modded Wii, can I do system update?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by esoterica, Jul 13, 2010.

Jul 13, 2010
  1. esoterica
    OP

Member esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I recently decided to pick up my Wii again and noticed that there was a new system update to 4.3. I assume I can't update it without bricking my Wii? IS the update pretty significant? Otherwise I would rather not have to deal with messing around in the Wii's internal files.

2. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    It's just another 4.2-like update: it eliminates JODI homebrew channel, attempts to patch IOS bugs, and attempts to fix security holes. But if you're one of those people who MUST be on the latest everything, there's a way to rehack once you're done, but you need Brawl for SmashStack or Lego Indiana Jones for Indiana Pwns, since Bannerbomb is dead, or some other way to run homebrew like a forwarder channel to WiiXplorer/loadmii.

My advice, don't update. Just update your IOSes with DOP IOS/Mii if you need to(for the shop/future disk games).

3. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    what ever you do, don't don't hold your breath for geohot to do anything.
    ..Yeah, I said it!

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    I realize everyone in this thread so far is likely a USA Wii owner, but for anyone else reading, be warned that the 4.3 update currently prevents virgin JAP and Korean wii's from being modded

if anyone owns a JAP or KOR softmodded Wii, that is SMv4.2 or less, you can PROTECT YOURSELF from accidental 4.3 updates by:

-install a forwarder channel (one that can load boot.dol's and boot.elf's), this can be used in place of an 'exploit' (since one doesn't exist on 4.3J and 4.3K Wii's)
    -Install cIOS249/250 (250 will survive the update) - Other cIOSs or patched IOSs may survive the update also

5. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    That's true. With a forwarder channel and a CIOS in some unused slot(like IOS 4(delete the stub) or 100 something, use something like MMM to install one), you can easily rehack.

6. killplaystation

United States
    heh heh... IOS4

Post number 420 haha, I'll tell you all what it means when you grow up, maybe by then you won't need someone like daxtsu to hold your balls while you hack your wii

7. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    huh? what ?

8. killplaystation

United States
    George hotz...the former king turned douche bag
    b acon