MoonShell 2.10 doesn't display some characters right

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by ColdPerson, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ColdPerson
    OP

Newcomer ColdPerson Newbie

Canada
    I sent an email to Moonlight about this problem, but to be safe I want to make sure there's no way to fix it myself.

I've been getting into foreign music and put some Russian and Hebrew albums on my SD card. I was very pleased to see that every character was displayed correctly, so I assumed that Kanji would work as well, especially since Moonlight is Japanese. But some characters, specifically 疾 and 彦, are just displayed as interrogation marks in MoonShell 2.10 (it's the Child Edition and in English). Both the folder and filenames and MP3 tags show interrogation marks, so it seems that the program simply cannot display them.
    Does anybody know why that would be the case, and/or if there is any way to fix it?

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Well, I've never tried this with Russian or Hebrew in addition to Japanese, but this will probably fix the Japanese support...The quickest way for you to test if it also supports Russian and Hebrew along with Japanese is to temporarily change your default language to Japanese and check if they display correctly.
    http://gbatemp.net/t163493-moonshell-2-faq...t&p=2869248

As for why that is the case, its just to keep the size from being massive. Moonlight split the character-type languages into their own folders (tfontkor, tfonteng, tfontjpn, tfontchn) rather than put all of them into one and use up 30mb when most people only actually use one of them.