Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i open emunand9, i dont see an option to dump sysnand. Can anyone tell me exactly how to do this? im trying to retrace my steps to figure out why i cant get rxtoold to load from ctrbootmanager. I finally loaded a correct firmware.bin into rxtools, but i still dont see the option to run it in ctrbootmanager and if i manually run code.bin, the system hangs

geocool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I've followed the tutorial for installing custom firmware for 9.2. I recently downgraded from 10.2.
I've setup emunand with EmuNAND9, transferred back to SD the backup, re installed menuhax, copied ctrBootManager to SD & copied rxTools with firmware.bin in the sys directory etc.
When I try to launch rxtools with ctrbootmanager (with menuhax) I get "Err:Couldn't load arm9 payload".
Any idea what's wrong ?

Edit:
Copied rxTools folder again and now I can boot from CtrBootManager.

Last edited by geocool,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've followed the tutorial for installing custom firmware for 9.2. I recently downgraded from 10.2.
I've setup emunand with EmuNAND9, transferred back to SD the backup, re installed menuhax, copied ctrBootManager to SD & copied rxTools with firmware.bin in the sys directory etc.
When I try to launch rxtools with ctrbootmanager (with menuhax) I get "Err:Couldn't load arm9 payload".
Any idea what's wrong ?

Im having exact same problem. got downgrade just fine. installed ctrbootmanager fine (im pretty sure as it loads the purple menu and i can browse files.) stuck at not being able to or knowing how to load rxtools. i try to manually run code.bin from ctrbootmanager and the system hangs. no messages, just freeze. It would be great if someone could link to a known, 100% working copy of rxtools that used this tutorial and please, pretend i'm a total moron (which this is making me feel like lol) and tell me every baby step to get rxtools and cfw running.

richardparker

Trophies
XP
Country
India
i've done everything in the o3ds guide but there is still one problem- im getting black screen with rxtools i've read the guide and I seriously dont understand this part which I have to understand-If you're getting a black screen while booting rxTools, either emuNAND booting is triggering Menuhax due to the theme payload still being present or you're experiencing an unknown problem. If it's the former, try holding/not holding the button combination you set to not trigger Menuhax. If it's the latter, try the alternate rxTools.zip download. Can anyone PLEASE explain it to me? I've already had problems in the different boot files cuz I have 3 of em right now- bootHBL8,boot_hb and boot. I dunno where the second one came from but it doesn't matter. Pls explain me the black screen fix. Thanks

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if i install a cia can i update that cia legit from the eshop if it needs a update? like for example i installed shovel knight cia and it needs a update can i install update through eshop or should i get a update cia only?

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i install a cia can i update that cia legit from the eshop if it needs a update? like for example i installed shovel knight cia and it needs a update can i install update through eshop or should i get a update cia only?
I don't believe so. As I understand it, you do not have the actual legit certificate that says you actually own the title. You may download the update, but it will not be recognized and link with your cia game. You can get updated cia files though if they have been released.

Last edited by V0ltr0n,

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i've done everything in the o3ds guide but there is still one problem- im getting black screen with rxtools i've read the guide and I seriously dont understand this part which I have to understand-If you're getting a black screen while booting rxTools, either emuNAND booting is triggering Menuhax due to the theme payload still being present or you're experiencing an unknown problem. If it's the former, try holding/not holding the button combination you set to not trigger Menuhax. If it's the latter, try the alternate rxTools.zip download. Can anyone PLEASE explain it to me? I've already had problems in the different boot files cuz I have 3 of em right now- bootHBL8,boot_hb and boot. I dunno where the second one came from but it doesn't matter. Pls explain me the black screen fix. Thanks
What the guide is saying is that you should use the third rxTools download linked in the guide if you're getting a black screen that you have to hard reset out of. Simply replace the rxTools in your SD card with that one and overwrite everything, don't delete. firmware.bin should still be inside the rxtools/sys/ folder afterwards and everything should work.
As for what the first part is all about, it's saying that a boot loop where trying to open rxTools just results in CTRBootManager opening again is because you're somehow triggering Menuhax whilst opening rxTools, since emuNAND would still have the Menuhax theme. If you set it to trigger when not holding any buttons, hold some buttons to get it to not trigger. If it's still set to trigger upon holding a button, don't hold any buttons. Simple as.

Im having exact same problem. got downgrade just fine. installed ctrbootmanager fine (im pretty sure as it loads the purple menu and i can browse files.) stuck at not being able to or knowing how to load rxtools. i try to manually run code.bin from ctrbootmanager and the system hangs. no messages, just freeze. It would be great if someone could link to a known, 100% working copy of rxtools that used this tutorial and please, pretend i'm a total moron (which this is making me feel like lol) and tell me every baby step to get rxtools and cfw running.
I really don't know what's up with your install.
CTRBootManager should look like this:

cbm.png

If you don't have the rxTools option, then something's definitely very wrong.
It's very well possible that either your SD card, its adapter or reader are defective, but you should only try to switch as a last resort.

Dudes, i have a noob question, when i get the emunand, what is the way to update the emunand? And i can login with my NNID in emunand if y reset both nand?
Yeah, I believe so.
As the guide said, you could reset sysNAND instead of emuNAND during the linking process and that would work as well.

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Installation error: Failed to load NATIVE_FIRM: 4 Reboot RxTools and try again.
I've already installed emuNAND and was able to boot into it once, so I guess it's not a bad downgrade.
What should I do?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Installation error: Failed to load NATIVE_FIRM: 4 Reboot RxTools and try again.
I've already installed emuNAND and was able to boot into it once, so I guess it's not a bad downgrade.
What should I do?
Try replacing firmware.bin and overwriting the rxTools folder with the one from your copy of the .zip file, something might've gotten corrupted.

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try replacing firmware.bin and overwriting the rxTools folder with the one from your copy of the .zip file, something might've gotten corrupted.

Thanks!
I've formatted my SD card, but forgot to place firmware.bin on RxTools/sys folder after restoring my backup :P
Now I just need to relax and play some Zelda Triforce Heroes!

Bonerlord

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm following your guide - and it may be just because I'm new to this - but how do I boot rxTools from the CTRBootManager? I assume it's through a file in file browser, but i'm unsure which one I'm supposed to be using to start it up.

EDIT: I was missing the .cfg file.

Now I'm getting that same NATIVE_FIRM: 4 error as the other dude. Not quite sure what could be wrong with the firmware file.

Last edited by Bonerlord,

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is hopefully my last question:
So now can I just use coldboot via menuhax to enter emuNAND or does I need to hold L and enter RxTools menu everytime?

Konako

2B Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks!
I've formatted my SD card, but forgot to place firmware.bin on RxTools/sys folder after restoring my backup :P
Now I just need to relax and play some Zelda Triforce Heroes!
Wait what how did you do ?
I have the same error and I don't know how to fix ;w;

Edit: Got it working I'm just dumb

Last edited by Konako,

keroppi

Trophies
XP
Country
I followed your guide to the end and got most things setup (O3DS). My only problem is that by default it boots into sysNAND. I can hold the L key to get menuhax to come up, which will then load CTRBootManager and rxTools to get into emuNAND; but I'd prefer it to do so by default.

Any ideas where things went wrong? This somehow describes my case

If you're getting a black screen while booting rxTools, either emuNAND booting is triggering Menuhax due to the theme payload still being present or you're experiencing an unknown problem. If it's the former, try holding/not holding the button combination you set to not trigger Menuhax. If it's the latter, try the alternate rxTools.zip download.

minus the black screen part.

Should I try the alternate rxTools?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I followed your guide to the end and got most things setup (O3DS). My only problem is that by default it boots into sysNAND. I can hold the L key to get menuhax to come up, which will then load CTRBootManager and rxTools to get into emuNAND; but I'd prefer it to do so by default.

Any ideas where things went wrong? This somehow describes my case

minus the black screen part.

Should I try the alternate rxTools?
Are you sure it's booting into sysNAND?
By default, emuNAND is an identical clone of sysNAND. Going to System Settings should say RX-E if you're on emuNAND on boot.

This is hopefully my last question:
So now can I just use coldboot via menuhax to enter emuNAND or does I need to hold L and enter RxTools menu everytime?

You can just not hold anything during boot and it'll autoboot to rxMode emuNAND.

I'm following your guide - and it may be just because I'm new to this - but how do I boot rxTools from the CTRBootManager? I assume it's through a file in file browser, but i'm unsure which one I'm supposed to be using to start it up.

EDIT: I was missing the .cfg file.

Now I'm getting that same NATIVE_FIRM: 4 error as the other dude. Not quite sure what could be wrong with the firmware file.

Try redownloading firmware.bin and dropping it in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus