Modding a 360 Question...the SATA Part.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Gaisuto, Nov 30, 2008.

Nov 30, 2008
  1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I've modded my console before. But when it Red Ringed, Microsoft replaced the DVD Drive. It might be one I can still flash, but that's not why I never did it again. It was because my first computer I used to do it bricked, so I had no other way to do it. And every machine in the house is a laptop. So I figured there was nothing I could do.

So when at a friend's house today, he points out to me that the side of my Laptop has a SATA slot. Could I mod my 360 using this slot? I remember on my other machine I had to open it up and connect it directly to the motherboard...

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    thats an eSATA port
    find the chipset's on the motherboard
    to find out what SATA chipset that laptop has
    VIA 6421A is recommended due to most compatiblility
    which drive did you get?

3. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I've never checked since I got it. I always thought it was an unflashable ones but a friend said he didn't see certain colored wires meaning it might be possible...let me find out real fast and I'll edit this post with it.

Looks like the BenQ, but I don't know what the unflashable one looks like to compare it with.

And I can't remember how to find out what chipset it is. [​IMG]

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  5. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]
    Although looking into it...turns out the Unflashable one is a BenQ with yellow wires. Thing is, I can't freaking tell if they're white or yellow - It's too dark in here and I can't find a flash light. If it's yellow this is all for nothing. [​IMG]

6. Fusion

Member Fusion On/Off GBA-Temp'er

Dunno if this will work but i seen Sata to USB adators, maybe someone knows if he can use that?

Also if you want to do it real bad then buy a blaster360 addon it will make you able to flash your drive via USB & also to browse the HDD if you so want.

7. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Well after going through the pain in the ass process of finding a way to see inside it, I'm pretty sure it's the yellow wired one where there's nothing I can do about it. Not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure it's yellow. I'm depressed now... It'd be nice to see if the SATA port's the same though so I can help someone else out.

8. Fusion

ALL Benq drives are moddable. Its someone else that does the unmoddable ones but you can just exchange the DVD drive with a samsung/benq drive from ebay & your set to go.

Trust me about this one.

9. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Seriously? You can just buy another one and replace it just like that? Any extra steps that need to be done?

10. Fusion

Nope, cause its just the drive that changes, not the mobo, unless they do a revision but shhh dont tell 'em about that one [​IMG]

So yeah, you buy the drive take out the other one, hook this one in & your good to go but makes sure to change your drive id from the old one otherwise = instant ban as the serials vin number dont match up.

11. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    That would be what I consider an extra step...how simple is it to do that?
    And I've been trying to find out what my SATA Chipset is and I'm not having much luck. [​IMG]

12. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    well I think just hook your current drive up to the comp
    read the drive ID and save it
    get the new drive and hook it up to the comp and flash the old drive ID to it and flash it while you are there

13. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I have a laptop, is it possible to do that? Or do I have to use my friend's desktop?

14. Fusion

To hook up a new drive is as simple as pluging in the cable you took off in the first place, so you do it first by unpluging your drive & then you do it in reverse with the new drive to hook it up, simple [​IMG]

But as i said im 99.8% sure your current drive is moddable so get the latest ixtreme firmware for benq drives & flash it (yes you'll need the desktop if you want to do it this minute:)) but make sure to backup your current firmware & drive ID just in case (the drive ID if you want buy a new drive in future or not dont worry about the drive ID)

15. WeaponXxX

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    Sorry Gaisuto but I am 90% positive your not going to have the right chipset.

Intel mobo will most likely have a realtek esata chip.

To my knowledge only Nvidia occasionally carries the proper onboard chip.

Right click my computer, properties, device manager, and look for your esata controller.

16. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Some non-VIA chipsets are also confirmed to work. The only way for you to really know if yours will work is to just hook it up and see. If the drive doesn't get detected, well, it probably aint gonna work then.

17. golfrguy

Newcomer golfrguy Newbie

Japan
    1: You can't flash with a intel motherboard. You need a Nforce or VIA.

2.) You can not just swap drives. If you have a Lite-on which can not be modded you need to spoof the new drive which requires a tool such as the Xtractor360 to read the key off the Lite-on then spoof it on the new drive.

To tell the difference between the Lite-on and Benq, open your flace plate and look through the hole below the DVD Drive. If you see a yellow wire you have a Lite-on (not moddable unless you spoof) and white wire if you have a Benq.

18. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I'm pretty sure I got the yellow wires, I mentioned that last night. But I had a hard time getting a good look at it. I'm nearly completely sure I flashed my first 360 on an Intel board...

Oh well. I'm gonna get this thing modded somehow. A friend of mine does have a USB to SATA thing, he also has an easy to open machine so reaching a SATA on his should be quite easy. And buying a replacement drive is as easy as buying a replacement drive lol.

Just one fear I've had. The first time I did this, it worked flawlessly. The second time I did it for my friend's 360, on the same machine, the exact same instructions, I ended up bricking my computer. Is there a problem with doing it twice on the same machine or did I just **** something up really badly then without realizing it?

19. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Some Intel chipsets work [​IMG]

20. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you didn't ground the 360 to the computer case