Hacking more storage for the DS-X

djac

Trophies
XP
Country
what is this about storage. I am impatiently waiting for my DS-Xtreme to turn up in the post. As soon as it gets shipped(bloody Divineo UK you think they'd reply to an email)I've a pretty big ds collection. And the following games I will be able to fit on DS-Xtreme as soon as it arrives

Yoshi touch and go
Bomberman
Advanced wars
Castlevania
Viewtiful Joe
Texas Hold'em poker
Bubble bobble Revolution
New rainbow island
Worms open warfare
New super mario brothers
Mario basket 3 on 3
Starfox command

and I still have space left over

I like idea of more space but its not needed. So what if ya want 4gig of space why would you need such a stupid amount of games on a cartridge in the 1st place. Now somone gonna come back and say I wanna watch movies or something like that. Christmas is coming up get santa to get ya a zen vision :m for christmas. A dedicated movie player with 30 gigs of storage sorted let the DS play games and watch movies and listen to music on zen
wacko.gif

djac

Trophies
XP
Country
yep all those games take up total space of 424MB

biggest DS game at the moment is resident evil deadly silence 128MB(1Gbit)

So at the moment DS-Xtreme has enough free space for a game 4 times bigger that the current biggest game on the market.

Divineo still haven't shipped mine yet and I've given up emailing them
hate2.gif

Vince989

Still lurking around, sometimes...
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
These games might add up to 424 MB (haven't checked myself), but that is in bytes. It would be around 3.4 Gbits, and the DS-X has 512 MBytes storage, which is 4 Gbits. Thus, yes they would all fit (considering 424 MB is the real size).

However, that is indeed 4 Gbits, while the biggest roms are currently (if not always will be) 1 Gbit (128 MBytes), but there are not many 128 MBits games yet. The major ones are Rub Rabbits, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 3 (in Japanese at least) and the recent not-English English Training game
tongue.gif

- Vince989

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
djac, some people want to have more space.
I'm one of those people.

For me it means not having to swap over files from my pc to flashcart. I prefer to just add files to the cart, it eventually fills but with more space that takes longer.

I think the DS-X looks great but the space is a limiting factor for me. I am glad that it is much easier to transfer files with DS-X (no game manager software!) but it is still a hassle when out and about with a portable.
I don't think it really needs to be argued over though. Some people are happy with 512 MB and some aren't.
I will be getting a DS-X in due course but am waiting for a hopefully 1 GB (8Gb) version. If it doesn't come out anytime soon I'll pick up a 512 MB to add to the cart collection.

Some people have a strong interest in having the DS as a media player too. It might seem crazy to you not to buy a dedicated media playing portable but for others it is not what they want.
I have a PSP for watching video on the go but like to use my DS for music sometimes as I don't take the PSP out much. Space is again an issue when trying to keep a bunch of games and music on the one cart.

To sum it all up: Some people want something that you and others don't. It's cool we can still all get along
yaynds.gif

Hope your DS-X turns up soon and it's big enough for you, in my experience once you have a flashcart for a while that's when it's no longer big enough. That's when you ask santa for another flashcart.

I want three this year santy, I've been good!
tongue.gif

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Christmas is coming up get santa to get ya a zen vision :m for christmas. A dedicated movie player with 30 gigs of storage sorted let the DS play games and watch movies and listen to music on zen
wacko.gif

Because I don't wish to spend $300-$400 on one (or have a friend, family member, etc spend it) or to carry around even more crap then I already do. Sorry, but this is hardly a defence for the DS-X's lack of space. I'm not saying that 512MB isn't enough for many people, but suggesting one go buy a $300 IPOD sized device as a solution to what others might find a problem is both silly and poor debating skills.
wink.gif

while the biggest roms are currently (if not always will be) 1 Gbit (128 MBytes), but there are not many 128 MBits games yet
- Vince989

They will not get bigger then this, 1Gb is all that the DS can adress in that slot. It's the same reason there will never be a retail GBA cart over 256 Mb's (flash carts use tricks like bank switching and file systems to break that barrier).

djac

Trophies
XP
Country
Fair enough all valid points I just think 4Gbit is enough.

KidIce with regard to my silly and poor debating skills
wink.gif
that really hurt my feelings
cry.gif
wasn't actually debating... I suppose your right $200+ for something extra to carry around in my pocket I didn't give enough thoughtt... Thinking about it maybe the G6lite micro SD version might be a cheaper alternative to have along with the DS-Xtreme(best of both worlds seeing as it has passme function). Use G6 for homebrew applications(movie players etc) and let DS-Xtreme play the games

Anybody looking at this post I'm asking if you ordered your cart off Dinineo.uk and if you have received yours/is it dispatched yet or are ya having the same grief as me.(18 emails sent and not 1 reply) this lack of communication annoys me just an email to say the ETA of the thing could mean I could Sort myself to be off because I always miss the postman and hate going to post sorting office

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
most companies are RECIEVING their ds-x's on the 19th/20th of october. they sohuld be mailed out by monday. you should have it by the end of october/early november (if you get the first batch).

being able to trim the roms is good enough. get a slot2 storage unit for more space and carry the cables with you if you are that worried about it (provided you have access to a comp
wink.gif
).

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce with regard to my silly and poor debating skillsÂ
wink.gif
 that really hurt my feelingsÂ
cry.gif
wasn't actually debating... I suppose your right $200+ for something extra to carry around in my pocket I didn't give enough thoughtt... Thinking about it maybe the G6lite micro SD version might be a cheaper alternative to have along with the DS-Xtreme(best of both worlds seeing as it has passme function). Use G6 for homebrew applications(movie players etc) and let DS-Xtreme play the games

I was making no effort to hurt your feelings, for that I appologize. I just wanted to point out that that hardly "fixes" the capacity of the DS-X for those that find the current limit a problem. I for example, have around 800 MB's of games on my microSD currently. Many of these are the sort of things that have found a fairly permenant home there (Marca DS, Extreme Onslaught, Club House Games, etc) as they are infinitely replayable and just the sort of thing I'm looking for when I need a twitch/casual gaming fix. The rest of the deeper/harder core games are swapped out as I finish or tire of them and they are still taking around 650 MB's of my card... The rest is filled w/ MP3's and Amiga demo scene and game MOD's. So w/ my current habits, buying a Zen Vision wouldn't "fix" the DS-X for me as the Zen Vision can't play the 150 MB's of DS software that I couldn't fit on the DS-X.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a great cart. It sounds like they've really delivered on what they promised, and considering they pretty much came out of nowhere w/ it I'm very impressed. I may even get one in the future as some of the features it has are pretty compelling.

rayden

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
djac, some people want to have more space.
I'm one of those people.

For me it means not having to swap over files from my pc to flashcart. I prefer to just add files to the cart, it eventually fills but with more space that takes longer.

I think the DS-X looks great but the space is a limiting factor for me.

The same with me! 512MB sounds a little low - I got a 1GB Micro SD and it's almost full.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if anyone else has ever tried the PC / mobile program Orb, for streaming video and audio from a PC to a cellphone or PDA. However, that got me thinking. Would it be possible to write something like this for the DS-X? What I'm thinking of would consist of a PC program (password protected of course) that would share all .nds files in a folder over the internet, when requested by the client program which would run on the DS and save the game directly to the DS-X. Of course, the DS would have to be in range of a Wifi access point, but that wouldn't really be a problem most of the time, would it?

GeneralLeoFF

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Supplemental storage is pretty much the first thing that came to mind when I read the recent DS-X review. It would be very nice if the team released a slot-2 device that can accept removable flash storage to act as supplemental storage for the slot-1 card. I mean the ability to transfer files between slot-1 to slot-2 not just do a pass card boot on my current G6 Lite (Though that's also a nice feature). It would also give them GBA support plus we would likely have a decent GBA menu. Something virtually none of the Chinese teams have been able to do.

Bram Stoker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys.. you are making problems where there are none :-).

As soon as DS-X releases the LibFAT source, homebrew developers can start to make "middle-man" tools which will do this:

Copy files from M3/G6/whatever GBA slot on to the DS-X FAT.

Then you can manage all files from a SD/CF from the GBA to the DS-X FAT with 100% compatibility!!!

*drools*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...