roup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
roup said:
upgrading from 3.2U to 4.1......stuck on step one!

"Run bannerbomb by going to the SD Card menu and choosing yes to load boot.dol
This runs the Hackmii Installer from which you should install the Homebrew Channel, DVDX, and Bootmii as IOS and boot2 if possible."

How do you get to "SD Card menu"? Also the folder has boot.elf not .dol as stated above...does this matter.
Uh oh, xzxero made a mistake there
the old guide (3.x to 4.1) should use the old bannerbomb, cause SD card menu is only for 4.0 and up! (so doesn't work on below 4.0)

you can find the old one here
instead of SD menu, go to data management and then to channels > SD card

Thanks Tj_cool. I emailed simplemod for the zip package for upgrading 3.X to 4.1. Are you saying the bannerbomb in this package will not work?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
roup said:
Thanks Tj_cool. I emailed simplemod for the zip package for upgrading 3.X to 4.1. Are you saying the bannerbomb in this package will not work?
I haven't gotten the time to download the pack myself yet
But the one I gave should work

ydhuldhoya

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi, one of the FAQ responses:

Bannerbomb freezes/does not work on me everytime.
Update through the settings and try again.

I'm facing this problem despite trying all the v1 version since I'm onb 4.0U. Also I'm unable to run anything from HBC since it freezes as well. You've indicated to "update through settings and try". Which settings need to be used to update? Thanks.

roup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
roup said:
I haven't gotten the time to download the pack myself yet
But the one I gave should work

I went to the link you sent and have downloaded and unzipped the packages per the instructions. I renamed the "private" folder that was on my card (from the package I requested from simplemod).

From the steps on the link you sent (shown below) there is no "installer.elf" but rather a boot.elf in the "hackmii_installer_v06" directory. Since I already have HBC can I just run this boot.elf from HBC channel?

# Go download the HackMii installer. Copy installer.elf to the root of the SD card, and rename it to boot.elf.
# Press (Wii), Data Management, Channels, SD. Then insert the card. It should either pop up Load boot.dol/elf? or freeze.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
roup said:
I went to the link you sent and have downloaded and unzipped the packages per the instructions. I renamed the "private" folder that was on my card (from the package I requested from simplemod).

From the steps on the link you sent (shown below) there is no "installer.elf" but rather a boot.elf in the "hackmii_installer_v06" directory. Since I already have HBC can I just run this boot.elf from HBC channel?

# Go download the HackMii installer. Copy installer.elf to the root of the SD card, and rename it to boot.elf.
# Press (Wii), Data Management, Channels, SD. Then insert the card. It should either pop up Load boot.dol/elf? or freeze.
If you want bootmii, run the boot.elf with the HBC
else, start with the actual step 1 below

roup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
roup said:

OK looks like I'm in business. Making a NAND backup right now. Thanks for the the help.

Posts merged

tj_cool said:
QUOTE(roup @ Oct 9 2009, 10:23 PM)

OK looks like I'm in business. Making a NAND backup right now. Thanks for the the help.

roup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where does the NAND backup get stored?

When it completed I had a directory "Bootmii" which had 3 files, armboot.bin, bootmii.ini and ppcboot.elf. None of the three are more than 200kb. Is this typical and all that's required for a successful backup?

roup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dsixteen said:
dsixteen said:
dsixteen said:
first i've updated my wii via Waninkoko's updater from 3.3e to 4.0e than 4.1e. than followed instructions.

it was fine till step
3] Run Dop-IOS MOD
Choose IOS249 and press A.

ios249 is not there. shall i skip this step and keep going. there is ios249 @step4

4] Run Wad Manager [this step can be skipped if already on 4.1]
When it opens choose use IOS249. (it is probably already set to that)

@xzxero
do you have an idea about my issue. i've skipped 3] Run Dop-IOS MOD thing and completed rest. it looks ok now.

I'm having the same problem...it's 249 is not there to select....should I also skip this....if so, do I come back to this step? Not sure how to proceed. Can someone help?

Okami Wolfen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have BootMii installed as an IOS?

EDIT: So what files can I delete off my SD card without my GC Backup Loader not working? Are all those IOS WADs still needed on there?

roup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
roup said:
dsixteen said:
dsixteen said:
dsixteen said:
first i've updated my wii via Waninkoko's updater from 3.3e to 4.0e than 4.1e. than followed instructions.

it was fine till step
3] Run Dop-IOS MOD
Choose IOS249 and press A.

ios249 is not there. shall i skip this step and keep going. there is ios249 @step4

4] Run Wad Manager [this step can be skipped if already on 4.1]
When it opens choose use IOS249. (it is probably already set to that)

@xzxero
do you have an idea about my issue. i've skipped 3] Run Dop-IOS MOD thing and completed rest. it looks ok now.

I'm having the same problem...it's 249 is not there to select....should I also skip this....if so, do I come back to this step? Not sure how to proceed. Can someone help?

OK I'm getting into a mess here. I tried skipping over Dop-IOS step and went to the wad manager step. 249 was there but I got an error -1036....anyone have a suggestion what to do next?

MrLeche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello there.

very old reader but new poster here. I've got a bit of a problem:

I have a softmodded Korean wii that has 4.0U (bought with it) but now I can't watch nintendo channel due to a 4.2 upgrade, and I wanted to have flash lite 3 too. So now the things is, the guide on the first page shows you to re-virginize your Wii by updating it to 4.2u officially. I couldn't take my chanes since my Wii is Korean. I think majority of Wii's sold in the Philippines are Korean. How do I get to update it to 4.2U but I want to virginize it first. is there a safe virginizer of some sort? (i'm not the one who softmodded my 4.0u Korean Wii).

konner920

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kso. apparently i was updated to 4.2U so thats why safe update didnt work. Im shocked my wii was working. I thought it was over heating because it wouldnt startup. It would act like it was turning on but all it did would blink blue on the drive.

mle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
For those who are already softmodded and would like to try this guide to update your cIOS and whatnot, i actually recommend to update via Nintendo to get to a virgin 4.2. I mean, when it first came out, it was not recommended at all to update, only if you wanted a headache. But know with the new updated applications it's safe to say you can easily mod 4.2 wii's now. The only thing i recommend is for cIOScorp users wanting to update to 4.2 should install a clean IOS30 via DOP-IOS to avoid any problems with the hackmii installer.

I'm currently on 3.3 virgin (unmodded). So with the this recommend, I shoud :

1) update to 4.2 directly via Nintendo
2) start at the begining of the section "4.2 Method"

Could someone confirm it please?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mle said:
QUOTE said:
For those who are already softmodded and would like to try this guide to update your cIOS and whatnot, i actually recommend to update via Nintendo to get to a virgin 4.2. I mean, when it first came out, it was not recommended at all to update, only if you wanted a headache. But know with the new updated applications it's safe to say you can easily mod 4.2 wii's now. The only thing i recommend is for cIOScorp users wanting to update to 4.2 should install a clean IOS30 via DOP-IOS to avoid any problems with the hackmii installer.

I'm currently on 3.3 virgin (unmodded). So with the this recommend, I shoud :

1) update to 4.2 directly via Nintendo
2) start at the begining of the section "4.2 Method"

Could someone confirm it please?
yes.
confirmed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: