More than 30 US TV shows have been cancelled!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah I forgot the
"wait, nobody kneecapped the walking dead?" line.

Some have been saying it got better but I figure it burned its bridges.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah I forgot the
"wait, nobody kneecapped the walking dead?" line.

Some have been saying it got better but I figure it burned its bridges.

I never bothered with season four but from what I heard it sounds dismal. Season two was a peak season, everything outside of it has ranged from okay to bad. Even season one wasn't that great, it was just good in a vacuum.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Meh, anything I watched out of those was Almost Human and Community, the former being rather meh, though I would've loved to see at least another season to maybe fix some of the problems with the show. Community is a shame, though I haven't kept up much during the fifth season. I half expect either a Netflix revival like Arrested Development or enough backlash to the cancellation that it'll get some sort of "last run" movie or something.

EDIT: Actually I watched The Crazy Ones as well, or at least half the episodes that aired. When I heard Robin Williams was gonna get a TV show of some sort I was ecstatic since I'm a huge fan of his. But the jokes were so bland and the show got so repetitive that I couldn't bother watching any longer.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never bothered with season four but from what I heard it sounds dismal. Season two was a peak season, everything outside of it has ranged from okay to bad. Even season one wasn't that great, it was just good in a vacuum.

I saw the pilot when it leaked and thought it was good. After that everybody seemed to contract the stupid virus and watching it turned into an exercise in masochism.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the pilot when it leaked and thought it was good. After that everybody seemed to contract the stupid virus and watching it turned into an exercise in masochism.

The pilot was really good, but it felt like all the hype was put into that and somehow people keep dragging it on. You look at the pilot episode in comparison to all the other episodes and you realize how shit the show is. It should've been a miniseries at best.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
30 TV shows... how is FAST6191 going to fit all of this shows into his timetable.... because of his "i only watch canned tv shows" rule.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a simple enough algorithm.

Is it on the CW? If so there had better be some serious evidence that it is good (probably the last thing to have this happen would be Reaper).

Is it a comedy show? Same again, the last it would have happened for is probably Legit but I had seen all his standup before so it seemed to be covering the same ground (it was intended to but hey).

Do I already have a bad medical show on the go? If so then I do not need another. Basically all medical shows are bad medical shows by the way, you probably get a great comedy more often than you get a good medical show.

Does the plot basically reset every week or is there an actual attempt at a longer form plot? If the former then ignore it. Many screenwriters now seem onboard with long form TV which is an awesome development, I am not sure what to thank for this.

Is it a crime show? Are we still living in a post wire world? If yes then you can probably ignore it. For further questions is the show built around a central gimmick where the main person has a strange ability? If so then you can probably ignore it or just watch the pretender again, minor exception if the gimmick is actually supernatural. Definite miss if the premise is "just an old fashioned lawman in a modern world" or some minor spin on the same, NCIS does not count in this but something like The Closer would.

Related to the definite miss above, if the main character is put forth as a paragon of virtue for which the marquis of Queensbury provided a true way of life/fighting then definite miss.

Also related to the above. Do the writers seem like they would like to be back in fantasy 1950's America? Ignore the show as hard as you can. This does include things like Mad Men and even stuff like suits which kind of stems from it.

Am I likely to learn something by watching? Definitely an option, Burn Notice and Lie to Me are good examples.

Is it on the discovery channel or something similar? Ignore it until I am bored and they are playing a marathon one weekend.

Reading the comments on the show. Is a big draw that there is a very pretty person running around with not many clothes a lot. Do you have a functioning internet connection? [probably as broadcast TV is far inferior to computer delivered TV] Then it does not matter and you are probably too desensitised anyway. It can be good in spite of that though, Graceland and The Blacklist being two exceptions in recent memory.

Is J.J. Abrams involved? This is good but bail out before they let him have free reign and you start getting supernatural or truly crazy conspiracy nonsense, doubly so if the plot of the original series has been resolved (resolved can also mean "well these uber bads were just revealed to be puppets for an even bigger bad).

Someone somewhere said something about amnesia, it truly is a hack's device in screenwriting and a red flag as a result. It is not necessarily fatal though.

It varies slightly for non US TV (the strict season model and need for some 20 odd shows per series damages things a lot for me) but not by an awful lot.

I would also have "magic computer"/"that is really not how a computer works" in there but that would mean I have nothing at all to watch, probably not even Game of Thrones.

Edit. Forgot to add. If the show is about con artists and is even close to bearable I will probably watch it. There have not been so many bad ones in recent years though, granted there have not been many at all in recent years but I can hope for that elsewhere.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also related to the above. Do the writers seem like they would like to be back in fantasy 1950's America? Ignore the show as hard as you can. This does include things like Mad Men and even stuff like suits which kind of stems from it.

Does Mad Men really count if it's a reflection on (and, in many ways, a criticism of) that time period? I've seen all of maybe 10 minutes of the show and it's pretty clear that the show is not presenting the time period in any sort of rosy, nostalgia-filtered way.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does Mad Men really count if it's a reflection on (and, in many ways, a criticism of) that time period? I've seen all of maybe 10 minutes of the show and it's pretty clear that the show is not presenting the time period in any sort of rosy, nostalgia-filtered way.

I suppose it is a variation on not all nostalgia is leave it to beaver style nonsense (though I truly detest that, handy as it means I can skip much of Hays code era output), see also people that seem to think Sonic Adventure was a positive step. Maybe less nostalgia and more aspirational type stuff, such a thing probably sounding odd when I say I really did like wolf of wall street.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "cooking show" comment for Hannibal made me chuckle alot. I seriously like that show. The wife and I watch Revolution and will probably miss it even though it has become quite dismal. The rest of them, well most, I have never even heard of, much less actually watched.

D

Deleted_171835

Is J.J. Abrams involved? This is good but bail out before they let him have free reign and you start getting supernatural or truly crazy conspiracy nonsense, doubly so if the plot of the original series has been resolved (resolved can also mean "well these uber bads were just revealed to be puppets for an even bigger bad).
Okay I actually laughed here.

Then again he was the co-creator for Fringe and that show ended fine (and was overall real fucking good) but exception to the rule and all that. Don't know if I should be worried about Person of Interest tho considering he's an exec producer there.

loco365

Trophies
XP
NBC
Revolution

MBSXppB.gif

That show was just starting to get good too :c

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reality TV = the no. 1 cause of stupidity

...To be fair "reality TV" is a very broad term. It could mean anything based in the real world. So this ranges from Real Housewives of Some City to Top Gear.

For the record I like Top Gear and I think that it's an excellent show purely because it's very well made.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...To be fair "reality TV" is a very broad term. It could mean anything based in the real world. So this ranges from Real Housewives of Some City to Top Gear.

For the record I like Top Gear and I think that it's an excellent show purely because it's very well made.

A dare say relevant at this point

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
It's the worst when the same commercials are re-ran on different commercial breaks during the exact same show - that upsets me about television whenever I do watch it.

I gave up watching TV because I just can't handle adverts any more. The only thing I watch on "TV" is the Formula 1. What's really grating about the coverage over here is that during the advert breaks, which are clearly interrupting the race, they feel the need to run adverts for... their F1 coverage. Seriously.... watching an advert telling me to "Watch the Spanish Grand Prix Live" right in the middle of the race is extremely frustrating.

Sometimes, even, in any given add break the "Watch the race live" advert is the only advert that's run!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The Community was alright, but it could have been more funny like 30 Rock.
Otherwise, good riddance to cancerous TV. :3

The writer's strike is long over, yet the writers are still filling the air with garbage. This is a MUCH needed purge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.