Votes: 13 8.8%

• Total voters

kcptje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hey,
im using a wii 3.2 with the gammaloader... but my mother gave me a few original games (like marvel super hero squad) but to play these i haave to update...
can i use ypou guide to udpate to 4.2 (and later back to 4.1) without harming my wii?
thank you

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kcptje said:
hey,
im using a wii 3.2 with the gammaloader... but my mother gave me a few original games (like marvel super hero squad) but to play these i haave to update...
can i use ypou guide to udpate to 4.2 (and later back to 4.1) without harming my wii?
thank you
this works on any wii, any version.

Gamerr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"try the other USB port",

I did that, I tried both ports, with two USB sticks (Emtec,Sandisk), I also tried before power on, and after power on I have tried all of this stuff,
it stay giving me with GX loader: "Waiting for your slow USB" and then it returns to the wii menu, and with NeoGamma: "tries left to mount USB" and after 30sec it returns to the NeoGamma menu.

I have tried all the stuff above but nothing works, by the way I didn't see anyone until now with this error.
Is this error solvable?

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gamerr said:

I did that, I tried both ports, with two USB sticks (Emtec,Sandisk), I also tried before power on, and after power on I have tried all of this stuff,
it stay giving me with GX loader: "Waiting for your slow USB" and then it returns to the wii menu, and with NeoGamma: "tries left to mount USB" and after 30sec it returns to the NeoGamma menu.

I have tried all the stuff above but nothing works, by the way I didn't see anyone until now with this error.
Is this error solvable?
yea, most likely your usb is not supported
try using the FAT partition instead

shaka_adim said:
QUOTE(xzxero @ Nov 22 2009, 06:08 PM) you using cIOS rev15?

yes, i am
is this the issue?
yea read the top of the OP about rev15 please

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gamerr said:

Is this error solvable?
Since you have 2 usb devices, can you try putting them both in at the same time (I mean one in each port)
Some people got it to work like that

Gamerr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"yea, most likely your usb is not supported
try using the FAT partition instead"

I set it to FAT but now both the GX and the NeoGamma are not loading!
(Really annoying, after hacking the Wii, and now I got USB troubles)

By the way when I set it to FAT I can't use WBFS manager anymore to put games on the USB stick.

In which section should I place this trouble in this forum?

Again thanks for this great tutorial.

Posts merged

tj_cool said:
Gamerr said:

Is this error solvable?
Since you have 2 usb devices, can you try putting them both in at the same time (I mean one in each port)
Some people got it to work like that

Hmm thanks for the advice I will try that

shaka_adim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
xzxero said:

yeah.. i feel stupid not noticing the info.. was blinded by the disire to play new mario ;P
so.. now i have rev14 and boy and his blob works on neogamma but not in disk channel (unable to read disk),
but that's probably due it ntsc (my wii is european) as chocobo dungeon (also ntsc) isn't recognised either.
still i'm preety sure boy and his blob worked on disk channel earlier (did't play it much so i might be wrong).
not much of a problem for me but it would be nice to know if there is a possibility to make disk channel recognise it again

still, thanks for your help and great tut!

Minus83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, im new here, just found this site through a google search.

My issue:

Ive been trying to play some games, and my Wii stopped reading the disks, seemingly out of the blue.

Also, my cousin had taken my SD card from the wii, deleted everything, and put pictures on it. I dont know if that would cause the Wii to stop playing games, but it will no longer read back ups.

Fast forward to today, i find this thread and decide to follow the instructions on my already Twilight hacked Wii.

Fast forward to now, my wii turns on, but nothing comes up on the screen, lol.

buy new wii i guess?

I got through the first part of the instructions, to update to 4.2, everything in the "updating your wii" section went fine, but from WAD manager it said it was restarting, but it just sat there, i left it for a half hour, no change, the wii would no longer recognize the wiimote, so i restarted it, now the wii will turn on, the slot flickers, the power light is green, it makes sounds like its trying to read a disk, but there is no video on the screen.

can anyone help? or did i screw myself, lol, well, im sure i did, but is there anything i can do? or should / shouldnt have done?

Cyman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boobi_shabang said:
Cyman said:
Hey everyone, first off, thanks for that guide, even though I haven't tried it out yet, but here comes why.
I am totally confused about what I need to install or do with my already softmodded 3.2 Wii.
Since I haven't done anything regarding hacking on my console for months, I am not up to date, even though I followed the news, releases etc.
What I wonder about is if I can stick with 3.2 firmware or if now there is no point in that anymore since there are no disadvantages/drawbacks in updating to 4.2 (like not being able to run this or that).
When I first softmodded my console, I used the Twilight Hack which, I know, doesn't work with the newer firmware versions anymore. But I see, there are a couple of other exploits which basically seem to do the same thing.
Anyway, I would like to know if I can simply update the installed homebrew apps, backup launchers etc. (so far I haven't installed any of the USB/SD launchers - I am still on the old NeoGamma and SoftChip releases) or if it is necessary to go back to a virgin console (if so, how is the easiest way to get rid of all installed software and traces?) and start over with the softmodding?
I am just curious if there is any risk of bricking my Wii from updating to the latest homebrew apps, softmod method and firmware or if I need to be on 4.2 in order to play the latest games on my softmodded console, because I've seen that there are also more sophisticated solutions from big N in order to prevent playing backups like the NSMBWii shows.
So it would be really cool if someone could enlighten me and tell me what I need to do and what's not necessary for me to be up to date again with softmodding.
Thanks in advance, guys!

I came back to the Wii Hacking scene a few weeks back in pretty much the same senario as yourself, i'd previously been on 3.2e with HBC, preloader 0.26, CiosCORPS etc from the Softmii days (sorry to mention that name on here
tongue.gif
) so i followed this guide step by step and am now happily on 4.2e with all the latest Homebrew this excellent guide has to offer, as for the update part i did the online Ninty update (not always advised but i had no issues) and i've had no issues, i've even done it with 2 friends Wii's in the same way and so far so good, for the latest releases id recommend this upgrade!

Thanks for that quick answer first of all. So I tried to update my Wii today, but it seems like there is some problem. Already after installing the new HBC, Softmii and DVDx which all worked fine with the bannerbomb trick, the HBC starts up but doesn't load anything at all so that I can't start the WAD Manager and go on with the modding procedure according to the tutorial.
I wonder why this happens and if I can just use another of my SD cards where I still have all the data and homebrew apps on it, with an older version of the HBC or if I need to find another solution.
I will give it a try later and report back, if it worked or not. I hope someone can tell me, why this happens or if this also happened to someone else.

jaykop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no they both have never had cioscorp installed and if they did what damage would it do to the wii and what is the best why to update if they had cioscorp thanx for your advice

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TeenTin said:
xzxero said:
TeenTin said:
When doing 4.2 to 4.1 downgrade, is the IOS60-64-v6174.wad a patched ISO60 ?
no, you can use dop-ios to ES-identify and trucha patch it

I would love this guide to be totally offline. Would you please make the wad ?

Thanks !
well it is, just that if you downgrade to 4.1 then that IOS60 is not patched.

isee where your coming from though, imight give a quick update

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shaka_adim said:
xzxero said:

yeah.. i feel stupid not noticing the info.. was blinded by the disire to play new mario ;P
so.. now i have rev14 and boy and his blob works on neogamma but not in disk channel (unable to read disk),
but that's probably due it ntsc (my wii is european) as chocobo dungeon (also ntsc) isn't recognised either.
still i'm preety sure boy and his blob worked on disk channel earlier (did't play it much so i might be wrong).
not much of a problem for me but it would be nice to know if there is a possibility to make disk channel recognise it again

still, thanks for your help and great tut!

downgrading to 4.1 then activating region free hacks should make it work

QUOTE(Minus83 @ Nov 22 2009, 01:23 PM)

My issue:

Ive been trying to play some games, and my Wii stopped reading the disks, seemingly out of the blue.

Also, my cousin had taken my SD card from the wii, deleted everything, and put pictures on it. I dont know if that would cause the Wii to stop playing games, but it will no longer read back ups.

Fast forward to today, i find this thread and decide to follow the instructions on my already Twilight hacked Wii.

buy new wii i guess?

I got through the first part of the instructions, to update to 4.2, everything in the "updating your wii" section went fine, but from WAD manager it said it was restarting, but it just sat there, i left it for a half hour, no change, the wii would no longer recognize the wiimote, so i restarted it, now the wii will turn on, the slot flickers, the power light is green, it makes sounds like its trying to read a disk, but there is no video on the screen.

can anyone help? or did i screw myself, lol, well, im sure i did, but is there anything i can do? or should / shouldnt have done?
soundslike a full brick

in what order did you install those wads?

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
xzxero said:
TeenTin said:
xzxero said:
TeenTin said:
When doing 4.2 to 4.1 downgrade, is the IOS60-64-v6174.wad a patched ISO60 ?
no, you can use dop-ios to ES-identify and trucha patch it

I would love this guide to be totally offline. Would you please make the wad ?

Thanks !
well it is, just that if you downgrade to 4.1 then that IOS60 is not patched.

isee where your coming from though, imight give a quick update

Thanks for the quick response. Another question, while modding, I know why it is necessary to reinstall HBC, but I don't know why it is necessary to reinstall Bootmii (as stated in the guide). Would you please explain ? Thanks !

pesaroso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

Thanks for this awesome guide, a quick question;

If I have a wiikey v1 chip, and just want to play GH5 and SMBW, do I still have to do all of this, including the cIOS thingy? Or can I just install the IOS's, and run it through i.e. Gecko?

Cheers!

Minus83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xzxero said:
Minus83 said:

My issue:

buy new wii i guess?

soundslike a full brick

I did IOS70-64-v6687.wad, and then the one below that, because i didnt see System Menu-NUS-v481.wad, it just wasnt in the list, so i assumed it could be that one, then i started at the top, and did the rest of them, each one said it finished, then id do the next one, and the next, untill i had done every one, then when i went to quit, it said it was restarting the wii, and it just never restarted, it sat on that screen for about a half an hour before i had to unplug it, even holding the button wouldnt work.

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
OK sorry for these probably obvious and answered a million times questions but I just cant seem to find them.

1. In the manual 4.2 upgrade Is the IOS70 patched so I can install Priiloader??
2. In the 4.2 safe update program after it finishes do I have to manually patch the IOS 70 before I can install priiloader??

Again Sorry for the questions

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Minus83 said:
xzxero said:
Minus83 said:

My issue:

buy new wii i guess?

soundslike a full brick

I did IOS70-64-v6687.wad, and then the one below that, because i didnt see System Menu-NUS-v481.wad, it just wasnt in the list, so i assumed it could be that one, then i started at the top, and did the rest of them, each one said it finished, then id do the next one, and the next, untill i had done every one, then when i went to quit, it said it was restarting the wii, and it just never restarted, it sat on that screen for about a half an hour before i had to unplug it, even holding the button wouldnt work.
nope thats a big uh oh
were you using the update.zip or modify.zip???

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work