Gaming Monster Rancher DS Hype Thread

Sabata

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FlashX007 said:
Right now I have Leisei or Leishu. The monster is balanced out and good but the dam thing is sensitive. I like it but if you get it just know you have to train it like hell. Anyways I wish I had wifi so I could use it I have something I want to combine but I am waiting until this monster gets old and needs to be frozen.

I've got a monster that looks like Freya from FFIX only she's wearing white, no helmet and she's got a broom rather then a spear.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
This is what people were hyped for?
rolleyes.gif

Played it for about an hour, and it's not all that exciting. Seems very outdated to me, and after coming off of DQIX, it's damned hard to stomach the presentation. The battles are kinda cool, though, and I can see the comparisons to Infinite Space. A bit too basic so far, but it's still a neat system. "Training" seems pretty lame; pick a training type, and if the monster has a musical note over its head, it's good to go; press a button, and bam, "Success!" Not much depth there.
Fo me personally, its not about the graphics and things of that nature. this game is good for many of us in the sense that it brings back alot of gaming memories for many of us

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
rolleyes.gif

Played it for about an hour, and it's not all that exciting. Seems very outdated to me, and after coming off of DQIX, it's damned hard to stomach the presentation. The battles are kinda cool, though, and I can see the comparisons to Infinite Space. A bit too basic so far, but it's still a neat system. "Training" seems pretty lame; pick a training type, and if the monster has a musical note over its head, it's good to go; press a button, and bam, "Success!" Not much depth there.

one the one hand, people complain coz games like the aforementioned DQ 9 has a ton of grinding, long storylines, etc.
so comes monster rancher, where the story is (so it would seem) very basic and the focus is in the actual fighting rather than training 2 hours for a 5 minute battle.
amn, you can't really please anyone at this rate. everyone's a friggin critic.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My very first drawing got me a golden golem thing called a Titan, but the ranch wasn't big enough to keep it.
angry.gif
Right now I'm using a wolf thing with a gigantic Power stat. In the tournaments, it doesn't hit often, but when it does it one-hits every enemy. It has yet to lose a battle. Also, drawing a Mr. Saturn gives you a panda.
moogle.gif

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raven Darkheart said:
GeekyGuy said:
rolleyes.gif

Fo me personally, its not about the graphics and things of that nature. this game is good for many of us in the sense that it brings back alot of gaming memories for many of us

This is the first Monster Rancher I've played, but it reminds me strongly of a mix of Digimon World (the original one) and bits of Pokemon without the exploration. Just for that this is worth playing for me. I know a lot of people didn't like the original Digimon World but that was the first PS1 game I actually owned and I played it to DEATH. Still love it. So despite not playing and MR games before, this feels very nostalgic.

I've already put in a few hours and crossed a couple monsters I raised for a while into a rather nice Tiger with good starting stats.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
...you can't really please anyone at this rate. everyone's a friggin critic.

Yeah, obviously offering your honest opinions about something equals hatin' on a game. If I wanted to bash this game I would have simply said, "OMG, like, this game is teh suxorz!!!!" There's nothing wrong with this game so far as I can tell. Played for a little while longer, and there's nothing in particular that's broken. It ain't great, though, that much I can say; it might be for some, and that's just fine. No need to get your panties in a wad.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah, because playing a game for an hour or so gives you a VERY good idea of the game's overall value. that's like me saying "i played pokemon for 1 hour, got through a forest full of all these weak, annoying bug types, labored to get first badge, and now i'm in a cave with these stupid rock types and geodudes who look like rocks with arms. the presentation is weak, with all these absurd number of pokemon thrown at you, and an old-school battle system to boot." i mean, give it a chance, at least. give it 5 hours at least. (the experience gets better. and when you finally get to class A and then discover your first monster is getting too old to accompany you any further, it really, really sucks)

Stuntbum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shinigami357 said:
yeah, because playing a game for an hour or so gives you a VERY good idea of the game's overall value. that's like me saying "i played pokemon for 1 hour, got through a forest full of all these weak, annoying bug types, labored to get first badge, and now i'm in a cave with these stupid rock types and geodudes who look like rocks with arms. the presentation is weak, with all these absurd number of pokemon thrown at you, and an old-school battle system to boot." i mean, give it a chance, at least. give it 5 hours at least. (the experience gets better. and when you finally get to class A and then discover your first monster is getting too old to accompany you any further, it really, really sucks)

lol coincidentally this is exactly what i did with pokemon diamond.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Stuntbum said:
Shinigami357 said:

lol coincidentally this is exactly what i did with pokemon diamond.

um... wow...

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raika said:
What, monsters can get old in this game?
wtf.gif

the guide mentioned that fatigue and stress reduces the usable years of your monster, right? (well, something like that. i paraphrased it)
it happened to me in the GBA versions (this version, by all indication, has a lot of similar gameplay mechanics). my first monster got too old just as i was prepping him for the class S tourney (or something like that, the details are fuzzy now). i worked hard to ensure my monster cruises through every tourney (by the class C tourney i could register it, and not give it any instructions and still win all matches by KO)

anyway, long story short, i had the agonizing choice of placing him in the cryogenic chamber thingy or handing him over to the training facility to become a trainer.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: Never mind, found on a site that doesn't hate me. Prepatched too. Why does it have no number? Also, is this confirmed working on Cyclo yet? Mine's being a picky bitch whenever I remove the SD card, so I'd rather not remove it unless I know I'll get something out of it.

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mobius420 said:
I was competing in the semi-final so to speak when a knock at my door led me to turn off my DS and go answer it. Turned out to just be a neighbor looking to buy some pot off me. I GUESS the 25 dollars i made was worth the previous hour and a half of my life...

now i know how to pay for original games...

CharAznable

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
EDIT: Never mind, found on a site that doesn't hate me. Prepatched too. Why does it have no number? Also, is this confirmed working on Cyclo yet? Mine's being a picky bitch whenever I remove the SD card, so I'd rather not remove it unless I know I'll get something out of it.

It's not numbered because it wasn't dumped by a scene group. Hence it's not an "official" release.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:

i believe only officially released roms (for the lack of better term; obviously you can't officially release an illegal dump of a game) are numbered by the multitudes of romsites that host them

EDIT: darn!!! someone got to it first!!! gotta remember to temper all these really long-winded explanations

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
about the aging thing... here's an excerpt form wiki:
QUOTE said:
The breeder must take it in hand to raise the monster throughout its life, training it, keeping it healthy, making an exercise schedule, and trying to maximize its abilities before it dies of old age or is retired

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Shinigami357 said:
i believe only officially released roms (for the lack of better term; obviously you can't officially release an illegal dump of a game) are numbered by the multitudes of romsites that host them

EDIT: darn!!! someone got to it first!!! gotta remember to temper all these really long-winded explanations

i do understand your concerns, but the game is working, so the results works beter as evidence than the "tradition" of the release groups

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, so far so good on my Cyclo. At the title screen with minimal fuss. What are the problem areas where I should look out for freezes, black screens, etc?

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you guys are having a REALLY hard time searching for this ROM, google is your best friend. Google this:

QUOTE said:
download free roms XXXX Monster Rancher DS Rom

It should be the first result ;0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1