More than 30 US TV shows have been cancelled!

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by WiiCube_2013, May 11, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    ABC
    Suburgatory
    Super Fun Night
    The Neighbors
    Trophy Wife
    Mixology
    Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
    Mind Games
    Lucky 7

FOX
    Surviving Jack
    Dads
    Almost Human
    Enlisted
    Rake
    Raising Hope

CBS
    The Crazy Ones
    Bad Teacher
    Hostages
    Intelligence
    Friends With Better Lives

NBC
    Revolution
    Believe
    Community
    Crisis
    Growing Up Fisher
    The Michael J. Fox Show
    Sean Saves the World
    Ironside
    Welcome to the Family
    Dracula

CW
    The Carrie Diaries
    The Tomorrow People
    Supernatural: Bloodlines
    Star-Crossed
    Nikita

There's probably more to be canned too but for now this is all, I think.

Such a shame that Community, Crazy Ones and Surviving Jack got cancelled as I really liked these series, as well as Tomorrow People but the writing pissed me off so I don't really care much about TPP.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks WiiCube_2013, I was going to do this year's one (last year's link with previous ones available on the same http://gbatemp.net/threads/tv-cancellations-of-2013.348027/ ) but you saved me the trouble. I might add some more to this post later though.

As ever my suggested guide to the utterly bizarre setup of US TV is

ipwndeveloper likes this.
  3. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I watch none of these.

4. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    About time Nikita got cancelled.

5. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Oh, there goes Nikita.
    My family and I watch that show.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, television is dying, it's becoming a more and more archaic medium now that we have the Internet, similarily to the radio which these days is most often used by drivers for background noise.

Ammako and DiabloStorm like this.
  7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Bring out yer dead! Bring out yer dead!

Seriously, this is bloody-er than an Englishman's verbal tic.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  8. 1stClassZackFair

1stClassZackFair GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2012
    United States
    Texas
    Goodbye Supernatural Spin-Off. Time to listen to Deftones.

9. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah Foxi, I agree with you a lot of the times but not here. If anything, we're in a television golden age. It's not dying by any metric, apart from I guess, a marginal amount of people not watching TV on the actual TV anymore.

I mean, just look at some of the shows already on.

- Game of Thrones
    - Hannibal
    - Person of Interest
    - Mad Men
    - The Good Wife
    - Orange is the New Black
    - House of Cards
    - Arrow (it's not perfect but good for a comic-book esque show)

Even if we ignore some of the stellar show's that have recently finished (Breaking Bad, Fringe, etc.), this is still a really solid list. We got a practically movie-budget thrilling fantasy show (Game of Thrones), a mesmerizing cooking show (Hannibal), a great sci-fi drama (Person of Interest), a show about DC Comic's Arrow and more. TV is at its best right now.

ipwndeveloper likes this.
  10. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    As long as I have my "Whose Line Is It Anyways?", I'm satisfied. That's literally the only thing I watch on TV nowadays. I find myself using Netflix to watch older TV shows far too often to care for modern television.

the_randomizer likes this.
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Why yes, we have some great shows coming out as of late, sure, but looking at the matter globally, it's like a drop within a sea. People used to sit around their TV's every single day - nowadays people either DVR stuff to watch it later or watch it through streaming services like Netflix, Hulu or HBO Go.

When was the last time you came back home, took your shoes off, sat down and thought to yourself "I'm going to watch TV now"? I bet you don't think in these categories anymore - you only ever turn the TV on with the intention to watch TV when those specific shows are being broadcasted and then you switch to superior outlets of entertainment like your console or the Internet.

I personally stopped watching television practically altogether - if I do turn it on, it's to provide background noise for whatever else I'm doing. If I want to watch a show, I can do it whenever I want - all it takes is a couple keystrokes and I can stream it online so the necessity of television has greatly diminished, which was my whole point. My TV is literally just a huge display I connect things to - I don't actively watch any TV station at all.

I absolutely agree that people want to watch the shows but as you say it yourself, they don't necessarily watch them on the actual TV anymore, which was my whole point in saying that broadcasted television is dying. In the very near future stations will probably gradually shift from focusing on broadcasting to focusing on production of even more great shows like the ones you've mentioned.

12. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

At least Radio has the advantage of not being easily replaced, yeah you can do the phone thing with iHeart radio or Pandora but actual radio is just easier. (I actually use iHeart radio to listen in my house... lol)

When it comes to TV almost everyone has net access so Netflix/Amazon/Hulu become real cheaper options. I know I ditched cable about a year ago and Netflix + Youtube and some other sources pretty much mean I have enjoyed shaving almost 100 dollars a month off my bills and the side bonus of I rarely see advertisements.

Sure it's not ready for everyone yet (not everyone has access to net speeds that allow for multiple HD streams.) but for those that can get the speed it's very very nice.

Edit: On the whole list, I am only sorry to see one show get yanked... Revolution was interesting, I watched the first season on Netflix and even though it was canceled on the networks I thought Netflix was picking it up?

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Exactly. Why would you pay for cable and be at the mercy of the station's schedule if you could subscribe to Netflix or an equivalent service and VOD whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want? The Internet opened so many doors and so many opportunities that stations have to adapt or they'll fall into obscurity. Again, even though radio is easy, there's still online podcasts or SoundCloud. Hell, if you're not interested in radio news or talkshows, you can just listen to mp3's and forget about the radio altogether. :rofl2:

Ammako likes this.
  14. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    ...Aaaaand they all suck except for Community.

Into the trash it goes.

BortzANATOR likes this.
  15. CJL18

CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2007
    United States
    For them to have not canceled two and a half men exactly how much money is chuck lorre paying CBS you can't even call it two and half men anymore they should rename the show two men and a lesbian.

16. Psionic Roshambo

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

On another advantage, I recently started watching House MD again on Netflix. I watched them all on cable back when I had it even DVR'ed it on the nights I wasn't home. The 1 hour show consists of slightly more than 30 minutes of actual show and about 30 minutes of commercials....

In other words Netflix is saving me half the time to watch the same show with way less aggravation in the process.

Nightwish and Foxi4 like this.
  17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's the worst when the same commercials are re-ran on different commercial breaks during the exact same show - that upsets me about television whenever I do watch it. I know about your bloody toothpaste, I don't care, can I please skip this? It's as if they want everyone to buy DVR's, watch television with a 1 hour delay and fast forward past all commercials.

18. Psionic Roshambo

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

LOL if I could like a comment 30 times I would..... So agree... So agree.... One thing I don't miss about cable at all.

19. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Chuck Lorre doesn't have to pay them anything. The title's accuracy notwithstanding, the show is still raking in an assload of cash. People watch it, whether or not it's good - see The Big Bang Theory, Glee, and others.

20. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    The problem is... is all this means is -more- of the so called -reality- shows on TV.