ROM Hack Discussion Modding Undertale to play GameMaker Studio 2 games is a thing. Apparently.

justinbug2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try the latest 1.4.2 release with it :P
And please, let us know if you were able to get it running on the Switch!
I did, No go. I think i know why. The Exefs files have the game.win, and renaming them simply doesnt work. and im not sure how to change this file to read data.win instead of game.win, if anyone wants pm'ed the exefs files to try. ask

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is interesting, imagine tho this is the same as lets say you had super Mario oddysea, but you swaped the game files to Mario kart, the thing is that you can't put a keyboard game onto a switch game, because the controls won't magically just work, the weird thing is if there was a game maker game that you could preload, if so I'd guess you could probably play the preload early.

Tldr: You can't play any game maker game on the switch because it wasn't developed for the switch, but there might be some coincidence where it works.
Down well works though. Perfectly aside from being handheld mode only

Attachments

• lmao.PNG
    lmao.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: ShadowOne333

Chocolate28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, finally got a reason to log back into my gbatemp account. Discoverer of the exploit here. Got a few things to say.
1. GMS1 Games work, to an extent. I tried loading undertale (the pc version) and it worked, albeit without controls.
2. For most games, you have to remove certain elements or add button controls to get them working.
3. I'm working on something like this but for unity games. Stay tuned, and know that it's all just a concept currently.
Will keep this thread updated with any major developments and/or ports. Love y'all.

update: game doesnt save. dont know how to fix this
Yeah, it doesn't save. That's a known bug and i doubt we could fix it. Also, occasionally it will wipe undertale's save.

Reactions: meohsix

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did, No go. I think i know why. The Exefs files have the game.win, and renaming them simply doesnt work. and im not sure how to change this file to read data.win instead of game.win, if anyone wants pm'ed the exefs files to try. ask

Down well works though. Perfectly aside from being handheld mode only
Just so happens that game must have a controller configuration that matches the switches, also could be possible the Dev has tested it on switch. Now it could be possible that all games made with game maker use a standard Xbox 360 control config, and it just so happens that's compatable with the switch.

Chocolate28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now it could be possible that all games made with game maker use a standard Xbox 360 control config, and it just so happens that's compatable with the switch.
This is the case I believe, though I'll have to confirm it with my friends who have ported a few of their games

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to try VA-11 HALL-A. The PC version would, unfortunately, crash the Switch.
However, an idea popped into my head. VA-11 HALL-A is on the Vita. What if I tried using that version?
To my surprise, it worked! The Vita version of VA-11 HALL-A works on the Switch. It seems to run fine. It has the same touchscreen capabilities as on the Vita as well.
Unfortunately though, it won't register buttons if you're using the joycons (or pro controller) wirelessly. It will only work when the joycons are attached to the system. I did dock and undock it and (outside of wireless controllers not working) seems to not cause any issues.

justinbug2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to try VA-11 HALL-A. The PC version would, unfortunately, crash the Switch.
However, an idea popped into my head. VA-11 HALL-A is on the Vita. What if I tried using that version?
To my surprise, it worked! The Vita version of VA-11 HALL-A works on the Switch. It seems to run fine. It has the same touchscreen capabilities as on the Vita as well.
Unfortunately though, it won't register buttons if you're using the joycons (or pro controller) wirelessly. It will only work when the joycons are attached to the system. I did dock and undock it and (outside of wireless controllers not working) seems to not cause any issues.
Im gonna try vita am2r now

Did not work either..

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Didn't know GM:S had Switch support, I thought the whole thing had to be ported to another engine/language. The thing is, there might not even be a YoYoCompiler for Switch yet, or it exists but is in beta and unstable/buggy, so maybe he had no choice.

I wouldn't exactly call it an exploit, you still need a hacked system to do it, but it is for sure a flaw in how the runner works, since not everyone is supposed to be able to just run anything they like on any platform, you have to pay extra to run stuff on other platforms than PC.

Fun fact, the same thing works to get Undertale running on Android.

It's in Beta right now, and officially there's only going to be Switch support in GM:S2. Sadly, I'm still stuck with GM:S, since I'm not willing to shell out a few hundred bucks for homebrew projects. :/

justinbug2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my copy cant get past the title screen. do i got a bad dump

Chocolate28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Vita version of VA-11 HALL-A works on the Switch. It seems to run fine. It has the same touchscreen capabilities as on the Vita as well.
Oh shoot, gonna have to try this out later. Thank you for notifying me of this. guessing saves won't work though which is sad.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did not work either..
my copy cant get past the title screen. do i got a bad dump
It's possible. I guess first make sure the dump works on the Vita first.
How did you grab the game files for A2MR, btw? I used VitaShell to decrypt Vallhalla and then copied the "games" folder (this is pretty much your romfs).

Oh shoot, gonna have to try this out later. Thank you for notifying me of this. guessing saves won't work though which is sad.
Yeah, saves won't work, unfortunately. I tried it both with layeredfs over Undertale and as its own NSP.
I'm reading that other games can't save either? Do other games also have the issue where controllers can't be used wirelessly?

Chocolate28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm reading that other games can't save either? Do other games also have the issue where controllers can't be used wirelessly?
Actually haven't tried playing with disconnected controllers yet, as i've been in airplane mode for the past couple of days testing this.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually haven't tried playing with disconnected controllers yet, as i've been in airplane mode for the past couple of days testing this.
No biggie! Fortunately, you can enable wireless controllers while still being in airplane in the settings.

I just right clicked and opened the vpk as a zip for am2r
Hmm, I'm not too sure then.
I guess I'll give it a look later. I was using the regular PSN version of Vallhalla.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This reminds me of a similar technique to put UNDERTALE into a dummy GM:S Android app to play that game on mobile.

So similar file replacing via GM:S been done before, but on the Switch, it's got a lot more potential.

Would be pretty nice to see stuff like AM2R and Super Mario Flashback playable, eventually, at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway