Hacking Most reliable phat model?

Nooblit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all. So my current 360's drive died, and rather than going through the trouble of trouble shooting it and trying to fix it, i'm opting to just buy a whole new console. My knowledge is outdated by about 5-6 years, so my question is if i'm going to buy another, which one should i be shooting for?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you really want a phatty then go for the Kronos model (or Jasper model) made in 2010/late 2009.
Falcons are pretty reliable.
Anything under 2008 is rubbish basically.

If you don't care about modding etc, go for a Slim.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Nooblit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really want a phatty then go for the Kronos model (or Jasper model) made in 2010/late 2009.
Falcons are pretty reliable.
Anything under 2008 is rubbish basically.

If you don't care about modding etc, go for a Slim.

I figured, but just thought i'd ask. yeah slim's a no-go. gonna flash the drive as soon as i get it.

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't know if anything before Jasper is garbage, but I still use my Xenon Jtag with the fan directly soldered on 12v. It's only problem is the noise from the fan, it's like a plain is starting in my living room. But besides that it's still working great.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Advantage of hardware hacking is (without those ugly 12v fan mods) that you can directly modify the fan speed in the SMC, giving it 100% at boot.

As for reliability with stock speeds, Xenons and Zephyrs, not worth it.
Late Falcons are (if gotten cheap enough)

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if anything before Jasper is garbage, but I still use my Xenon Jtag with the fan directly soldered on 12v. It's only problem is the noise from the fan, it's like a plain is starting in my living room. But besides that it's still working great.
You're extremely lucky to have a xenon that still works XD. I had two and they both went kaputs. I salvaged parts to fix my friends 360 lol

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If MS added an intake fan to the design of the 360 then a lot of RRoD problems would be less.
Ofcourse, lead-free solder is the main part of the problem.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It'll still dry out after years of use.
Intake fan well placed drastically reduces the inside temperature, not to mention disallow any heatpockets from building up.

Then again, even the PS3's cooling is poor.
When you're making consoles by the 100.000s at a time, saving 25 cents on a different design is already 25 grand less in production costs.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since i have an xkey, i removed the dvd drive, added a fan on both cpu and gpu and routed the air to come out the back. she runs for hours without even getting hot, just warm. i obviously can't tell the temp but im always concerned about RROD so i feel the back of it every so often after its played for a while.

as dinoh said, intake to flow the air from the front through the back is best but involves cutting the case usually. i did it to a phatty a while ago and added a temp sensor, was cool but noisy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: