Modding NES mini Chinese clone

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to add some new games/delete the existing ones from this NES mini Chinese clone?

Attachments

• 620-games.png
    620-games.png
    546.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Classic-Mini-Game-Console-Classic-Game-Player-Built-in-620-Retro-Games.jpg
    Classic-Mini-Game-Console-Classic-Game-Player-Built-in-620-Retro-Games.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 136

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely not possible without a hardware modding, as mentioned before.

It's just an NES-on-a-chip with some flash memory and no external jtag port.

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone
I took have one of these types of clones (COOLBABY Family Computer System,) and like many of you are curious to see what the hell we can do with these besides the damned shovelware and cheap reprograms. Well so far with my hot air gun I was able to get my chip off the board. The board reads 5L256-A1. The chip that's attached to the board looks like whomever made it sanded off the information on the chip itself. But after looking at the pin out I'm pretty convinced that you could program a PicoPi! I'm starting to scratch the surface but I'm thinking that we can get these cheapy NES clones to work in our favor. I just gotta try to trace the pin outs of both.
Post automatically merged:

Here's a bit of an update: Here's one of those Retro gaming handhelds everyone got for Xmas. Notice anything?? Very similar and the plus: the Retro handheld chips info wasn't sanded off! The chip is a Samsung K5L2731CAA-D770 ULE098XYQ. I may sacrifice this one as well and might desolder the board with the assumed flash and see if anything is hidden under it

Attachments

• IMG_20230313_192955_037.jpg
    IMG_20230313_192955_037.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20230313_192811_041.jpg
    IMG_20230313_192811_041.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20230313_192614_835~2.jpg
    IMG_20230313_192614_835~2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20230313_191940_612.jpg
    IMG_20230313_191940_612.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20230313_231148_791.jpg
    IMG_20230313_231148_791.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20230313_231238_949.jpg
    IMG_20230313_231238_949.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20230313_231238_949~2.jpg
    IMG_20230313_231238_949~2.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by Chaoticus,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I took have one of these types of clones (COOLBABY Family Computer System,) and like many of you are curious to see what the hell we can do with these besides the damned shovelware and cheap reprograms. Well so far with my hot air gun I was able to get my chip off the board. The board reads 5L256-A1. The chip that's attached to the board looks like whomever made it sanded off the information on the chip itself. But after looking at the pin out I'm pretty convinced that you could program a PicoPi! I'm starting to scratch the surface but I'm thinking that we can get these cheapy NES clones to work in our favor. I just gotta try to trace the pin outs of both.

Here's a bit of an update: Here's one of those Retro gaming handhelds everyone got for Xmas. Notice anything?? Very similar and the plus: the Retro handheld chips info wasn't sanded off! The chip is a Samsung K5L2731CAA-D770 ULE098XYQ. I may sacrifice this one as well and might desolder the board with the assumed flash and see if anything is hidden under it
Oooh, interesting findings.

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But of an update: I worked the black mass off the Retro handheld (chip encased in it didn't survive) but here's a pic with those trace lines exposed that were once covered.

And because the pcb is so thin light almost shines through it xD

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_115908_BURST15.jpg
    IMG_20230326_115908_BURST15.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20230326_122238_BURST07~2.jpg
    IMG_20230326_122238_BURST07~2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by Chaoticus,

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone

https://baike.baidu.com/tashuo/browse/content?id=b35c4763c394090a433cc8e2

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd still prefer my COOLBABY RS-35 because its a perfect Famiclone and more affordable than the NES. You can adapt 72-pin NES cartridges with the use of a converter which although slightly pricier, is better said than done, and can also play the regular Famicom cartridges too. Despite its limitations such as the use of composite video and missing sound channels like square waves, I highly recommend it as a cheap alternative.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or if you want a three-figure expensive alternative, I saw some kind of new custom Famicom on AliExpress, with HD VGA output and stuff. Not sure if it was using original ICs from a real Famicom, but there were definitely multiple separate chips on the custom board.

• Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or if you want a three-figure expensive alternative, I saw some kind of new custom Famicom on AliExpress, with HD VGA output and stuff. Not sure if it was using original ICs from a real Famicom, but there were definitely multiple separate chips on the custom board.
I did notice that on AliExpress and I thought that looked pretty epic, despite it using similar components for the Dendy with its CPU and PPU.

Reactions: hippy dave

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an FPGA clone with the NES SPU attached to it.

For anyone curious or with deep pockets, this is what we're talking about: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804221492793.html

• Love

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone

Yep, I have one of these and it looks the same as those pics on the inside..

Edit: I don't have a handheld, I have a clone of the Mini. My bad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a