x_sh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey y'all

I've been playing some PS2 and some Wii these past few days on a TV I got last summer and I've noticed that it seems to interpret 480p and 480I signals somewhat differently.
Progressive signals are somewhat squeezed narrower with black bars on the sides, resulting in a narrower-than-4:3 image (narrower-than-16:9 in games that support anamorphic widescreen, too). This doesn't happen on interlaced signals, though! And for some Wii games, I'm able to fix this by forcing a "PAL60" video mode, even if the TV itself reports identical input signal resolution for both it and the default video mode. As for PS2, I'll have to play around with forcing video modes via GSM, but I found this to be extremely curious.

Did anyone else ever run into anything of the sort?

My TV is a Hisense H9G, for reference.

TL;DR: 4:3 too narrow on progressive scan in 480p

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my ps2 and wii going through the framemeister. it has a 16x9 aspect ratio option, so I can get the wii to fill the screen, the ps2 almost. it's being upscaled to 1080p as well.

x_sh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I've been looking into OSSC / RetroTink x5 for a while now, I especially like RetroTink from what I've seen. Definitely beats difficult HDMI mods and third-party HDMI cables with their mediocre built-in converters.
Still, I'm curious if it's just my TV that squeezes the signal like that (but only progressive! not with interlaced), or it's a more common thing in modern TVs' picture processors.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, the only reason I bought my upscaler is due to psx and lower games. they do 240p, which most modern tvs are not compatible with anymore. I'd get a black screen without it. I'm only using a 28" screen, so the framemeister cost more than the tv. lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8