Modder finds that Breath of the Wild uses "advanced" Mii file format for NPCs

Eq3DiNmXAAEKRKC.jpg

Every day, there are fans out there discovering new and interesting facts about video games. One such person was a Twitter user named HEYimHeroic, who figured out a curious detail about how The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild generates its NPCs. Apparently, the game uses a modified version of Nintendo's Mii format for its human characters, and through this and some "advanced" tweaking, you can inject your own custom Miis into Breath of the Wild. These files, called UMii's, use certain details from Mii characters, such as hair style, eye color, and facial hair, though not every detail gets transferred over. HEYimheroic reported that they'll be taking commissions to edit people's Miis into UMii files for use in modded versions of Breath of the Wild. with intent to share the method with the public once they understand more about the process.

So, do BotW NPCs use Miis? Both yes, and no.

Basically, they use an evolution of Miis, which the game's files call "UMii"s (which is what I'll be calling them from now on). UMiis have almost all the same parameters as Wii U/3DS Miis, with a few minor differences here and there, like moles no longer being supported.

However, BotW does not support every hairstyle Miis do. So, if you tried to load a hairstyle the game doesn't support, it instead calls a separate file, that essentially converts the unsupported hairstyle into a hair type that is supported and looks the most similar to the unsupported one, which is what happened with my personal Mii, Alice.

There's a lot more details I could go into, BUT I'd like to spread the word about this a bit more before other people start reposting my stuff, so I hope you don't mind. Thanks :)

:arrow: Source

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm shocked at the negativity. Even if it was "laziness", it opened the doors for a lot of interesting things. IE: Imagine if you ran into an NPC while traveling in BOTW. It turned out BOTW had scanned your switch/Wii U and friend lists, and chosen a Mii you/your friend made, and now they're a generic NPC. That woulda been awesome for fans if they figured that out.

there was so much potential with a system like this. feels like a proof of concept that may see use again in the future.

Edit: A friend I showed this mentioned something interesting: "Laziness" is the foundation of invention. We wouldn't have these computers or smartphones you all are messaging on if not for 'laziness'.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes a ton of sense! As rudimentary as the graphics were, the Mii format already has all the basic characteristics for character customization. Why reinvent the wheel? It saves development time to build off what you've already got. And it's not "lazy", it's just smart; clearly it didn't negatively impact the impression of the game, as nobody really looked at the characters and thought "these look like Miis." It took nearly 3 years before someone discovered this!

Very neat find.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just saying they didn't discover this and are using it to farm commisions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_...i_have_a_theory_that_they_ran_out_of_time_to/

50fe5eba828e00b5bdcb9f4ba82675a5.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But yeah instead of publication of the method going straight to commisions based on others data here you go

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a54es4684t5pb7i/BotW_Hylians_and_Sheikah.xlsx/file

Also, to better explain the way the UMii system works, since I explained it pretty horribly in that spreadsheet:
>BotW's actors all use a file called SBACTORPACK.
>Inside these SBACTORPACK files is a .bumii file
>this .bumii file contains all face info relating to minor Hylians and minor Sheikah (alongside color values for the other races)
>The face values match up identically with the values Miis have.
So you go into the .bumii, you replace the data with the Mii you want, and then you pack it back up and see the custom character in-game.
As an example, here's Rito Village's Jogo's values.
There's a Github that's publicly visible that shows off all the UMiis, though not all of them are Hylian. The spreadsheet lists who is a minor Hylian/Sheikah NPC though.
https://github.com/leoetlino/botw/tree/master/Actor/UMii

Not particularly, if what I've got so far is correct, just a bit time-consuming to actually get the Mii face values, which could be simplified with a converter or something.
The actual hard part so far has been backporting the Hylians as Miis, since there's certain differences between the two, but again, this got posted before I had enough info to be comfortable with at all.

Jogos_values_0.png

And the image comparison between Jogo in BotW, and when backported as a Mii. If you plug all those values into Mii Studio on the My Nintendo Website, it should come up as someone almost exactly the same.

Jogo_UMii_to_Mii_conversion.png

FYI this isn't my info thank random 4chan user for posting it

Or you plebs would be asking op for commission for simple ass things based on 2 year info

So yeah in actuality this person didn't discover anything just confirm it.
Then decided to play it off as their own info, not supply guide and then profit over nintendos ip which is a no no

Heres the rest

Screenshot_20210105-131102_Clover.png
Screenshot_20210105-131126_Clover.png

Also you cant use moles etc when importing miis they do not show so no double faces.

And certain hylian backports have mustaches even if the original didnt

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I want to make EVERY npc a clone of myself. I'll rename the world Lostbhoyrule! It will be now be known as Bald of the Wild :rofl2:

There are few items I believe that are not available for the Wii u version such as the red Switch t shirt....the only thing I can remember at the moment!
And that place will be just as empty as your bald head has been of ideas...

CoMedEe Is My paSsiOn

Reactions: Lostbhoy

atypicalchaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are few items I believe that are not available for the Wii u version such as the red Switch t shirt....the only thing I can remember at the moment!

There are no differences. I have both versions of the game and I have the DLC for the Wii U (this is how I played the game initially and didnt get the nx version until a couple yrs after)...one of the first dlc Items I got in the Wii U version was the Switch Tee...if I recall correctly it was a bonus for pre-purchasing the DLC.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And that place will be just as empty as your bald head has been of ideas...

CoMedEe Is My paSsiOn
Hey..... You can't use that word..... Bald is OUR word..... :teach::tpi:

There are no differences. I have both versions of the game and I have the DLC for the Wii U (this is how I played the game initially and didnt get the nx version until a couple yrs after)...one of the first dlc Items I got in the Wii U version was the Switch Tee...if I recall correctly it was a bonus for pre-purchasing the DLC.
Really? I didn't think it was available for Wii U at all.... Which is sorta true for those who did not pre purchase the dlc but I do stand corrected!

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to make EVERY npc a clone of myself. I'll rename the world Lostbhoyrule! It will be now be known as Bald of the Wild :rofl2:

oh it was pricelessly halarious when my friend playing the wii u version opened the chest and got the switch shirt XD
edit: if the pre edit version of this was seen...understand that I only just woke up >.<

Reactions: Lostbhoy

vaugerbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all the info we have now, I'd be cool to see either a PC or homebrew utility made to load in a UMii file and a Mii file and output the customized UMii file.

Last edited by vaugerbird,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_...i_have_a_theory_that_they_ran_out_of_time_to/

View attachment 240597

But yeah instead of publication of the method going straight to commisions based on others data here you go

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a54es4684t5pb7i/BotW_Hylians_and_Sheikah.xlsx/file

Also, to better explain the way the UMii system works, since I explained it pretty horribly in that spreadsheet:
>this .bumii file contains all face info relating to minor Hylians and minor Sheikah (alongside color values for the other races)
So you go into the .bumii, you replace the data with the Mii you want, and then you pack it back up and see the custom character in-game.
There's a Github that's publicly visible that shows off all the UMiis, though not all of them are Hylian. The spreadsheet lists who is a minor Hylian/Sheikah NPC though.

Not particularly, if what I've got so far is correct, just a bit time-consuming to actually get the Mii face values, which could be simplified with a converter or something.
The actual hard part so far has been backporting the Hylians as Miis, since there's certain differences between the two, but again, this got posted before I had enough info to be comfortable with at all.

View attachment 240598

And the image comparison between Jogo in BotW, and when backported as a Mii. If you plug all those values into Mii Studio on the My Nintendo Website, it should come up as someone almost exactly the same.

View attachment 240599

Or you plebs would be asking op for commission for simple ass things based on 2 year info

Then decided to play it off as their own info, not supply guide and then profit over nintendos ip which is a no no

Heres the rest

View attachment 240600 View attachment 240601

Also you cant use moles etc when importing miis they do not show so no double faces.

@Chary, add this to the first post so people don't inadvertently end up getting scammed, because I've been seeing this everywhere and this guy's Twitter getting shilled.

Last edited by Joom,

abda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

Every day, there are fans out there discovering new and interesting facts about video games. One such person was a Twitter user named HEYimHeroic, who figured out a curious detail about how The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild generates its NPCs. Apparently, the game uses a modified version of Nintendo's Mii format for its human characters, and through this and some "advanced" tweaking, you can inject your own custom Miis into Breath of the Wild. These files, called UMii's, use certain details from Mii characters, such as hair style, eye color, and facial hair, though not every detail gets transferred over. HEYimheroic reported that they'll be taking commissions to edit people's Miis into UMii files for use in modded versions of Breath of the Wild. with intent to share the method with the public once they understand more about the process.
yooo matt, i need to ask him how hard did he get embarrassed when i won the sword match :)

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 240597

View attachment 240598

I hope nintendo sue's this person for trying to make money off hacks.

View attachment 240599

Heres the rest

View attachment 240600 View attachment 240601

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare