Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kratoz29

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm pretty noob about it but... are my Sysnand and Emunand linked even when I don't have a NNID? I tried to log in in my O3DS but I couldn't cause Sysnand is in 4.5 (Emunand is in 10.3 BTW), I don't have NNID cause needed to format my O3DS before the downgrade cause the thing didn't want to open the browser or update I've messed up the thing twice already.

1.- My games were deleted twice, surely I remember I've entered to data management in Sysnand once, but the second time I don't remember to have done anything special...

2.- My save data of my Majora's Mask cartridge was destroyed when tried to play it in Emunand 10.3, didn't asked me anything, is there any workaround to be able to use it (and in the future preserve the save game of any cartridge) without dumping it? I've seen over there that I should just play it in Sysnand, but it is iso low and it doesn't run.

Anyone can help me with this?

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which things would unlinking be better for? I know its safer. I dont mind losing the shop but I do play my games online sometimes.
Well the eShop is messed up with linked NANDs, because your NNID is only supposed to run on one NAND (transferring excluded). Also, if you change themes on the EmuNAND without unlinking, you kill MenuHax. And finally, the obnoxious giftwrapping bug (all CIA installed games or apps will rewrap themselves). Nothing much other than that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your issue sounds weird.... And yes, the SysNAND and EmuNAND are linked, no matter what, until you unlink them. That's because the EmuNAND starts off as a complete copy of your SysNAND, so because they look for the same files, a lot of stuff gets messed up.

kratoz29

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Your issue sounds weird.... And yes, the SysNAND and EmuNAND are linked, no matter what, until you unlink them. That's because the EmuNAND starts off as a complete copy of your SysNAND, so because they look for the same files, a lot of stuff gets messed up.

So no way to keep playing my retail cartridges?

Even unlinking nands?

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the eShop is messed up with linked NANDs, because your NNID is only supposed to run on one NAND (transferring excluded). Also, if you change themes on the EmuNAND without unlinking, you kill MenuHax. And finally, the obnoxious giftwrapping bug (all CIA installed games or apps will rewrap themselves). Nothing much other than that.

Im confused. So if they are unlinked no eshop at all but if they are linked the shop still wont work correct? With unlinked is there a way to play games online?

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im confused. So if they are unlinked no eshop at all but if they are linked the shop still wont work correct? With unlinked is there a way to play games online?
If they are unlinked, then you have to update the EmuNAND to use the eShop. And for some games, you need a NNID to play online, so create that if necessary. Otherwise, you can play right now!

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are unlinked, then you have to update the EmuNAND to use the eShop. And for some games, you need a NNID to play online, so create that if necessary. Otherwise, you can play right now!

Im on a N3ds so if I update EmuNAND to 9.5.0-23 using sysupdater, would I then have to use a spoofer?

fan242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did u put firmware.bin and that signature file ~0x25~ in rxtools folder?

Works for me when I did it fan242
umm can you tell me ur file size of the -0x25-.bin?
mine is just 1kb and the same error came up after putting it in rxtools folder

Squirtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eritrea
umm can you tell me ur file size of the -0x25-.bin?
mine is just 1kb and the same error came up after putting it in rxtools folder
My file has 1kb too, Idk... When I tried on the first time I used recently rxtolls version, signature file and correctly firmware.bin and it worked fine... When I did it again only for close NNID on both NANDS I got your error. For my lucky I had a backup of my sd card and I put verything back, didnt get that error again.

If someone here understand more than me help him, it's probally not bad downgrade.

fan242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My file has 1kb too, Idk... When I tried on the first time I used recently rxtolls version, signature file and correctly firmware.bin and it worked fine... When I did it again only for close NNID on both NANDS I got your error. For my lucky I had a backup of my sd card and I put verything back, didnt get that error again.

If someone here understand more than me help him, it's probally not bad downgrade.
umm since my o3ds xl is new, i never set up a nnid???? does that affect it or is nnid auto allocate?

Squirtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eritrea
Dont think so, but I would give it a try, bind a NNID on your sysnand ( I dont know if u can do that without updating BE CAREFUL!)

I must say: on the second time I followed different guide, dont know if I was using cfw with signature, neither firmware, totally mess.

Last edited by Squirtle,

fan242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can't create nnid without updating =.=

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What is this rxtools.dat ? I cant seem to find the file in the download, rxtools.dat was mention in the pdf that was in the zip

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hearing so many complaints about rxTools failing to do X, Y or Z is kind of aggravating.
It's becoming pretty clear (Read: It was pretty clear fom the beginning) that rxTools's nightlies are slowly becoming increasingly unstable, so I'm heavily considering switching the tutorial over to ReiNAND and overhauling it so people stop misstepping and skimming over key parts. I'll start a poll for it in a moment. Any criticism for this idea?

Both of your problems can both be traced down to linked NANDs. Unlinking NANDs is reccomendable in pretty much all situations, since the massive version gap between your sysNAND and emuNAND means that things are prone to going wonky.
Your titles being deleted can be avoided through unlinking, and I'm fairly certain this is the case as well for Majora's Mask saves disappearing: Your sysNAND is on an absurdly low version that doesn't have the 6.x save encryption keys.
You could just as well use sysUpdater to upgrade to 9.0-9.2 if you'd like to try to solve the problem without unlinking.

kratoz29

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hearing so many complaints about rxTools failing to do X, Y or Z is kind of aggravating.
It's becoming pretty clear (Read: It was pretty clear fom the beginning) that rxTools's nightlies are slowly becoming increasingly unstable, so I'm heavily considering switching the tutorial over to ReiNAND and overhauling it so people stop misstepping and skimming over key parts. I'll start a poll for it in a moment. Any criticism for this idea?

Both of your problems can both be traced down to linked NANDs. Unlinking NANDs is reccomendable in pretty much all situations, since the massive version gap between your sysNAND and emuNAND means that things are prone to going wonky.
Your titles being deleted can be avoided through unlinking, and I'm fairly certain this is the case as well for Majora's Mask saves disappearing: Your sysNAND is on an absurdly low version that doesn't have the 6.x save encryption keys.
You could just as well use sysUpdater to upgrade to 9.0-9.2 if you'd like to try to solve the problem without unlinking.

Are there any cons about updating my sysnand to 9.0-9.2?

Where did you here that about Majora's?

So if my sysnand would be in 9.0 my save game won't be deleted when I try to play the cartridge in other 3DS?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any cons about updating my sysnand to 9.0-9.2?

Where did you here that about Majora's?

So if my sysnand would be in 9.0 my save game won't be deleted when I try to play the cartridge in other 3DS?
The main con about 4.5+ is that you lose the ability to launch exploits through mset, but on the plus side, you get the ability to pseudo-coldboot homebrew and CFW through Menuhax on 9.0.
As for the MM thing, read up about 6.x save encryption. Whatever it is that caused the 6.x encryption to not be read properly on emuNAND is beyond me, but it's almost certainly related to NAND linkage.
And, yes, that's correct. 6.0+ firmwares don't have this save encryption problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol