• No.

Votes: 13 8.8%

• Total voters

madmax23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i've not been on the wii hacking scene since hacking my wii with the twighlight hack. I'm sorting my brothers wii and am going to follow this guide which is excellent . I've looked through as many pages as i could before my head has started to hurt but can't find if it is easier to update the wii officially to 4.2 then follow the MODIFY 4.2 part of the instuctions or does that not work? His wii is on 3.4e and from what i understand in the instuctions i should first update to 4.2 then use the Modify 4.2 section. Any help will be much appreciated! And thanks alot for everyone who takes the time to help us newbies!!

Dragoon709

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
madmax23 said:
Hi, i've not been on the wii hacking scene since hacking my wii with the twighlight hack. I'm sorting my brothers wii and am going to follow this guide which is excellent . I've looked through as many pages as i could before my head has started to hurt but can't find if it is easier to update the wii officially to 4.2 then follow the MODIFY 4.2 part of the instuctions or does that not work? His wii is on 3.4e and from what i understand in the instuctions i should first update to 4.2 then use the Modify 4.2 section. Any help will be much appreciated! And thanks alot for everyone who takes the time to help us newbies!!

I'd also like to know because I am on 4.0 or 4.1 (don't remember which) softmodded, would like to know if it would be okay to officially update or should I d/l the Waninkoko update and then follow this guide. From what I understand the official update only removes any modified IOSes and deletes the HBC so in effect it would then be almost like a virgin Wii.

xdsmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragoon709 said:
madmax23 said:

I'd also like to know because I am on 4.0 or 4.1 (don't remember which) softmodded, would like to know if it would be okay to officially update or should I d/l the Waninkoko update and then follow this guide. From what I understand the official update only removes any modified IOSes and deletes the HBC so in effect it would then be almost like a virgin Wii.

yeah, me 3... is there a difference between manually upating and updating through wii system menu? And if so, then what? Also, want someone to please confirm if using the system menu update would brick the wii, or would it simply replace the revised ios's with the official ones. Please someone help!! My wii is messed up somehow and i want to restore it but accidently replaced my nand backup with a friend's when i modded his wii. THANKS GUYS.
lecture.gif

xdsmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GUYS. i need your help. i have a wii that i think might be semi bricked. i can use usb loaders, emulators, and load games and play them fine. I just all of a sudden cannot rip games and if i leave the usb loader on for like 2 minutes it will freeze up. i was using usbloadergx so i thought it was a problem with that loader so i downloaded wanikoko's usbloader, and same thing, except his doesn't freeze, it gives me a code dump error.

I think the problem came from downloading aps from homebrew browser, but i'm not sure because this actually
happened after a friend gave me like 20+ games to add to my collection. his drive was formatted wbfs and his games were isos my drive is formatted fat32 and my games are in .wbfs format inside the wbfs folder. So i used wbfsmanager to select the game isos from his drive and converted all his isos into wbfs format then added them to my drive.

None of his games worked while mine still did. and this is when the whole problem started. as a matter of fact, the pointer on usbloadergx turned from a hand with pointer finger pointing to a hand with pointer finger pointing and pinky finger up. Have you ever seen this????? once i got the weird pointer hand, seconds later the wii would freeze up.

I deleted all of his games from my drive, but both usbloader and usbloadergx are still freezing/giving code dumps. Weird huh? Any ideas of what the root of the problem could be??? being that the loader freezes up after 2 minutes would explain why i can't rip games anymore because it freezes before game can finish ripping.

Is my wii semi bricked? I lost my nand backup, so i cannot nand restore. So i just wanna know if it would be safe to remod with this new guide without doing nand backup and if this problem has ever happened to anyone else.

My wii was softmodded using bannerbomb, then with this guide dated december 2009. Worked like a charm. Many thanks dude.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question! Just finished the basic install of the HBC and other stuff from the Complete Soft Mod Guide, and was wondering if my wii is currently Version 3.2 U, do i need to still re-install (Or activate) the Trucha Bug?

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if i wanted to run backups right now i'd be fine for doing that? (Just curious), planning to update either way, the process seems so confusing after the basic part @_@.

But either way, since i started as an Unmodded 3.2U Wii, i dont have to do the Trucha Bug and Stub IOS step even after updating to 4.1 or 4.2?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
it depends on how u update, if u do it via official update (off wifi or disk) it will install a non-fakesigned IOS36 and possibly stub your ios's

if u use nus auto downloader or the original nus downloader and update using wads the offline way, u can update without all the negatives from the above 'official' update

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dgwillia said:
So, if i wanted to run backups right now i'd be fine for doing that? (Just curious), planning to update either way, the process seems so confusing after the basic part @_@.
But either way, since i started as an Unmodded 3.2U Wii, i dont have to do the Trucha Bug and Stub IOS step even after updating to 4.1 or 4.2?
XFlak said:
it depends on how u update, if u do it via official update (off wifi or disk) it will install a non-fakesigned IOS36 and possibly stub your ios's
if u use nus auto downloader or the original nus downloader and update using wads the offline way, u can update without all the negatives from the above 'official' update
It's really not that confusing at all. If it does seem confusing skip the update.zip, do the Nintendo update to 4.2, and then do the modify.zip.
Installing the Trucha Bug and removing the stub IOSes is really quick and easy.
Run MMM [Multi-Mod Manager]
Go down to select Install & Patch IOS36.
Choose Express Mode.
Go down to select Remove stubbed IOSs.
Press A everytime it finds a stub.
Go up and choose WAD manager.
Press 1 to select all the WAD's then A to install them.
Press any button to return to the main menu.
This part takes literally less than a minute to do.

S3xii Lexii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I did something really crazy and I need some help. I have like a bunch of pictures and important stuff on my external, but I accidentally formatted it to wbfs with wbfs manager. !!!
is there any way to retreive my pics and stuff???
Thanks guys
unsure.gif

NoOutlet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a new Wii from a store. I updated as soon as I got home assuming that I'd still be able to softmod easily(I've modded a Wii before).
Then I found out how different it is from when I was using Backup Launcher Gamma v3 and I'm a bit confused with all the cMIOSes and where to find files and stuff especially since there are still so many sites with outdated info. Finally, I came across your guide which lays it all out in one place and doesn't inexplicably neglect to mention requirements.

However, before I found this guide, I was able to install The Homebrew Channel and DVDX via Smash Stack.

Now, I'm wondering if I have to do the steps in the Update 4.2 section? I mean, I'm definitely already on 4.2, but I haven't done anything like this stuff:
QUOTE said:
Run Yet Another WAD Manager Mod from The Homebrew Channel.
Scroll down the list to find & install:
IOS70-64-v6687.wad
& System Menu-NUS-v481.wad [NTSC-J = v480; PAL = v482]
Then proceed to install the remaining 22 different IOS files & Shopping Channel-NUS-v18.wad by pressing + on each one then 1 to install them. It should say 23 files will be installed.

So, should I transfer my saves to an SD and format my Wii and then start from there with the Update to 4.2 stuff?

I've decided to just do the modify portion. But I have some questions and I'm not sure how to search for the answers.
1) In the guide it says to backup the Bootmii folder, NAND.bin and keys.bin and then erase from the SD. It sounds like you mean for us to erase the Bootmii folder, but doesn't BootMii need that on the SD in order to run? Is there a reason to delete it? Did you mean for us to just backup the Bootmii folder but backup and erase the NAND and keys?
2) I'm at the step where I press 1 to install all the IOS wads. There are hidden files on the SD card with "._" before the filename. I imagine I shouldn't attempt to install those. It might be good to mention them in the guide.

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
I just finished soft modding my Wii, everything seems ok at the moment but everytime i put in a normal Wii game it says it needs a system update in order to run the game?

How do i just run the game normally?

Richardarkless

Trophies
XP
Country
Giangsta said:
I just finished soft modding my Wii, everything seems ok at the moment but everytime i put in a normal Wii game it says it needs a system update in order to run the game?

I wasnt sure what to do on that bit either so I used startpatch from here

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/sy...acks/Startpatch

1. download the app and stick it on the sd card in the apps folder
2. go to homebrew channel and click the app
3. press a for each of the patches that you want to enable, the ones with multiple ones (1/1, 1/2, etc) you will need to apply all of them for that patch to work
4. go down to save and it will start to apply the selected patches, should take a mattter of seconds

here is a list of what each patch does

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/StartPatch#Features_Of_v4.2.x

S3xii Lexii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giangsta said:

All you really need to do is install preloader, and when you do, your console will boot up with a white screen.

From here you need to configure your settings in preloader so that you block disc updates,
voila you no longer will have a disc asking you for your updates.

btw has anyone figured out how to recover a wrongly partitioned hard drive with wbfs manager???
wub.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
S3xii Lexii said:
btw has anyone figured out how to recover a wrongly partitioned hard drive with wbfs manager???
wub.gif

check out Wiimms WBFS Tool

QUOTECheck and repair WBFS archives.
The wwt command CHECK checks a WBFS for block assigning errors. Repairing is also possible. Details:

* Find discs with invalid blocks.
* Find discs with no valid blocks.
* Find discs which uses same blocks.
* Find free blocks that marked as used.
* Find used blocks that marked as free.
* Remove discs with errors.
* Repair wrong marked blocks.
* Repair times stamps.

The check is very fast. The wwt commands ADD, UPDATE, EXTRACT, REMOVE, TRUNCATE and TOUCH do an automatic check before modifying the WBFS file and print a warning if the check fails.

but if u were asking how to get back data that was on a fat32 hard drive that was accidentally formatted to wbfs... i dont think this will help u... this will help if u want to recover/repair data off a wbfs partition

kotsoulis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have no idea how to find update.zip im searching for around 2 houers now,so any help would be apreciated.
i have send an email around 6 houers ago and still no answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1