the problem. Now you have to apologize.

Do I think Mother 3 will ever be in America? NO.

Firstly here, I removed your editing because I thought it was obnoxious and didn't feel I should repost it. Secondly, if you want us to stay on topic, do so yourself first. (I realize this entire post in that tense makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but I also feel this is needed to show you that you did in fact do something wrong with how you went about it.) If you feel somebody needs to apologize to you, you are wrong. We don't have to be sorry for disagreeing with you, not liking your attitude, or calling you on your mistakes.

You're last sentence however is the only thing you've done right in your entire rant. It was the only bit that was presented solely as your opinion.

I am going to apologize, but not to you. I'm sorry to all the readers here having to read through all your self-centered, opinionated, blind banter TWICE just to get to the end of my post and continue reading this topic. I hope you've learned something from all this.

If you're upset that you won't be getting an apology, then welcome to the internet.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole music thing... who cares? I mean musical tracks get changed all the time from one region to another. So if there really is an issue of a song not able to be played on a US game due to copyright laws, then they easily could just change it, this seriously happens ALL THE TIME.

Patcheresu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vgfantasy.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
duffmmann said:
The whole music thing... who cares? I mean musical tracks get changed all the time from one region to another. So if there really is an issue of a song not able to be played on a US game due to copyright laws, then they easily could just change it, this seriously happens ALL THE TIME.

The music is derived from American songs. The only songs that don't do this are original ones like "Theme of Love" and "Battle Against The Masked Man" most songs are derivatives or rehashes of songs.

1 song, big deal.

But out of 250 songs, if 150 of them are rip-offs then that's a problem. They have to write up licenses and clarifications for all of that. No one feels like pulling a Sonic CD just to keep a small margin of fans happy. Take money from Mario sales or excommunicate Earthbound.

I think the answer is obvious to Nintendo, maybe not to some Mother fans.

coolface.jpg

Problem, Mother fans? Trololol I feel like a bastard today.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patcheresu said:
Problem, Mother fans? Trololol I feel like a bastard today.

Just today (yesterday now)? Seems to me that its more of a hobby for you.

You seriously think that you're right? You CAN'T be right unless your point is proven. None of us in this topic are right, but you're the only one claiming that everything you say is true. The rest of us are speculating, presenting possibilities, and expressing interest. You're just trying to shoot everybody down so you can say its going to happen this one certain way. You have no way of knowing how its going to play out if it happens, you don't know what you're talking about, and I'm honestly not convinced you truly have any appreciation for games in general if your trying to pick this one thing apart and say you're right about it.

Now, here's how I see your opinion. Looking at your profile, you're 14. That puts your birth at either 1996, or late 1995. This is when EARTHBOUND, Mega Man 7 and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island came out. You state that your first video game was Donkey Kong 64, a late N64 title. This makes me believe that you find 3D games more interesting, as it was your first. Now, considering that you're an early teenager who started with 3D games, and that your attitude is OBVIOUSLY the, "I'm right, you're wrong," mentality, I honestly don't believe you care about Mother 3 like the rest of us do and only wish to make yourself feel better by being right.

But, as I said, you CAN'T be right. Its impossible, and you have yet to see this. You honestly believe that those of us that can actually appreciate the older generation of games will find your opinions solid? I understand that 14-year-olds are stereotypically internet attention whores, but you don't need to do that here. That's what MySpace and Facebook are for.

Now, my first system was a Super Nintendo, with Super Mario All-Stars and World (not the same cartridge, unfortunately). I had friends with the NES, so I got the experience of both at the same time. I appreciated gameplay despite graphical differences. I found good games, and bad games, for both. I actually RENTED Earthbound back when Blockbuster still had SNES. I played it on a separate TV while my family watched the ball drop for New Year's. (I used to rent from the local grocery store! Who remembers when they did that?) My point is that I, like so many others here, have more of a connection and appreciation of Mother 3 due to our past experiences.

We also understand that what we discuss here is speculation and opinion. Its DISCUSSION. Not a pointing game where we're all yelling, "I'm right! You're wrong! Haha!" We know that its ultimately up to Nintendo, regardless of the situation. You have taken ONE IDEA, pinned you opinion to it, and are trying to shove it down our throats as fact. You've insulted and blamed us, called us wrong, and still seem to think you have a valid point.

When it comes to Mother 3, I truly hope that it comes to the 3DS VC COMPLETELY IN TACT. That way you will see that everything you said had nothing to do with it. You've made it to where I want the game to come stateside just to shut you up. Just to show you that everything you've said is nothing more than diarrhea of the mouth (and keyboard) and so you can be put in your place. Essentially, you've ruined the possible experience of just seeing a good game come to us in American for me. If that was your goal, congratulations. But know this...

You can NEVER be right unless an official Nintendo statement is made, saying that the reason the game wouldn't come stateside is because of legal issues over the music. That's a very specific thing, so if it doesn't come over for other reasons you're still wrong. So, stop saying you're right and trying to piss off the Tempers, because it will backlash on you.

You know, I do have to thank you a bit. You've really fired up my writing lately. I'm trying to write a book (have been for years), and responding to your incessant ignorance has shown me that I can still write for a long period on the same thing. Thanks for that.

Now, I think I'm going to go play the fan translation, because I still have yet to finish this game, and this topic has rekindled my desire to play it. (No thanks to Patcheresu.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...