ModMii Type Program for DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Prior22, May 30, 2011.

May 30, 2011

ModMii Type Program for DS by Prior22 at 5:18 AM (886 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Prior22
    OP

Member Prior22 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm considering buying a DS Lite, as a I recently was hired for a night job that will leave me with a decent amount of free time between tasks. Anyways I remembered how easy the ModMii program made softmodding the Wii. I was just curious whether or not a program like this exists for DS in order to softmod. And if not whats the easiest way to go about softmodding. Thanks.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  3. iluvfupaburgers

Member iluvfupaburgers FUPA Luva

Ecuador
    there is no softmodding for ds. but to hack the ds, you simply need to buy a flashcart and a micro sd card. the best flashcarts out there are the acekard 2i, the supercard dstwo

4. Prior22
    OP

United States
  5. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    The EZ 3in1 is your best bet for a slot 2, and the SuperCard DS2 is the best slot-1.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I like the EZ Flash 3-in-1.
    It includes :
    - Extra ram pack for DS applications (web browser)
    - Vibration, for compatible games (metroid pinball, etc.)
    - GBA flash/NOR

It works with a lot of Slot-1 cards, either with an additional homebrew (gbaexploader) or natively from the slot1 firmware.
    I prefer using the gbaexploader, there are more options.

It exists in DSphat and DSlite format.

Another cards can be real GBA flashcards, like the EZ flash IV.
    or you can check the gba flashcard reviews.
    But older card needed rom patching program, linker's program, worked with LPT cable that current computer don't have.

Your best choice is the 3-in-1 [​IMG]
    The DSlite is used as the linker: You put your rom on the DS Slot1 flashcard, and the DS homebrew (gbaexploader) is used to transfer the GBA rom to the slot2 card at launch. You never need to remove it from your console.
    the saves are stored on your slot1 (but you need to launch gbaexploader again to transfer the save from sram to slot1 after playing GBA).

7. Prior22
    OP

United States
    I did a little more research and came back with the Supercard DSTWO. If my main goals are to play DS and GBA games would the DSTwo be preferable to an EZ 3 in 1 + EZflash Vi combo? I've also read problems about the DSTwo build quality. Is this an issue the EZ combo wouldn't have?

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    You don't have to use an EZFlash VI with the EZFlash 3-in-1. You can use any slot-1 card (Acekard 2i, DSTT, pathetic R4 clone, Cyclo DS, Supercard DS ONE etc.), many of which are better than the EZFlash VI. I believe Acekard 2i is the best card which doesn't have an on-board processor (which the DS TWO does), or the DS ONE is also worth considering I think.

I have no heard reports of poor build quality with DS TWO specificially, but this is generally the case with almost all flashcards (they are generally made cheaply in China, so build quality usually suffers). So I wouldn't think the EZFlash VI would be any better.

One advantage of the Slot-1 card + EZFlash 3-in-1 is it is most likely a little bit cheaper. However, SC DS TWO probably isn't THAT much more expensive, and it has some added extras you might like. Seeing as it has a GBA emulator rather than playing them natively, you get extra features like cheats and probably Real Time Save. DS Two also has RTS as well as Real TIme Guide (allowing you to read text files in game) and cheat creation functions when playing NDS games, which I don't think many/any other cards have all of.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The emulation is not perfect and not always fullspeed, though.

10. Prior22
    OP

United States
    Realistically though would I obtain a smoother GBA gameplay experience from a two in one combo, or from the Supercard.

11. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    A slot-1 card and an EZFlash 3-in-1 give PERFECT GBA gameplay, because they use the DS's proper GBA hardware.