Homebrew Moonshell2 Unpacking Skins - Does it work for you??

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
OK - It seems that someone has managed to succeed in modifying the 'makeskin.exe' program that comes with Moonshell2 download
in such a way that you can now unpack *.skn files to get the original graphics back

Download link: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=10068

HOWEVER, it seems not everyone has had sucess when actually running the program
So I'm wondering if there's some common factor that is STOPPING the program from working for some people & working for others - hence this post

What I'd thought would be if as many people can download the modified 'makeskin.exe' & try it out on *.skn files & see if it works for them,
and regardless of success or not - they can post their results here, along with details of the computer set-up they've used

If possible, please try & keep the information in a structured form, perhaps something like:

QUOTE said:
Did it work? : No
  • If NO, did ANYTHING happen ? : Started *.bat file, typed in skin name as requested, saw a quick flash of some window popup, then batch file closed
    If YES, what skin did you try it on (include links if possible) : N/A
Operating System : Windows XP Pro 32-bit + SP3
If you know it - what's your processor/memory setup : Intel E6750 with 2Gb Memory (set up as 'single channel mode')
Have you got any programming languages installed (e.g. Visual Basic/Delphi/.Net/C# etc) ?? : Yes - Delphi v4
Additional Info:
> Tried it through CMD (Command Prompt), 'Drop-&-Drag' *.skn onto 'makeskin.exe' and even through different BAT's files
> Tried it in different folders - even the root directory of c: drive, in case it was because of long path names
> Tried it on a VERY old laptop 9 a PIII Acer), that has virtually NO software installed (Just the OS & a memory manager) just in case there was a security program (Firewall/Antivirus) stopping it from running
Nothing worked
Perhaps we may find a common 'feature' that stopping some of us from running the modified makeskin

(P.S. the above example is what I'VE tried to get the blasted thing to work)

To twiztidsinz: it's for everyone - whether they got it working or not.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did it work? : No

If NO, did ANYTHING happen ? : Started *.bat file, typed in skin name as requested, saw a quick flash of some window popup, then batch file closed
If YES, what skin did you try it on (include links if possible) : Aero Ultimate (type 5)
http://filetrip.net/g25122980-Aero-Ultimat...Moonshell2.html

Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
If you know it - what's your processor/memory setup : Intel Pentium 4 550, 512x4 DDR533 Dual Channel
Have you got any programming languages installed (e.g. Visual Basic/Delphi/.Net/C# etc) ?? : Yes - Visual Studio 2008
Additional Info:
> Tried it through CMD (Command Prompt), 'Drop-&-Drag' *.skn onto 'makeskin.exe' and even through different BAT's files
> Tried it in different folders - even the root directory of c: drive, in case it was because of long path names
> Tried it on another setup with Windows 7 and it didn't work
> Tried it with AppLocal for Japanese, Korean, Simplified and Traditional Chinese

I think It's more important to find the people who CAN get it to work providing info, than those who can't.

798-Icebird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did it work? : yes
If NO, did ANYTHING happen ? :N/A
If YES, what skin did you try it on (include links if possible) :my own/default
Operating System : Windows 7Ultimate x64
If you know it - what's your processor/memory setup : Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53 Hz, 4 GB RAM
Have you got any programming languages installed (e.g. Visual Basic/Delphi/.Net/C# etc) ?? : Don't think so
unsure.gif

Additional Info:
> 'Drop-&-Drag' *.skn onto 'makeskin.exe' ,BAT's files worked
>bat file worked only when there were no spaces in the .skn name, don't type the .skn extension

--EDIT-- I use ccleaner and it cleans by startup but it just works fine

The bat opens the.exe like he makes a skin, I see all the files he extract like he shows the files he compress if he makes a skin and the windows close with a .skn file in the folder.

Have you already tried set the .exe to run as admin?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Agree ... I can now confirm that even a clean install of WinXP 32-bit Pro (as in Format C: drive & install, but NO updates, No firewall or antiviruis installed... Nothing) - & it still don't work,

And I really want it to work so that I can alter a few graphics from the Blue XMB skin that I currently use.
Why can't whoever managed to hack the makeskin.exe - make a Windows version, one that allows us to browse to a skn & unpack it

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
798-Icebird said:
Have you already tried the .exe that comes with the moonshell package?
Yes - v2.05 all the way to v2.10 (they only MAKE skins), even the modified makeskin make a skin OK - so making skins is NOT a problem

It's the Modified 'makeskin' that's the problem - it just won't unpack on either my PC or old laptop - regardless of whatever method I use
AND I don't get any messages (fault or otherwise) - just a quick flash of the window that you see when you make a skin

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
Please check this.Found that myself before reading this... Guess what IT WORKS !!!!

Many thanks to Carpfish for this....and it may also explain why the modified makeskin (on this thread) did nothing on my PC, as mine's europeon XP PC
QUOTEHis version was working greatly on several chinese windows xp but not on european windows XP. wtf.gif

After long time a searching this damn bug Carpfish at last found it. It was tied to the file name length used on some files in the skin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo