Completionist Themer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh noes!!! The final beta has arrived and moonshell2 is coming to a close after 5 years of moonlight's hard work. From what Moonlight says, the final release will be about a week from today, given there are no problems in the beta. Visit his site to see his actual words.

On the other hand, since it seems that either everyone knows about it or nobody knows about it, but there seems to be a new application (a voice recorder xD). Its in the launch folder, works wonderfully (though due to my current ds situation, I can't try out everything I can think of), and it seems to be a stand-alone voice recorder, although I haven't tried it with anything else.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Azlan Uchiha said:
So does it means that No more moonshell till someone else do it??Awww....BTW didi anyone test it yet??n does it work with YSmenu?
I don't think there will be anyone else doing it...
Homebrew on the DS is kind of dying off... and Moonshell's source isn't available -- even though from what I'm to understand, Moonshell is based off another opensource project.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Azlan Uchiha said:
So does it means that No more moonshell till someone else do it??
Homebrew on the DS is kind of dying off... and Moonshell's source isn't available -- even though from what I'm to understand, Moonshell is based off another opensource project.
Don't count it out just yet....For all we know Moonlight may be developing a new alternative to Moonshell - or he just want a break for a while due to other commitments

There was a time when he 'quit' development (when he got 'screwed' by M3 team - according to rumours) but then came out of 'retirement' to continue Moonshell.
[Why?? no-one really knows]

If he does finish totally with it - he MAY let some trusted programmers the source code so that they could continue the development
Or there may even be a totally NEW media explorer just waiting in the wings to come out - Maybe Menudo or something similar ???

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CannonFoddr said:
twiztidsinz said:
Azlan Uchiha said:
So does it means that No more moonshell till someone else do it??
Don't count it out just yet....For all we know Moonlight may be developing a new alternative to Moonshell - or he just want a break for a while due to other commitments

There was a time when he 'quit' development (when he got 'screwed' by M3 team - according to rumours) but then came out of 'retirement' to continue Moonshell.
[Why?? no-one really knows]

If he does finish totally with it - he MAY let some trusted programmers the source code so that they could continue the development
Or there may even be a totally NEW media explorer just waiting in the wings to come out - Maybe Menudo or something similar ???
Moonshell 3
ninja.gif

Maybe a new Moonshell once DSi mode is available?
wink.gif

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
N64Temp said:
Cool, direct .DPG recording.
tongue.gif

What is this you say, direct .dpg recording, as in recording the stuff while using the ds (or something else)?

QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Feb 5 2010, 09:33 AM) I don't think there will be anyone else doing it...

Actually, I think if you just ask Moonlight for the source, he might give it (somewhere once I heard something like that...or maybe my memory is just screwing with me xD).

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
N64Temp said:
Cool, direct .DPG recording.
tongue.gif
What is this you say, direct .dpg recording, as in recording the stuff while using the ds (or something else)? Perhaps he means direct DPG Recording while usng the DSi's camera

jurassicplayer said:
QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Feb 5 2010, 09:33 AM)
Actually, I think if you just ask Moonlight for the source, he might give it (somewhere once I heard something like that...or maybe my memory is just screwing with me xD).
Possibly - but Moonlight did have certain conditions, so he'll most probably only give it to 'trusted' people.
One thing he was adamant about was 'NO Commercial ROM running' (OK - I know he did 'Sakura', but for MS 2.07 onwards he altered it to 'block' the AKAIO/YSLoader plugins) so probably he would only give out the source IF the person promises not to include ROM running - of course that's not to stop anyone else finding an exploit to get round it

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
jurassicplayer said:
twiztidsinz said:
Possibly - but Moonlight did have certain conditions, so he'll most probably only give it to 'trusted' people.
One thing he was adamant about was 'NO Commercial ROM running' (OK - I know he did 'Sakura', but for MS 2.07 onwards he altered it to 'block' the AKAIO/YSLoader plugins) so probably he would only give out the source IF the person promises not to include ROM running - of course that's not to stop anyone else finding an exploit to get round it
But if what I heard is true -- that Moonshell is based off another Open Source program -- then Moonshell SHOULD be Open Source as well, no "only if you don't load commercial ROMs" etc stipulations, and you shouldn't have to beg and request the source, it should be readily available to anyone who wants it at any time.
Of course, this really depends on the type of license that was used.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
CannonFoddr said:
jurassicplayer said:
twiztidsinz said:
But if what I heard is true -- that Moonshell is based off another Open Source program -- then Moonshell SHOULD be Open Source as well, no "only if you don't load commercial ROMs" etc stipulations, and you shouldn't have to beg and request the source, it should be readily available to anyone who wants it at any time.
Of course, this really depends on the type of license that was used.
Ah - But was it Moonshell 1 or Moonshell 2 based on the opensource version ??
Perhaps it was only MS 1 that was 'opensource' based & Moonlight re-wrote some/most/all of it for MS2 making THAT version non-opensource. If so then Moonlight can stipulate whatever he likes

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
N64Temp said:
Moonlight made Sakura and GBalpha added in the ROM loading. At least I think it was.
unsure.gif
So he must not have like piracy at all.
Um, no, he worked with GBalpha specifically to create a firmware that can load roms.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi I'm Xenon, who created a homebrew to make fake extlink.dat (See http://gbatemp.net/?showtopic=190959 ).

>But if what I heard is true -- that Moonshell is based off another Open Source program -- then Moonshell SHOULD be Open Source
>as well, no "only if you don't load commercial ROMs" etc stipulations, and you shouldn't have to beg and request the source, it
>should be readily available to anyone who wants it at any time.
>Of course, this really depends on the type of license that was used.
That's true. At least he uses Chishm's dlditool for DLDI autopatch.
But as he is indicted, when I asked for Corresponding Source Code(GPL term), he said he would include the source code ID with encrypted form to pursue the archive, thus it will be assured that only trusted person have the source.
I don't know what the "encrypted form" means, but analyzing it should be difficult.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
He used gpl libraries for mp3, wav, and most image formats which means moonshell2 is technically licensed under the GPL and by not providing the source code he could be taken to court for not complying with the GPL.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Normmatt said:
by not providing the source code he could be taken to court for not complying with the GPL.
OK then please ask moonlight that if he continues archive pursuit system, which will prevent FREE redistribution under GPL, you tell the library authors to bring him a case. But he won't want other courts than Nintendo's.
Actually I'm so coward to do so. (in fact I'm a univ student
tongue.gif
).

twiztidsinzCommercial ROM loading.
MoonShell

boubikos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hello.

I install the moonshell 2.10 final beta and i want to know how to return to the main firmware from moonshell.

when press the the "exit to the firmware" from moonshell he told me "cannot locate DEMO.NDS"
where i found this file?
And Sorry for english

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY