Moonshell 2.1 Final Beta

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by jurassicplayer, Feb 4, 2010.

Feb 4, 2010

Moonshell 2.1 Final Beta by jurassicplayer at 7:04 PM (12,285 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. jurassicplayer
    OP

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Oh noes!!! The final beta has arrived and moonshell2 is coming to a close after 5 years of moonlight's hard work. From what Moonlight says, the final release will be about a week from today, given there are no problems in the beta. Visit his site to see his actual words.

On the other hand, since it seems that either everyone knows about it or nobody knows about it, but there seems to be a new application (a voice recorder xD). Its in the launch folder, works wonderfully (though due to my current ds situation, I can't try out everything I can think of), and it seems to be a stand-alone voice recorder, although I haven't tried it with anything else.

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
  3. Azlan Uchiha

Member Azlan Uchiha GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    So does it means that No more moonshell till someone else do it??Awww....BTW didi anyone test it yet??n does it work with YSmenu?

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I don't think there will be anyone else doing it...
    Homebrew on the DS is kind of dying off... and Moonshell's source isn't available -- even though from what I'm to understand, Moonshell is based off another opensource project.

5. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Don't count it out just yet....For all we know Moonlight may be developing a new alternative to Moonshell - or he just want a break for a while due to other commitments

There was a time when he 'quit' development (when he got 'screwed' by M3 team - according to rumours) but then came out of 'retirement' to continue Moonshell.
    [Why?? no-one really knows]

If he does finish totally with it - he MAY let some trusted programmers the source code so that they could continue the development
    Or there may even be a totally NEW media explorer just waiting in the wings to come out - Maybe Menudo or something similar ???

6. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Moonshell 3 [​IMG]

Maybe a new Moonshell once DSi mode is available? [​IMG]

7. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    Cool, direct .DPG recording. [​IMG]

8. jurassicplayer
    OP

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Actually, I think if you just ask Moonlight for the source, he might give it (somewhere once I heard something like that...or maybe my memory is just screwing with me xD).

9. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Possibly - but Moonlight did have certain conditions, so he'll most probably only give it to 'trusted' people.
    One thing he was adamant about was 'NO Commercial ROM running' (OK - I know he did 'Sakura', but for MS 2.07 onwards he altered it to 'block' the AKAIO/YSLoader plugins) so probably he would only give out the source IF the person promises not to include ROM running - of course that's not to stop anyone else finding an exploit to get round it

10. twiztidsinz

United States
    But if what I heard is true -- that Moonshell is based off another Open Source program -- then Moonshell SHOULD be Open Source as well, no "only if you don't load commercial ROMs" etc stipulations, and you shouldn't have to beg and request the source, it should be readily available to anyone who wants it at any time.
    Of course, this really depends on the type of license that was used.

11. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Ah - But was it Moonshell 1 or Moonshell 2 based on the opensource version ??
    Perhaps it was only MS 1 that was 'opensource' based & Moonlight re-wrote some/most/all of it for MS2 making THAT version non-opensource. If so then Moonlight can stipulate whatever he likes

12. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    Moonlight made Sakura and GBalpha added in the ROM loading. At least I think it was. [​IMG] So he must not have like piracy at all.

13. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Um, no, he worked with GBalpha specifically to create a firmware that can load roms.

14. Xenon++

Member Xenon++ Taiju Yamada

Japan
    Hi I'm Xenon, who created a homebrew to make fake extlink.dat (See http://gbatemp.net/?showtopic=190959 ).

>But if what I heard is true -- that Moonshell is based off another Open Source program -- then Moonshell SHOULD be Open Source
    >as well, no "only if you don't load commercial ROMs" etc stipulations, and you shouldn't have to beg and request the source, it
    >should be readily available to anyone who wants it at any time.
    >Of course, this really depends on the type of license that was used.
    That's true. At least he uses Chishm's dlditool for DLDI autopatch.
    But as he is indicted, when I asked for Corresponding Source Code(GPL term), he said he would include the source code ID with encrypted form to pursue the archive, thus it will be assured that only trusted person have the source.
    I don't know what the "encrypted form" means, but analyzing it should be difficult.

15. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    He used gpl libraries for mp3, wav, and most image formats which means moonshell2 is technically licensed under the GPL and by not providing the source code he could be taken to court for not complying with the GPL.

16. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

anyway, wouldnt releasing the source code of moonshell2 be the best way to get back at GBalpha?

17. Pika_power

Newcomer Pika_power Newbie

New Zealand
    It doesn't really matter whether someone else picks it up or not, does it? Is there anything it lacks at the moment?

18. twiztidsinz

United States
    Commercial ROM loading.

19. Xenon++

Member Xenon++ Taiju Yamada

Japan
    MoonShell

20. boubikos

Newcomer boubikos Newbie

Aruba
    hello.

I install the moonshell 2.10 final beta and i want to know how to return to the main firmware from moonshell.

when press the the "exit to the firmware" from moonshell he told me "cannot locate DEMO.NDS"
    where i found this file?
    And Sorry for english