Moonshell video help me please.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by ACWWFAN, Jun 26, 2009.

Jun 26, 2009
  1. ACWWFAN
    OP

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    Ok last post I swear... So I got a url and converted it, and got like 4 different formatts, so I put the dgp one or whatever its called on my microsd and when I tried to play it I got a screen with lots of writing on it and said something bout refering to a txt doc which I couldn't find. Can someone tell me how to convert a video properly and how to get it running? Thanks.

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Some questions
    > What was the URL ?
    > How did you convert it (What program ?)
    > What were the 4 formats ?? (I'm guessing 1 was .mp3 or wav, 1 was avi, 1 was dpg - not sure what the other could be)
    > What is the EXACT wording on the screen when playback ?

Some possible answers:
    >The best way for Moonshell compatibility is to use the DPGencoder that came with Moonshell
    (If memory serves me right - you just need to start it up & drag/drop the file onto it)

I don't do a lot of video playback - but usually I use a free program called 'Super c' (the 'c' is meant to be a copyright sign) - some people think that it's brilliant others think that it's not. It's down to preference

>The extra files I think are created to 'decode' the relevant parts of the original file & then 'recode' it to DPG format

>The text message - I have seen SOME movie files display a message on playback (on a PC) about 'You need such & such movie player to play this file - visit www.xxxxxxxx to download it'.

I'm not saying every one of these is such - but it's usually a trick that get you to download a basic media player with hidden spyware/malware. It MAY play back the file (or it might just not work at all) - but you also infect your PC.

Personally if the video doesn't playback in 'Windows Media Player' or 'Media Player Classic' - I treat them with suspicion - unless the message states I need a particular CODEC (not program) in which case I do a search & see if there's been any suspicious behaviour with it

Does the original movie playback on your PC OK ?? or do you still get the same message ?

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Basically, you used an invalid DPG file. With Moonshell 2.0 in particular, videos converted with older conversion tools tend to not work well. Use the included DPGTools, or if you must use a third-party tool, make sure it uses a strict 256 pixel width.

4. ACWWFAN
    OP

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    I used the converter that came with moonshell...There was just a lot of writing on the screen, too much to copy down, I think I am going to take a video that I already have on my pc and convert it and see how that works. Thanks.

5. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There should be a file in the moonshl2 folder dubbed "logbuf.txt". The blue screen of death's text will be here.

6. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Oh, I think it was actually the temporary files that he used. I think that the process was stopped then he put them. If I was right, there should have been files that kept popping on your desktop.