• Total voters

ilhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hi,

as im gonna buy a new Wii us.

i have alot questions and these are some.

just wanna make sure that this guide is not outdated. as i dunno what version my wii will be version 4.2?

and im afraid to brick my wii as i wanna do it manually.

i wanna soft mod it and play using a external harddisk

just wanna find out from you guys that

a) is the completesofmod guide still works regardless of 3.2,4.1 or 4.2? (new or old wii)?

b) bannerbomb , HBC, bootmii (to prevent bricks), waninkokos cios 249 and 250, hermes cios 202, 222 and 223, preloader and usb loader gx.
may i know above programs, is it a must to install all of these? and also install both waninkokos and hermes cios together?
and i heard there's new version of waninkokos rev 20 and hermes v5 thingy. so wat should i install?

c) must my sd card be of sdhc? and i heard the sd card is best to have 2gb n below to work nicely. is it true?

and what else do i need other than these? can somebody kindly enlighten me.
smile.gif

appreciate your effort to answer my questions!

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ilhappy said:
hi,

just wanna make sure that this guide is not outdated. as i dunno what version my wii will be version 4.2?

a) is the completesofmod guide still works regardless of 3.2,4.1 or 4.2? (new or old wii)?

b) bannerbomb , HBC, bootmii (to prevent bricks), waninkokos cios 249 and 250, hermes cios 202, 222 and 223, preloader and usb loader gx.
may i know above programs, is it a must to install all of these? and also install both waninkokos and hermes cios together?
and i heard there's new version of waninkokos rev 20 and hermes v5 thingy. so wat should i install?

c) must my sd card be of sdhc? and i heard the sd card is best to have 2gb n below to work nicely. is it true?

smile.gif

Xzxero updates the guide as new stuff comes out; it's still current. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't skip steps

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a little question. Rockstar told me to just install Cios REV 18. Should I install that or all off those wads that you gave in the wad folder?

ilhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
tattar8 said:
ilhappy said:
hi,

smile.gif

Xzxero updates the guide as new stuff comes out; it's still current. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't skip steps

thanks for the reply.
but i have another enquires.

i read that you need a sd card to perform these task.
is it possible that i use a HDD storage instead of the SD card to perform these task?
and also use this HDD to store all my wii games inside?

theostler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
xzxero, you are a star, sir!

Thanks for this guide. Modded my own and a workmate's Wii's with this and it all went flawlessly.

Only probs, and this is nothing to to with the guide in any way, is the fact that (using USB Loader GX) I can't get GH5 to see the GH shop or use my downloaded DLC and RockBand2 forces me to continually re-download my DLC.

I can use both without probs from my backup discs so no great problem, it would just have been nice to use USB for both. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Again, this is nothing to do with your (fantastic) guide.

I salute you.

brett668

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello ive folled your guide to the letter and was all going fine but just downloaded neogamma to my sd card went on homebrew to install it and it all crashed just turned it back on and it just comes up with 4.2 (eur) and thats it please tell me i havent f++ed my wii up
can any1 help PLEASE
brett

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
brett668 said:
hello ive folled your guide to the letter and was all going fine but just downloaded neogamma to my sd card went on homebrew to install it and it all crashed just turned it back on and it just comes up with 4.2 (eur) and thats it please tell me i havent f++ed my wii up
can any1 help PLEASE
brett
you enabled all the hacks in priiloader disable the recovery mode hack

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a little question. Rockstar told me to just install Cios REV 18. Should I install that or all off those wads that you gave in the wad folder?

Doctair

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jakob95 said:

REV 18 was already replaced by REV 19 and 20 is on its way...

Not all loaders and homebew apps have been fully updated to support R18/19 yet so I would stick with the guides REV 17 for now and just simply follow the guide step by step...

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
theostler said:
xzxero, you are a star, sir!

Thanks for this guide. Modded my own and a workmate's Wii's with this and it all went flawlessly.

Only probs, and this is nothing to to with the guide in any way, is the fact that (using USB Loader GX) I can't get GH5 to see the GH shop or use my downloaded DLC and RockBand2 forces me to continually re-download my DLC.

I can use both without probs from my backup discs so no great problem, it would just have been nice to use USB for both. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Again, this is nothing to do with your (fantastic) guide.

I salute you.
It's a known problem that DLC for music games (GH and RB) don't work well with USB loaders. Supposedly 249 rev19 base 37 or hermes v5 base 37 might work.

moonbeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys. Absolute newbie here to forums and to wii softmods.

You guys have the patience of saints dealing with us newbies all the time! I promise you I have read pages and pages of posts but I cannot find anything that relates to what I have done. Sorry!

I was on a virgin 4.0E and followed your guide from the basics to trucha to update version. I did not upgrade to 4.2E prior to doing the trucha bug. Would have been easier I think if I had. Got to the update version section where it says:

If you are Using YAWMM, you can hold + for 2 seconds to select all wads in the folder.
After you installed all those IOS and channel wads, press Home to return to the HBC.

When I opened YAWMM it asked me what IOS did I want to use. Wasn't sure so exited out of the program and started reading and reading and reading posts to see if I could find which one to use. In my readings a lot of responses was to upgrade legimitely via Nintendo so my aim was to update to 4.2E that way and then start over, which I did. My homebrew channel was still there after the upgrade but I didn't want to go into it unless something happened, so I just started at the beginning again. Was successful at the bannerbomb step, could only install bootmii as IOS. Then went on to the trucha bug section. Got to:

Select "Install IOS36 (r3351) w/FakeSign" (Go down once). Press A to continue.
It will ask you if you are sure that you want to continue, so press A again.

If the wii crashes (gives a code dump) for one of the following steps (2a - c), hold the Power button till the wii shuts down. Then reboot it, launch DOP-Mii and start again from 2a.

and guess what, it did crash. It had said downgrading IOS15 and I toggled the arrows to point to the SD card, doing offline method by the way and that is where the crash ocurred. I then followed your instructions to hold the power button down, launched DOP-Mii to start again at 2(a) but as I was in the installIOS36 w/FakeSign when it crashed I didn't know whether to go back into that step again. I know that is not step 2(a) but I didn't know what else to do to get the option to read from sd card again. I did go back in there and was presented with:

reloading IOS15 (V257)
Restoring IOS36 to V3351
Apply ES_Identify patch to IOS36?

Where to from here?
Did the update to 4.2E not wipe out the trucha bug section from when I did it the first time when I was on 4.0E?
Is it possibly a problem reading the SD card? I used the same one I did when I did it in 4.0E and it is formatted to FAT32.

Your help would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: Slept on it overnight. Started again from step 2© not 2(a). All good. Great forum, very informative.

UPDATE: Meant 2b) not 2a). Fat fingers!!!

bspline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi people,
thanks to all for the effort of writing such an easy guide to an otherwise involved process.

I'm new to Wii, having bought a new console (factory 4.2U) and the main user here is my 4-year old. That said, is there a good and simple USB-loader setup that can be operated by my son?
Thanks!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
any usb loader would work fine (although I don't know if a 4-year old could figure any of them out without help)... but I would make sure u set up parental controls, so that u restrict ur son from deleting games (this can be done via the usb loader)

also, u may want to put any homebrew that has brick potential (ie. any title deleter) in a password protected categorii folder, so ur son can't access them from the HBC

bspline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
xflak40 said:
any usb loader would work fine (although I don't know if a 4-year old could figure any of them out without help)... but I would make sure u set up parental controls, so that u restrict ur son from deleting games (this can be done via the usb loader)

also, u may want to put any homebrew that has brick potential (ie. any title deleter) in a password protected categorii folder, so ur son can't access them from the HBC
Xflak, thanks for the tips. Though I'm an old gamer, all this console stuff is pretty new for me. What I meant with "easy" was that is there any loader that lets you set up the games as "channels" on the Wii menu?
Also, is it easy (for me, not my son) to revert the mods and get a clean firmware?

Thanks again!

BigNastyCurve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my wii hacked for a long long time but figured it was time to move from 4.1 to 4.2U - following the upgrade guide I've installed IOS70 and the System menu, but now I'm having a problem installing the rest of the IOS - I can't see the cursor at the top of the list, so I just blindly hit + and then down on the directional pad until I could see it again - but when I do that and NOT select IOS70 and the System menu then it tells me I'm going to install 24 files instead of 22. What should I do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure why, every other N64 game just runs fine with all kinds of enhancements but noooo KI...