either way, i like mortal kombat much more than sf, doa or capcom vs
so i would love to see one

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EphenSteve said:
gah you guys arent getting the point. IN THE GAMES there really isnt a story. i know theres comics/movies/cartoons that explain it but im talkin games here
wacko.gif

And that's incorrect. Deception has a Story Mode that follows Shujinko's path of learning moves and balancing the power of the different realms. It's an actual full blown out story, and is the main draw of the game, while Arcade mode plays back seat. It's not just "round to round" story, either - a lot of the game takes place outside of one on one fighting, and there's lots of exploration and character building. Armageddon has a similar story mode, but it follows Taven and his path of stopping his brother and control of the realms. It's a fully blown story mode as well, and it's not just a "round to round" arcade mode with a story thrown in - there's lots of exploration, wandering, and character building. Shaolin Monks is probably the biggest draw from the story, as it's not one on one fighting, and the entire game is plot driven. Same goes with Special Forces. Deadly Alliance also had a story with scenes and such, but it doesn't feature the RPG adventure that Deception and Armageddon has.

In the original 4 titles, yes, you are right, there's very little story presented to the player. However, most of the future titles actually have deep stories, with Deception and Armageddon having fully blown out story modes, Shaolin Monks being a RPG game only, and the more recent MK vs DCU having more cutscenes than gameplay. Special Forces is an older (pretty bad) MK title that's also all story.

Edit
And again, Sub-Zero Mythologies, as you mentioned. Those are all story driven titles, as opposed to arcade driven, as most fighters are.

QUOTEisn't midway bankrupt?
either way, i like mortal kombat much more than sf, doa or capcom vs
so i would love to see one

It's in the process of liquidation. However, Nether Realm Studios, the company that makes the Mortal Kombat titles, was acquired by WB Studios. Everything Mortal Kombat, from what I understand, is owned by WB Games, now. Most of the staff is the same, but Midway Chicago (the specific studio that makes MK titles) was rebranded Nether Realm Studios.

EphenSteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk i always looked at those mortal kombats as an off series because the characters that the story is based on are only new to those releases but again thats just how i see it im not saying anyones wrong at all you are 100% right that those do have a story but in my opinion they aren't "Mortal Kombat" to me. thats the reason i only said Sub Zero mythologies because hes been there all along.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. Well, an opinion is an opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is incorrect, I'm just saying that there is a story, and the listed games actually focused on the series story. Whether they did a good job with it I suppose is up to the person playing.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back on topic: If they do bring mortal kombat onto the 3DS it will probably be a remake or a quick port, just like UMK3 on the ds which was pretty good for a port.

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
cris92x said:
Back on topic: If they do bring mortal kombat onto the 3DS it will probably be a remake or a quick port, just like UMK3 on the ds which was pretty good for a port.
True, but it would be nice to have a "Real" Mortal kombat handheld game, and not just a port

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a go of Mortal Kombat 9 on the 360 yesterday and wow, it's incredible! In terms of both story and gameplay it's way above any MK game we've had in a long time. I'd love to see that game brought over to the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: its the emote but ridiculously small